wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Reconstruct Chess Game (I) »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 6:12am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: william wu, Eigenray, towr, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, SMQ)
   Reconstruct Chess Game (I)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Reconstruct Chess Game (I)  (Read 864 times)
ThudnBlunder
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

Reconstruct Chess Game (I)   Proof_Game_in_7.0.jpg
« on: Oct 9th, 2003, 9:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

White and Black each played 7 moves and arrived at the position below. What were the moves?  
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2003, 6:35am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

Re: Reconstruct Chess Game (I)  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12th, 2003, 11:19am »

[smiley=blacksquare.gif]
1.  b4 h5
2.  b5 h4
3.  b6 h3
4.  bc hg
5.  cbQ! R:h2!
6.  Qb8:h2 ghR
7.  Qh2-h8 R:h8
[smiley=blacksquare.gif]

Awesome problem! I wonder where do you get them from, THUDandBLUNDER?

And yes, thank you and Lightboxes for the appreciation in Reconstruct Chess Game (II).

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2003, 11:19am by Barukh » IP Logged
Lightboxes

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12th, 2003, 11:08pm »

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unbelievable!!!
I thought of those two promotions BUT in seperate cases and didn't put them together!  WHAAAAA...I want my bottle  Cry

You make it sound so easy Barukh
Please post at least two sentences of how you analyzed the situation so the members of this forum can learn versus um...not learn.

I'll do the same because I know I posted a few answers without an explanation to how I got there.
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2003, 11:08pm by Lightboxes » IP Logged

A job is not worth doing unless it's worth doing well.
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13th, 2003, 7:41am »

on Oct 12th, 2003, 11:08pm, Lightboxes wrote:
You make it sound so easy Barukh
Please post at least two sentences of how you analyzed the situation so the members of this forum can learn versus um...not learn.

By no means it was easy! If you knew how many times I was on the edge to give up...

Regarding my analysis - it's not easy to systematically describe the thinking process, but I'll try. Since other members may still want to think about the solution, I'll make it invisible.

I started by analysing what pieces may capture the missing pieces. It was obvious that 2 pawns may capture 2 pawns, and then I concentrated on white Bishop b1, and black Rook h8. However, there were too many moves, to get to the position. Then I realized that the black Knight b8 may be of some help by capturing the white pawn at b4. Quite quickly, I arrived at the following 8-move "solution":

1. b4 c5 2. g4 h5 3. Ca3 Nc6 4. gh N:b4 5. C:b4 R:h5 6. C:c5 R:h2 7. Ca3 R:h1 8. Ca1 Rh8.

Here, I got stuck. Besides, I had a feeling that this line cannot lead to a solution, because I felt that the solution must be unique even in the order of the moves, and that was not the case with the aforementioned solution.

Then, it came the moment when I recalled seeing chess reconstruction problems where missing pieces were (unexpectedly) captured at their initial positions - and here arose the idea of pawn promotion. I saw that the white pawn may eat two pieces in just 5 moves! The promotion of the black pawn came instantly.  

Then, I ran into another problem: I thought that the promoted white pawn must die at h2. It seemed then there are too few moves for white ( 6 ), and too many for black ( 8 )... It took me another minute or two to realize that the Rook h8 may be the promoted rook! And then all the pieces fit together.

It turned out that I was right about the uniqueness of the solution...  

IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13th, 2003, 9:01am »

Excellent analysis, Barukh. If you and Lightboxes like these sorts of puzzles I will post some more (although the general level of interest seems to be low).  

Quote:
Awesome problem! I wonder where do you get them from, THUDandBLUNDER?

If I told you, I would have to kill you!  Grin

« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2003, 10:12am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »