wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Feynman was stumped »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 14th, 2024, 7:24am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: SMQ, william wu, Grimbal, Eigenray, towr, Icarus, ThudnBlunder)
   Feynman was stumped
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Feynman was stumped  (Read 980 times)
Chronos

WWW Email

Feynman was stumped  
« on: May 20th, 2003, 10:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

(scenario from Surely you're Joking, Mr. Feynman; puzzle by me)

While at Los Alamos, Richard Feynman bragged to his colleagues, "I can work out in sixty seconds the answer to any problem that anybody can state in ten seconds, to 10 percent.".  Much to the impressment of all, he  delivered on this boast...  Until Paul Olum showed up, and asked for the tangent of ten to the hundredth (that's tan(10100)).  Feynman, of course, was stumped, since that would require knowing pi to one hundred decimal places, and he admitted defeat.

However, he could have guessed, and thus have had at least a chance, however miniscule, of upholding his reputation.  What would his best possible guess have been?

Hint number 1:  There are two equally good answers for this one.
Hint number 2:  This can be done either approximately or exactly.
IP Logged
Leo Broukhis
Senior Riddler

Re: Feynman was stumped  
« Reply #1 on: May 22nd, 2003, 11:33am »

The best possible answer would have been 1 or -1, because they are
maxes of abs(atan(0.9*x)-atan(1.1*x)), that's what I can gather by looking at what gnuplot shows me.
IP Logged
Chronos

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: May 25th, 2003, 11:26am »

That's almost right, given that 10% is small.  But not quite.

Given that the answer is (almost) equal to 1, I suspect that there's a cleverer way to do this than the way I did.
IP Logged
Leo Broukhis
Senior Riddler

« Reply #3 on: May 26th, 2003, 7:42pm »

Actually, the function could be  

abs(atan(x/0.9)-atan(x/1.1)), or

abs(atan(x/0.9)-atan(x*0.9)), or

abs(atan(x*1.1)-atan(x/1.1)),

depending on what he really meant by "to 10%"

By "a cleverer way" do you mean a quicker way to arrive at the answer "1 or -1", or something else?

IP Logged
Chronos

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: May 29th, 2003, 4:00pm »

Hmm...  I suppose that one should assume that "within 10%" means that Feynman's answer is between .9x and 1.1x, where x is the correct answer.  In retrospect, though, I don't think that's what I assumed.  I think that what I actually assumed is that the correct answer is between .9y and 1.1y, where y is Feynman's guess.  This doesn't change the approximate answer (-+ 1), but it does change the exact answer, in a manner which I'll have to calculate further to determine.

And whenever the (approximate) answer is something as simple as 1, it seems like there should be a simple way to arrive at that (approximate) answer.  But maybe not.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »