wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - MEDIUM: punctuation II : answer (i think) »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 25th, 2024, 1:22am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: Eigenray, towr, SMQ, Icarus, william wu, ThudnBlunder, Grimbal)
   MEDIUM: punctuation II : answer (i think)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MEDIUM: punctuation II : answer (i think)  (Read 1789 times)
DocBot

Email

MEDIUM: punctuation II : answer (i think)  
« on: Jul 26th, 2002, 7:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So, imagine me ("i") and "tom" as classmates, who just handed in our english homework.

I had had "had". Tom had had "had had". "Had had" had had the praise of the teacher.

This is a little fuzzy to me, but I think it makes sense. Correct me If I'm wrong.
IP Logged
Chris

Email

Re: MEDIUM: punctuation II : answer (i think)  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31st, 2002, 1:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

When I submitted this riddle, my understanding of the correct answer was the same as yours.

Just think about a couple of kids doing some writing in the classroom or something.

Chris
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #2 on: May 3rd, 2003, 8:50pm »

An improved version is:

i where tom had had had had had had had had had had had the better effect on the teacher
I, where Tom had had "had", had had "had had". "Had had" had had the better effect on the teacher.  

And if we change Tom's name to Had (short for Hadley), we can have:

i where had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had would have been better
I, where Had had had "had", had had "had had". Had Had had "had had", "had had" would have been better.

« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2003, 10:52pm by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Kevin Dunnicliffe

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 1st, 2003, 3:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I just joined up, and this thread reminded me ...
It is possible to construct a valid English sentence that has an infinite number of consecutive 'had's.
Just make a logical extension to Thud & Blunder's improved version.
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #4 on: Nov 1st, 2003, 7:11am »

It is not possible to construct anything of infinite length.

What you should say is "It is possible to construct a valid English sentence with any number of consecutive 'hads'."
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #5 on: Nov 1st, 2003, 10:28am »

on Nov 1st, 2003, 7:11am, Icarus wrote:
[sum]i=0[supinfty]i seems like the construction of an infinite sum to me.. even though it's finitely represented..
Perhaps a matter of interpretation..
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Nov 1st, 2003, 6:53pm »

Reference this 0.999... post, misconception (4), wherein I explain the difference between the mathematical concept of infinite processes, and the actuality of finite mathematics! Roll Eyes

Seriously, while it is possible to conceive and define matters of the infinite, it is impossible to actually make infinite constructions as anything other than concepts.

By the way, this difference is key to Godel's incompleteness theorem. If I understand the link the TimMann has recently posted in another thread (thanks for that, by the way!), then it is also key to the work of Turing.

Language rules are not like mathematics. They do not permit the infinite.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #7 on: Nov 1st, 2003, 7:14pm »

I haven't worked out the precise counstruction involved (having spent all of about 2 minutes reading the thread) but surely the true assertion closest to "It is possible to construct a valid English sentence that has an infinite number of consecutive 'had's." is "It is possible to construct a valid English paragraph that has at least any finite number of consecutive 'had's."

The punctuation involved in the explicit solutions always includes a period separating the string into at least two sentences. Also, it is unclear that a paragraph can be constructed with precisely any arbitrary number of 'had's even if you restrict "number" to [bbn].
IP Logged
TimMann
Senior Riddler

« Reply #8 on: Nov 1st, 2003, 11:25pm »

Had I been convinced of the existence of a valid English sentence containing the substring "had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had had ... had," would I have been had?

Here the ... represents a finite number of hads.  Or more if you like.  Shocked
IP Logged

http://tim-mann.org/
kevind

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 2nd, 2003, 3:26am »

OK, I'll retract the word "infinite" and substitute "any number".

First one needs to understand the "improved solution" in Thud's earlier response. Let us call the punctuated, consecutive string of n hads therein H1.
It is also possible to construct an alternative solution H2, in which the positions of the quoted "had" and "had had" substrings are reversed (ie Tom and I swapped sentences). Let us call that alternative H2, which also has n hads.
Now imagine two observers P1 and P2 commenting on those alternatives as follows:
P1, where P2 had H1, had H2.  

In the above sentence we have 2n+2 consecutive hads.

By recursion, any number of observers can imagine alternatives and comment on them using this sentence-schema.

I agree that language is not like maths: In language, I think we lack the necessary formalities to properly represent nested quotations like H1 and H2.  But it's fun to see just how far you can stretch it.

IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #10 on: Nov 2nd, 2003, 7:19am »

on Nov 1st, 2003, 6:53pm, Icarus wrote:
Language rules are not like mathematics. They do not permit the infinite.
They are very, very much like mathematics. Moreso, many grammars _are_ purely mathematical in nature. Of course those are the rules linguists invent, not the actual 'rules' (and I use the term very lightly) people use.
Real people make all kinds of mistakes, and are quite limited in what kind of sentences they can interpret, and it pretty much differs for every individual. So no amount of research will ever find a definite 'correct' grammar for all people that speak a certain language..
So linguist stick to more general grammars that pretty much accurately discribe what most people do. And one of the characteristics of most of these sorts of grammars is that they can generate arbitrarily long sentences, and you can even define 'infinite' sentences using simple recursion..
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
TimMann
Senior Riddler

« Reply #11 on: Nov 2nd, 2003, 1:13pm »

Let me add that there was actually serious point behind my earlier joke post. Even the initial solutions to this puzzle include mentions of "had", not just uses of it. That is, they have sequences of one or more occurrences of "had" in quotes -- they are quoting someone else saying "had", not using the word "had" functionally in the sentence. In fact, there's an implication that at least one of the mentions is quoting a use that was grammatically incorrect (it did not find favor with the teacher).

So I'd say that you can trivially get an arbitrarily long string of "hads" with this trick. It seems pretty slimy, but it's really no worse than in the original puzzle. (Well, maybe a little worse, since the quoted strings in the puzzle are at most 2 words long, so they are reasonably plausible as something that might have occurred on a student's paper.)
IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #12 on: Nov 4th, 2003, 2:12am »

How about this one with no quotation marks?

The child the parents had had had had had no breakfast.
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
TimMann
Senior Riddler

« Reply #13 on: Nov 4th, 2003, 11:00pm »

Hee hee.  Surrogate parents, I take it?
IP Logged

fatball
Senior Riddler

Can anyone help me think outside the box please?

« Reply #14 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 8:20pm »

I must be too lazy to think, but can someone tell me why the initial and improved had had had had.... solution is a solution? how to interpret them?
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #15 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 6:11am »

on Oct 20th, 2004, 8:20pm, fatball wrote:
I must be too lazy to think, but can someone tell me why the initial and improved had had had had.... solution is a solution? how to interpret them?

Imagine that two boys have written exam essays. And that in them, one boy wrote 'had' and the other boy wrote 'had had'. Does the discussion make more sense now?

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2004, 6:53pm by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: Oct 22nd, 2004, 9:32am »

on Nov 1st, 2003, 7:11am, Icarus wrote:

What you should say is "It is possible to construct a valid English sentence with any number of consecutive 'hads'."

Suppose a teacher asks the students to write down their stupidest activity today.  He sees a student busy writing, so he looks at his paper and reads:  
I am writing: "I am writing: "I am writing: "I am writing: "I am writing: "I am writing: "I am writing: "I am writing: "I am writing: "I am writing: "I am writing: "....
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: Oct 22nd, 2004, 6:36pm »

Yes, and should the student continue writing this sentence as fast as he can, alas, he will still die with only a finite number of repetitions.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »