wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - WHERE'S THE FATHER? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:26pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: towr, Grimbal, william wu, Icarus, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, SMQ)
   WHERE'S THE FATHER?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: WHERE'S THE FATHER?  (Read 23590 times)
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

WHERE'S THE FATHER?  
« on: Jul 28th, 2002, 1:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The mother is 21 years older than the child. In 6 years from now, the mother will be 5 times as old as the child. Question: Where's the father?  

All right... we can boil this down into two equations.

m = 21 + c
m + 6 = 5(c + 6)

where m and c are the ages of the mother and child.

Substitute 21 + c for m in the second equation...
21 + c + 6 = 5(c + 6)
27 + c = 5c + 30
0 = 4c + 3
-3 = 4c
-3/4 = c

So, the child is -3/4 years old. In other words, it's 9 months before it's born.  

Soo...the answer? Assuming that the human gestation period is exactly 9 months, well, then, the father is currently having sex with the mother.  

IP Logged
Gareth Pearce

Email

Re: WHERE'S THE FATHER?  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28th, 2002, 6:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Actually, since the child exists, implied by the statement that the mother is 21 years older ...
hes more likely to be asleep... (given the mother is 20 and 3 months, probable likelihood suggests he hasnt just walked out the door instead... maybe)
IP Logged
Darin Seidel

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29th, 2002, 6:49am »

Unless you assume that the mother was artificially inseminated, in which case the father could be anywhere  Grin
IP Logged
Court Jester

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 3:15pm »

jeremiahsmith's solution is sound enough and correct, think in terms of months instead of years and it all makes sense.
IP Logged
Adhamhnon

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 7th, 2002, 6:52pm »

Actually, the riddle doesn't give the neccesary information to come to the conclusion... 21 and how many months older?  If you do the math in a different way... you get..

21+6=27
27/5=5.4
12/10*4 (the decimal of the year) =4.8

So unless the baby is born exactly 4.2 months premature... the father is off drinkin with his buddies.
That is based on an exact 21 year difference in age.
IP Logged
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 8th, 2002, 9:10am »

on Oct 7th, 2002, 6:52pm, Adhamhnon wrote:
Actually, the riddle doesn't give the neccesary information to come to the conclusion... 21 and how many months older?

21 years and zero months, apparently, because if the months had been important they would have been mentioned.

Quote:
If you do the math in a different way... you get...

...the wrong answer. It's simple algebra, here, folks.
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 8th, 2002, 9:42am »

The important thing is that the human gestation period may be "9 months (plus one week)", but the start of those nine months is measured, not from the moment of conception, but from the start of the last menstrual period before conception. There are usually two weeks between these two events. Therefore, at this time it is one week before conception. There are, of course, many explanations:

a) The father is just ending his tour of duty, and will be back to his family in just a week.

b) The father is eyeing the mother in a bar.

c) The father is running around, preparing for his wedding in one week.

etc.
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

« Reply #7 on: Oct 9th, 2002, 10:27am »

*sigh* Way to ruin a good math joke with details, guys. Cheesy
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 9th, 2002, 11:42am »

One could argue that a truly good math joke would be correct...
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Brian Lee

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 7th, 2002, 1:20am »

I'm new here...
Do you guys always beat everything to death like this?
 Smiley
IP Logged
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

« Reply #10 on: Nov 7th, 2002, 4:55pm »

Yes. As a matter of fact, oftentimes we don't stop when it's dead, and we continue beating it until it has been obliterated into its component particles. Cheesy
IP Logged
TimMann
Senior Riddler

« Reply #11 on: Nov 7th, 2002, 6:07pm »

Then we take the particles, mold them into something that is almost but not quite entirely different from the original, and start beating on that.  Grin
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2002, 7:28pm by TimMann » IP Logged

http://tim-mann.org/
Jeremy

ChipBuddy
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 8th, 2002, 6:56am »

and then we jump on them... and we continue to jump on them untill we can think of something more nasty to do.
IP Logged
fenomas

emoticonoclast

« Reply #13 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 1:36am »

I've been grasping with this, since a negative age is so unsatisfying. (Have you ever heard a pregnant mother say her baby is -2/9 years old?) It seems like there should be some possibilities based around the fact that, in common parlance, ages are always integral-- that is, someone who is 10 years and 2 months old is normally considered to have an age twice that of someone who is 5 years and 11 months. But I can't find any cool solutions making use of that. So I'm stuck with this:

One day about noon, a mother, aged 24, is sitting around with her daughter, age 3.  They are talking about the how incredibly unlikely their situation is. The least of it is that they share a birthday, the mother having celebrated hers earlier that day, and the daughter due to be age 4 sometime that evening.  Precisely 6 years later, they are once again discussing the amazing coincidence that the mother's age is now exactly 5 times the daughter's. Of course, this coincidence rather pales in comparison to the fact that both mother and daughter's birthday is February 29th, so the mother has seen only one birthday since their earlier conversation, and the daughter only two (making their ages now 25 and 5).  (Mind you, the really amazing thing is that the daughter was born more than 80 years after the mother was!)

What do you think? Reaching? Smiley
IP Logged
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

« Reply #14 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 9:16am »

Umm...people born on February 29th still get older in non-leap years, too...
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #15 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 11:29am »

but they don't have birthdays in non-leap years..

(everyone gets older in between birthdays too, but usually age is measured by birthdays)
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2002, 11:42am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
fenomas

emoticonoclast

« Reply #16 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 4:55pm »

on Dec 16th, 2002, 9:16am, jeremiahsmith wrote:
Umm...people born on February 29th still get older in non-leap years, too...

Yeh, and unborn children don't have negative ages, other than by the sort of logic where you see one person go into a house and two come out, and deduce that the house has -1 people in it. So how about some slack? :/

Anyway, I never said the mother was "N years old", I said she was "aged N". So its a question of whether you define age in terms of years lived or birthdays seen. Given that my degree is in physics, it shouldn't surprise you that I chose the convention that would result in the answer I was looking for! Cheesy
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #17 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 5:58pm »

Quote:

(everyone gets older in between birthdays too, but usually age is measured by birthdays)

I've known several people who were born on Feb 29, but none of them truly counted their age by birthdays! Age is traditionally truncated to the nearest year, or the nearest month for kids, but that is not the same as by birthday.

Quote:
Given that my degree is in physics, it shouldn't surprise you that I chose the convention that would result in the answer I was looking for!

Sorry, but a convention has to exist before you can choose it, and counting age by birthday is never done seriously. I have to agree with Jeremiah.

However, you could fix this by saying "On the mother's 24th birthday ...". Then this problem goes away.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:01pm by Icarus » IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
fenomas

emoticonoclast

« Reply #18 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 10:27pm »

on Dec 16th, 2002, 5:58pm, Icarus wrote:

Sorry, but a convention has to exist before you can choose it, and counting age by birthday is never done seriously. I have to agree with Jeremiah.

However, you could fix this by saying "On the mother's 24th birthday ...". Then this problem goes away.

No offense, me being a newbie and all, but if you're so enamored of following conventions literally, you might want to take another look at what I said about negative ages.

Anyway, if we're going to be technical, saying "on the mother's 24th birthday" doesn't really help my solution at all -- the problem specifically stipulates "the mother is 21 years older than the child". So my leap years idea doesn't fly, and even using integral ages goes against the way the problem is posed.  

Wait a minute-- I've just shown an enormous flaw in my own idea... It's almost as if I knew the solution wasn't really literally valid when I made it!!! Bizarre... why would someone do such a thing?
IP Logged
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

« Reply #19 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 12:19am »

Still, though, most people, after giving it some thought, would likely interpret a negative age as being before birth. It's not a normal convention by any means, I agree, but if you asked a bunch of people how old someone would be at negative 6 months, after a second or two, they'd likely say "Six months before they were born."  

Or they'd just look at you funny.

Anyway, it's the only interpretation that would conceivably (ha ha pun) tell you where the father is Cheesy
IP Logged
fenomas

emoticonoclast

« Reply #20 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 1:19am »

on Dec 17th, 2002, 12:19am, jeremiahsmith wrote:
Anyway, it's the only interpretation that would conceivably (ha ha pun) tell you where the father is Cheesy

Oh contraire, Jeremiah, in my solution, the father is clearly in a grave, having died from the shock of conceiving a daughter with a woman born more than eighty years previous. Smiley

Jokes aside, I know all what you're saying- before I plugged in the numbers, I had a feeling that the answer was going to imply that the question takes place at the time of conception or of birth, for the sake of bringing the father into it. It's not as if the leap year thing was the first answer I arrived at! But after banging around looking for a clever answer that relies on integer math for ages and not finding one, I had an idea for a method that worked, but only if you accepted a patently incorrect (but sort of almost-logical) conception of "age". I thought such a solution was kind of funny--  mathematically consistent, yet painfully wrong. Thus my comment, "What do you think? Reaching?" Mind you, I'm all for being rigorous-- If you'd pointed out a problem with my math, I'd have been duly humbled. But if someone is going to pick at the logic underlying my (logically absurd) solution, naturally I must defend myself.

Possibly I'm being frivolous in a board where that's frowned on; I just arrived.  If that's the case, then a big "my bad" out to everyone...  m(_)m  But surely its excusable if I was being frivolous in a mathematically correct way?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »