wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - RANDOMIZED ICE CREAM »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 4:11pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: SMQ, william wu, Eigenray, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, towr, Grimbal)
   RANDOMIZED ICE CREAM
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: RANDOMIZED ICE CREAM  (Read 7287 times)
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

Re: New Puzzle: RANDOMIZED ID NUMBERS  
« Reply #25 on: Aug 19th, 2002, 1:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

very nice fix! ok, i'll change it back to ice cream later. thanks!
IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
Simon_Pelletier

Re: RANDOMIZED ICE CREAM  
« Reply #26 on: Apr 28th, 2003, 7:17am »

Hum, I see a problems with kids waiting in line while I type some numbers on my calculator  Grin

I think a better solution would be to choose N as the number of kids in line - this way you're not only sure to get a cone (you won't pass the last cone without noticing everyone has one), but also it's a lot faster to pass cones - and we know kids don't like to wait  Tongue
IP Logged
Chronos

WWW Email

« Reply #27 on: Apr 28th, 2003, 10:04pm »

Is it coincidence that this thread was brought back up just in time for a real free ice cream day?
IP Logged
c

« Reply #28 on: Mar 24th, 2012, 1:06pm »

If i may, i think it's worthwhile to re-state Jonathan's observation: "I had thought that when the vendor handed you a cone, you needed to decide whether to keep that cone permanently or pass on it forever. Rather, he'll hand you a cone and you must decide whether to pass the new cone or the one you were already holding" - this is much clearly explained in the original version. The fact that your choice isn't final should be emphasized IMO.

Also, this next issue has been my fault, but another bit of info that i missed was "you will only know that total once the supply runs out and the vendor closes the truck". When i first read the version currently posted in the riddles section, i didn't register that "ALL cones need differ, EVER", so i came up with a strategy of wait until flavour comes back to chocolate, then you know how many there are and can easily generate the distributions (only this time it's from N down to 1). After all, it seems a bit silly to assume there is exactly one scoop for each flavour. Circular repetition is a more intuitive expectation, particularly if thinking there are more kids than potential flavours - which is usually the case. Embarassed
IP Logged
keithgilabert

Keith Gilabert, "Life is but a dream."

Keith Gilabert RANDOMIZED ICE CREAM  
« Reply #29 on: May 13th, 2012, 8:01pm »

This is chaotic math.  The answer lies in the flavor of the ice cream.

Good riddle,

Keith Gilabert
IP Logged
yevvi

« Reply #30 on: May 21st, 2015, 9:14pm »

If anyone still cares, i think we need to change back to the original wording.  The new wording on the riddles page is really confusing.  Nowhere it implies that i m allowed to choose between 2 cones each time.  The way i understood it was that i m seeing only one cone at a time and need to decide whether to keep it or pass it on, in which case the problem has no solution.  Now after reading this forum page i finally understand the problem correctly.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »