wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Cryptic Address »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 8:08am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, towr, Grimbal, Eigenray, Icarus, SMQ, william wu)
   Cryptic Address
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cryptic Address  (Read 14898 times)
Garzahd

mlahut

Re: Cryptic Address  
« Reply #25 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 12:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Perhaps this reasonable-sounding address is actually a major landmark in your hypothetical universe. Clearly, any self-respecting hypothetical postman must have lived in a cave all his life if he can't recognize this address on sight.
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #26 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 8:12pm »

Here is the original address.
Wood, S  
April  
England  

It seems that Mr. Fingas acknowledges the following:

April Underwood
Andover
England

Which leaves us with the street address (manic depression)

So we need something to go like this:
April Underwood
Huh??
Andover  
England

Upon stating the obvious we have only to do a little creative straw grasping. Lets stay with the prepositions and see where we can go.  

Using the comma and the S, we might say  
April Underwood  
S after Comma
Andover
England

No. Not yet.  

April Underwood  
Andover  
England  

Maybe, but it just doesnft have that gAhah quality that the correct answer better have if Mr. Fingas intends to avoid a riddle led fatwa.  

April Underwood
S on the upper right
Andover  
England

Maybe this is stretching a bad thing too far.  

April Underwood
Commons over April
Andover
England

Like quicksand, the more one thrashes, the more one's position becomes untenable.  

April Underwood
House of Commons
Andover  
England

Is this OK? Comma + on + s  

April Underwood
Es comma over her
Andover
England

Ow, I think I'm developing a cramp in my brain
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
Capn_Curry

« Reply #27 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 9:31pm »

Speaker, I followed you right up until  

April Underwood  
Andover  
England  

Where did you drum up 19 from?

To add to the manic gyrations of your own riddle-captured mind, let me add some things that bounced around in mine:

April Underwood
Wood Commons
Andover
England

As Speaker mentioned, it's kind of a stretch to get commons from comma s, and I'm not sure I like "Wood" showing up twice in the solution.

April Underwood
South Wood
Andover
England

This is following the reasoning that names are often listed "Last name, first name," and this portion of the address sits where a name would.  It's not got a number, though, and that troubles me.

The only kind of number I can pull out of this riddle is the one comma, which is why I'm extra keen to see where Speaker got 19 from.

Well, I've puzzled till my puzzler is sore.  Looking forward to seeing what else is said on the mysterious matter of the Cryptic Address.  Smiley
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #28 on: Jan 10th, 2003, 1:01am »

ABC easy as 123...

Michael Jackson told me that S is 19.  

But if the address was hand written, then maybe the S is actually a 5.  

IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
Cyrus

20405085 20405085    

« Reply #29 on: Jan 10th, 2003, 8:34am »

I figure I might as well take a stab at this street address too:

19 Upright St. or  
19 South Upright St  
(s = 19th letter in upper-right corner)  

or

4157 South Upright St.  
(4 letters in Wood, 1 in S, 5 in April, 7 in England)  

or how about this for a stretch . . . .  

1,019 South Upright St.

I'll see if I can think of some more, or maybe someone can improve on my ideas.
IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #30 on: Jan 10th, 2003, 5:39pm »

April Underwood
One Post S
Andover, England
IP Logged
udippel

« Reply #31 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 8:57pm »

What would be the logic behind this but a guess?

Maybe I'm wrong, but usually we'd write 4 lines of address to a foreign country, like:
Name
Street
Place
Country

And since in the original text we have one empty line above the first, I was trying something to fill that one. Like  
April Twotoolow
Wood, 19
Andover
England

Alas, without reasonable result, as you see.
But what about the idea in general? Undecided
IP Logged
redPEPPER

« Reply #32 on: Jan 13th, 2003, 6:59am »

The "Andover" part only works if you previously have "under", or "below" or something similar.  As in:
April under wood blah blah, and over england.

This riddle is so fuzzy that I don't think the official answer is strong enough to be claimed as the most logical possibility.
IP Logged
Capn_Curry

« Reply #33 on: Jan 13th, 2003, 10:52am »

RedPepper, I think that's true.  Gauging from the last few posts, it looks like we're really off-track as far as logical problem solving is concerned.  The forums remind us that the reasoning used to arrive at a solution is more important than the solution itself, but there's no reasoning to be had anywhere... all the solutions we're coming up with involve lateral thinking.  

I've never seen a lateral thinking puzzle that was able to be solved just upon hearing the problem.  In fact, lateral thinking puzzles are intended to be interactive, with the person who posed the problem answering 'yes' or 'no' questions about it until the solution is arrived at.  The reason for this is that there are so many possible answers to fit a puzzle, one could never arrive at the 'correct' answer without having benefit of the yes and no answers.

I think the questions we need to approach are these:  If there is a logical solution, as opposed to an intuitive one, why haven't we been hitting on it?  If there is no logial solution, only a lateral thinking answer, how are we to determine the 'correct' one out of the dozens of possibilites we have presented?  Can we begin to ask "yes" or "no" questions of Mr. Fingas?

Just my thought process on paper (screen, you know what I'm talking about......)

- Cap'n Curry
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #34 on: Jan 13th, 2003, 1:50pm »

redPepper,

I'm disturbed that you don't think the "official" answer will be logical--would I ever try to be confusing and cryptic? Wink The street address is actually very logical--more so than any of the solutions presented so far, and more so than the rest of the puzzle. That being said, it requires a lot of lateral thinking to figure out what the street address is.

The whole puzzle is relatively logical too (a little less than the original, but whatever...). As you have pointed out so far, the address:

Wood, S
April
England

can be read as "April, under 'Wood, S' and over England", which can be parsed: "April Underwood, <street address>, Andover, England".

Hint: I would also like to say that the street address is encoded a little differently from the rest of the puzzle (ie. it does not depend on the position of words like the rest of the puzzle does).
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
redPEPPER

« Reply #35 on: Jan 13th, 2003, 4:16pm »

Good thing the postman didn't send this to a Mrs "Bellawood" in "Andon" instead, hm?
IP Logged
Capn_Curry

« Reply #36 on: Jan 13th, 2003, 6:22pm »

And now, knowing the track we should be on, we can discard the lateral thinking portion of the puzzle and work on the logic.  If we are to to take

Wood, S
April
England

And parse out

April Underwood
<Street Address>
Andover
England

We've used everything except the comma, the S, and the space separating them.  We now have to logically decode the string ", S" into a street address; namely, a house number and a street name.  Being that the postman who was able to deliver the letter is assumed to have read the address off of a paper envelope, we can probably assume that we don't need any computer-based aid to decrypt this, such as ASCII tables or the like.  

For my two cents at this point in the game, the only number I can see in there is Speaker's 19 (from S's ordinal value), or the total of three characters.  These, then, are the only street addresses I can see in the mix:

19 Comma Space
19 Common Space
Space 19

If anybody else has any spark of inspiration, post it here... we're starting to home in on this one as a group, and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before someone posts something that leads someone else to the answer.

- Cap'n Curry
IP Logged
udippel

« Reply #37 on: Jan 13th, 2003, 7:12pm »

Makes some sense. It was said that the street had been added. That means, the original one must have been around

Wood
April
England

otherwise no  

April Underwood
Andover
England

or not ??

The street added was the addition of  
, S
not lateral and position independant, somehow. And no Hex- or Binary stuff either, correct? ASCII?? Blank = 32
Comma is an interval (musics), bacteria or butterfly.
Comma is not-dot and not-semicolon and not-colon
 ... and now I'm lost!
IP Logged
Cyrus

20405085 20405085    

« Reply #38 on: Jan 14th, 2003, 9:25am »

How about PO Box 19 or Suite 19??
IP Logged
Capn_Curry

« Reply #39 on: Jan 14th, 2003, 2:05pm »

I had thought about the P.O. box thing, but the answer has always come up in terms of "street address"... and there doesn't seem to be anything to suggest box in the puzzle.  As for suite 19, it's a possibility, but we'd still be needing a number and street name.  A suite number alone won't deliver a letter.

Incidentally, this riddle has become a small part of my daily routine... get home from work, check e-mail, read the responses to this puzzle, boggle over it for a bit, short nap... half of me wants the puzzle to go on forever, and the other half is developing a nervous tick over mailing addresses.   Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #40 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 1:17am »

Back for the daily dose.  

Maybe the S needs to stand alone. Maybe the comma is just to set it apart from the rest of the information in that line, this is the common use of commas anyway.  

So maybe if the address was handwritten, the S really is a 5.

And, that leads me to  
April Underwood
Andover
England

But, not good enough.

James said that the S was not dependent on its position in the cryptic address, otherwise, I would say  

5 on April St.  (as the S is on April, and the S is actually a 5). And street, because that is expected in an address.  

However, there are other street address words,  
Avenue  
Road
Boulevard
Route
Street
RFD
Lane
ROW
Way
Highway
Freeway
Track
Alley
Course
Byway
Row
Path

And, I am sure their are more.  
IP Logged

wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #41 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 5:49am »

How about reading the relevant part as "one capital 's'", thus: 1 Capital Street?
(I deliberately preclude the existence of a "Capitol Street" even in fictitious Andover.)
IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
udippel

« Reply #42 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 9:09am »

Well possible ...
My hopes are that *the* solution is better, if it comes out ever. So far we haven't had anything that falls into its place like the last piece of a puzzle. And this is what we expect, don't we !
The  
1, Capitol Street is a nice one, but we (at least myself) are looking for better, since it doesn't offer any hook to attach confidence. It remains probable only.

My proposals are worse, though:
4, Blank Street
(4 letters-comma-blank-S)
4, Right Street
(right-hand side of address field)
4, Spaces
(space-S)
Right Spaces
(right-hand spaceS)
4, Milky Way
(Space Street)
... and worse rubbish.

Good night !
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #43 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 9:33am »

Wowbagger,

I really like 1 Capital Street, but the problem with many answers suggested so far is that there's not much justification for putting "street" after them. 'S' could be interpreted as "one capital" or even "one capital s", but then it takes a leap of faith to stick "street" on the end. "The" answer justifies the road-type word at the end.
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #44 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 9:37pm »

April Underwood
On that big double curve
Andover
England

Or something different.
IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #45 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 10:27pm »

April Underwood
19th Ltr
Andover
England

IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #46 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 12:23am »

April Underwood
19th Post.
Andover
England

(Post. as an abbreviation for Position)
(Above, Ltr as an abbreviation for Letter)
(Howabout 19th LT as in letter and something that means street.)
IP Logged

Capn_Curry

« Reply #47 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 2:05am »

How about:

April Underwood
One Comma Space, South
Andover
England

Kinda similar to a couple answers we've already had, but this one feels to me like it has a better fit.
IP Logged
Yo Mamma

Email

« Reply #48 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 4:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How about...

April Underwood
1 S St
Andover, England

IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #49 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 6:04pm »

James Fingas said the answers that pull the number or the term "street" out of nowhere are incorrect.  Only two interpretations so far sort of make sense to me.  "One Comma Space, South" is one of the few answers that reads correctly except it uses "Space" as the type of location or street.  I never heard of that but maybe.

The suggestion of "One Post S" is the other that makes some sense.  There is single post S at the end of the first line.  April Underwood might live on a military base or along a national border with different posts identified by letter.  I know some streets are named by letter, for example there is an "Avenue S" in Palmdale, California.

Since everyone is throwing out far fetched ideas, here is another.  The S is at the end of line, so it is followed by a carriage return (CR).  Looking in a table of abbreviations, SCR is an abbreviation for "South Circular Road", but unfortunately that is in Dublin not Andover, England.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »