wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Prime power gcd »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 5:14am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, william wu, Icarus, towr, SMQ)
   Prime power gcd
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Prime power gcd  (Read 606 times)
NickH
Senior Riddler

Prime power gcd  
« on: Mar 17th, 2003, 3:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Let p, m, and n be positive integers, with p an odd prime and m odd.

Show that gcd(pm-1,pn+1) = 2.

(gcd = greatest common divisor.)
IP Logged

Nick's Mathematical Puzzles
BNC
Uberpuzzler

Re: Prime power gcd  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19th, 2003, 3:36am »

Hey, I'm probably missing something, but won't p be a common divisor as well (possibly greater than 2)?

<later addition>
Oops, sorry! I thought the (+1) and (-1) are in the power...
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2003, 1:23pm by BNC » IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19th, 2003, 4:14am »

I don't think so.

Suppose p divides the gcd, so it divides pm-1, too. However, p divides pm (obviously), so it would have to divide 1 as well!?

Believe it or not, I can prove that
  gcd (pm-1, pn+1) >= 2  Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2003, 4:28am by wowbagger » IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19th, 2003, 5:42pm »

If A(M)=pM-1 and B(N)=pN+1 are each multiples of a common divisor d>1, with M and N positive odd integers (not necessarily equal to the m and n in the orginal problem statement) then there are three possiblities:
  • M=N: the common factor must be 2
  • M>N: there is an odd positive integer j<M such that A(j) is a multiple of d
  • N>M: there is an odd positive integer k<N such that B(k) is a multiple of d

If M>N, replace M by j and repeat, and if N>M, replace N by k and repeat. Lather, rinse, repeat until M=N at which point it has been shown that the common divisor must be 2.

Now to prove the above claims.  Obviously 2 is a common divisor, and d is not a factor of p. This is tedious to type (and probably to read), so please forgive me for not formatting all the exponents to look nice.

If M=N:  A(M)+B(N)= 2*p^M must be a multiple of d, and d is relatively prime to p, so d is 2.

If M>N:  A(M)+B(N)=p^M+p^N=p^N*(p^(M-N)+1)=p^N*B(M-N) is a multiple of d and therfore so is B(M-N).  Next find the difference between and B(N) and B(M-N) which is a multiple of d.  N cannot equal M-N because N is odd and M-N is even.  If N>M-N, B(N)-B(M-N)=p^(M-N)*A(2*N-M), and A(2*N-M) is a multiple of d with 0<2*N-M<M.  If M-N>N, B(M-N)-B(N)=p^N*A(M-2*N), and A(M-2*N) is a mulitple of d with 0<M-2*N<M.

If N>M: A(M)+B(N)=p^M+p^N=p^M*(p^(N-M)+1)=p^M*B(N-M) is a multiple of d and therfore so is B(N-M).  Next find the sum of A(M) and B(N-M) which is a multiple of d.  M cannot equal N-M because M is odd and N-M is even.  If M>N-M, A(M)+B(N-M)=p^(N-M)*B(2*M-N), and B(2*M-N) is a multiple of d with 0<2*M-N<N.  If M<N-M, A(M)+B(N-M)=p^M*B(N-2*M), and B(N-2*M) is a mulitple of d with 0<N-2*M<N.
IP Logged
NickH
Senior Riddler

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24th, 2003, 1:58pm »

I realised that this result applies to any odd number, p > 1, not just to odd primes.  A similar result applies to all positive even numbers -- there the gcd is 1.  Quite a surprising result, I think.
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2003, 1:59pm by NickH » IP Logged

Nick's Mathematical Puzzles
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »