wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Natural Number Challenge »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 9:01am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: SMQ, william wu, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, towr, Icarus)
   Natural Number Challenge
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Natural Number Challenge  (Read 1027 times)
Johno-G

Could God create a wall that he could not jump?

Email

Natural Number Challenge  
« on: Jan 10th, 2003, 1:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm not exactly sure how hard this problem is, as I was simply told how to do this in a lecture. (although I'm sure there must be more than one way...). It involves no actual mathematical working, and is supposed to be just a little bit of creative mathematical thinking!
Please, no spoil-sports letting everyone else in on the solution - make 'em work for it!

Challenge: Construct the set of natural numbers* from nothing. You are not allowed to use addition or multiplication.

* - By the set of natural numbers, I mean {0,1,2,3,...}.
IP Logged
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

Re: Natural Number Challenge  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10th, 2003, 2:11pm »

What do you mean by "construct from nothing"?
IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
Johno-G

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10th, 2003, 2:21pm »

I mean use nothing. Not the number zero, but the concept that there 'is nothing there'. The way I've learned it doesn't actually involve anything other than an abstract concept.
Once you know what this concept is, the rest shouldn't be overly difficult.
I hope that clears things up a little?
IP Logged
Garzahd

mlahut

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10th, 2003, 3:39pm »

You're not making any sense.

Either give us a clue about this abstract concept, or please lecture us.
IP Logged
Johno-G

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10th, 2003, 3:45pm »

OK, sorry if I was a bit vague - I don't think I could've explained it without giving away exactly what you've got to do!
Think about constructing sets of different lengths. See if you can find a way of always creating another (remember - each element in a set must be different) set with exactly one more element in it.
IP Logged
Johno-G

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10th, 2003, 3:46pm »

Again, sorry if I'm not making myself too clear, but too much clarity leads to a far too easy problem!
IP Logged
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10th, 2003, 4:08pm »

I think he's talking about the abstract way of creating the naturals using sets. Using @ to represent the empty set, since I can't do the circle-with-a-slash:

0 is @
1 is {@}
2 is { @, {@} }, I think.
Each number is the set of all the numbers below it. Or something. I'm taking abstract algebra, next semester, and I'll learn all this fun stuff.

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2003, 4:09pm by Jeremiah Smith » IP Logged
redPEPPER

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10th, 2003, 5:26pm »

Interesting.  Although you started with something: the concept of Ø.  It's as much nothing as zero is nothing, only in different fields.

Anyway, this demonstration rings a bell, but I don't remember the specifics.  How does that construct the natural numbers?  Does it have their properties?  Can you add them or something?  I can see the cardinal of each set is a natural number.  But that involves the concepts of set, cardinality and ... natural numbers!
IP Logged
Johno-G

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 11th, 2003, 1:52am »

To create the natural numbers, you simply need something that can be quantified, and that can only go up in descrete ammounts. The natural numbers are created by looking at how many elements are in a set. Using Jeremiah's notation of @ to represent {}, the empty set, we get:
@ is a set with 0 elements, giving you something you can quantify as being 'zero',
{ @ } is a set with 1 element,
{ @ , {@} } is a set with 2 elements,
{ @ , {@} , {{@}} } is a set with 3 elements, et cetera.
(think induction hereSmiley As long as you have a starting point, (the empty set), you can take any set A with n elements, and if you then take   A union {A}   you will get a set with n+1 elements. Obviously, you can do this ad infinitum, so you have created an infinite number of sets, each of distinct lengths.

On a footnote, I can see your point about having to start with concepts, but I'd regard those as not actually being anything. Zero is a peculiar one, but you can have before you ZERO apples, you can't have zero sets before you, and you can't have any number of sets before you.
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 8:34pm »

Actually, there are several ways to model the natural numbers. All of them involve a certain amount of mathematical sophistication to do, including the set-theoretic version offered by Jeremiah and Johno himself. (When you get down to it, set theory involves very complex concepts.)

A different approach is the one used by Euclid, who effectively defined Natural numbers (actually all positive real numbers) as equivalence classes of pairs of line segments. This approach, which I am not going to describe here, could be considered less elementary than the set-theoretic one, since geometry requires set theory, but conceptually it is easier in some ways. After all, the Greeks came up with it more than 2000 years before Cantor provided the set-theory version.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »