wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - boxes on europallet »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 1:18am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: SMQ, Icarus, Eigenray, william wu, Grimbal, towr, ThudnBlunder)
   boxes on europallet
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: boxes on europallet  (Read 2725 times)
riddler358

boxes on europallet  
« on: Feb 26th, 2014, 3:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

it's not really a riddle, more sth i was wondering

manufacturer puts boxes on europallet, that is 1,2m x 1m, let's say maximum allowed total height of boxes on pallet is 1,95m. boxes are all of the same sizes. is there any size of box for which most efficient way of putting them on pallet (meaning most boxes fit) would include some boxes put not perpendicular to pallet dimensions?

or first we could try simpler 2D version - we have rectangle that is 1,2m x 1m and infinitely many smaller rectangles of same size. is there any size of smaller rectangle for which most efficient way of putting them inside big rectangle would include putting some of them not perpendicular to big rectangle sides?
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2014, 3:32am by riddler358 » IP Logged
riddler358

Re: boxes on europallet  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26th, 2014, 6:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

ok, so i have found some interesting examples related to phrase square packing, guess reversing this problem gives easy solution to my question and squares and cubes can be easily found that are better packed with some of them tilted
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »