wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Exam Questions »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 12th, 2024, 11:47am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: towr, Grimbal, SMQ, Eigenray, william wu, Icarus, ThudnBlunder)
   Exam Questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Exam Questions  (Read 667 times)
ThudnBlunder
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

Exam Questions  
« on: Apr 13th, 2003, 7:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In an exam three questions (A, B, and C) were set.  

1) Among the entrants there were 25 who correctly answered at least one question each.

2) Of all the entrants who did not correctly answer Question A, the number who correctly answered Question B was twice the number who correctly answered Question C.

3) The number of entrants who correctly answered only Question A was one more than the number who correctly answered Question A and at least one other question.

4) Of all students who correctly answered just one question, half did not correctly answer Question A.

How many students correctly answered only Question B?

IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

Re: Exam Questions  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13th, 2003, 11:36pm »

Nifty, here is my method:

1)Draw out those overlapping logic circles, I don't remember what they are called.  There is one circel for A, one for B, and one for C.  They overlap in such a way as you have every possible combination represented (being on the interior of a circle means you got that question right.

2)Label each of the seven sectiond of the circles and translate the four clues into equations with these labels.

3)Reduce them until you get an equation with just "only A right" and "only B right" left.  (Cannot be solved explicitly as there are too many variables.)
4)Note that they must be positive whole numbers less than 26, so there are only 6 possible solutions.

5)Use the equation taken from the part 2 clue to identify the only solution that will give a positive number of students for "B and C"

6)The answer is 6.  "A only"-8, "C only"-2, "B and C"-2, "All others (undiferentiable)"-7
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14th, 2003, 3:05am »

Nifty?? Are you referring to me, my puzzle, your method, or your search engine?  Wink
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14th, 2003, 5:39am »

Surely the puzzle... and don't call me Shirley.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »