wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Trees for Willywutang »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 1:57pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: Grimbal, william wu, SMQ, towr, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, Icarus)
   Trees for Willywutang
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Trees for Willywutang  (Read 4074 times)
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

Trees for Willywutang  
« on: Sep 19th, 2002, 7:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So, Willywutang has (somehow) managed to get himself a nice big mansion. The mansion has a nice huge yard in front. However, the yard is completely flat and boring, so Willy decides it'd look nice with a few trees in front. So, he has a landscaper come in to put in some trees. Being the puzzlemeister that he is, Willy decides to give the landscaper a riddle: Plant 9 trees in the yard, so that there are 10 rows of three trees each. Help the poor landscaper decide how to place the trees.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2003, 7:42pm by Icarus » IP Logged
Pietro K.C.

115936899 115936899    

Re: PUZZLE - Trees for Willywutang  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21st, 2002, 11:01pm »

We assume the yard is so big that in fact if goes all the way around the Earth. So the landscaper just has to place the 10 trees in a straight line, equally spaced. Let them be T1, ... T10. Then (T1,T2,T3) is a row, (T2,T3,T4) is a row, ..., (T10,T1,T2) is a row, and so there are 10 three-tree rows in all. Grin
IP Logged

"I always wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked it up in the dictionary under 'L' and there it was --- the meaning of life. It was not what I expected." (Dogbert)
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22nd, 2002, 3:44pm »

Oh. Hm.  

I should say that you can't count partial rows, as it were. If you had five in a row, you couldn't count three separate three-tree rows. For a row of three to count, there can only be three collinear trees.

Plus, Willy's yard isn't the size of the world.
IP Logged
Pietro K.C.

115936899 115936899    

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22nd, 2002, 4:53pm »

Well, that DOES make it a lot more complicated... I've given it some thought, how about this:

-place 3 collinearly;
-make that the side of an equilateral triangle of 6 trees, like the following:
 . .
. . .
this gives us 3 rows;
-add a 7th tree in the middle of the triangle, making 6 rows (the sides plus the three medians/angle bisectors/heights)

Now we have 2 more trees to make four more rows, which should be feasible... I just don't see how right now. If you have a quadrilateral with tree vertices, adding a tree at the diagonals' intersection gives you an additional 2 rows, but you said we can't count partial rows.

Wait! I got it! Go like this:

. . .
. . .

Ha-ha! Smiley Notice that I no longer mean the second dot on the second line to mean the center of the equilateral triangle. I mean it just where it is. Numbering the dots in reading order, we have the 3-tree rows:

123, 456, 789 (across)
148, 159 (diagonals starting at 1)
247, 258, 269 (at 2)
357, 368 (at 3)

Yay!
IP Logged

"I always wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked it up in the dictionary under 'L' and there it was --- the meaning of life. It was not what I expected." (Dogbert)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »