wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Air in Hole Through Earth »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 1:20pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: towr, william wu, Eigenray, Grimbal, SMQ, Icarus, ThudnBlunder)
   Air in Hole Through Earth
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Air in Hole Through Earth  (Read 8041 times)
SWF
Uberpuzzler

Air in Hole Through Earth  
« on: Dec 17th, 2003, 7:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A hole is drilled through the center of earth such that the atmosphere flows to the earth's center. What must the diameter of the hole be in order for essentially all of the earth's atmosphere to be in the hole?

I know this involves some dull calculation, but the answer should be surprising. The main thing to take into account is (hint): pressure varies with distance from center of earth.

Obviously, many unrealistic assumptions can be involved in this one. To simplify the problem and give a common ground for everyone, use standard physics problem assumptions and the following: Through the use of an elaborate climate control system, the inside of the hole is held at a habitable temperature of 300K. The ideal gas law applies with gas constant such that:  Pressure= Density * 86100 N-m/kg (about right for air at 300K).  "Essentially" all of the atmosphere in the hole means the pressure at sea level is one-millionth of normal atmospheric pressure of 1e5 N/m2 (it can't really reach zero).  

Earth has uniform density = 5517 kg/m3;  
Universal gravitation constant G=6.673e-11 N-m2/kg2;  
Radius of earth = 6.37e6 m;  
Mass of earth's atmosphere = 5.1e18 kg.
IP Logged
Eigenray
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: Air in Hole Through Earth  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2003, 8:42pm »

Sweet merciful crap! 3.8e-70m!
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2003, 10:37pm by Eigenray » IP Logged
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2003, 11:30pm »

Assuming a linear temperature change from T=6000K at the center to T=300K at the surface, I get an answer of about 83 Angstrom, which is much more reasonable.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2003, 11:39pm by Eigenray » IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 8:19pm »

Excellent, Eigenray.  Your first answer is the same thing I get for the diameter of the hole, although I haven't tried the linear temperature variation, since I want the hole to be habitable. However, being less than 1e-50 times the diameter of an electron means this hole would be difficult to climb into.

The important point to remember is: be careful when making deep holes in the earth or the surface will run out air.
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 8:30pm »

That is an incredible fun fact. I just have to find some way to work it into polite conversation.  
 Grin
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 11:14pm »

on Jan 12th, 2004, 8:19pm, SWF wrote:
Excellent, Eigenray.  Your first answer is the same thing I get for the diameter of the hole

Oh good.  I had to correct it twice cause I kept losing constants.

Quote:
The important point to remember is: be careful when making deep holes in the earth or the surface will run out air.

Words to live by.
IP Logged
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14th, 2004, 8:06am »

on Jan 12th, 2004, 8:19pm, SWF wrote:

Given the thickness of the Earth's crust and the feasibility of drilling into the mantle, I am more concerned about magma pouring out of the mantle than air pouring in.
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #7 on: Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:41pm »

Assuming there was no earthly distortion until man arrived and a footstep by a very heavy person caused total annihilation!!! I wonder if this made dinosaurs extint!!  Grin
IP Logged

"Obvious" is the most dangerous word in mathematics.
--Bell, Eric Temple

Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
Sir Arthur Eddington, quoted in Bridges to Infinity
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 2nd, 2004, 9:57pm »

on Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:41pm, Sameer wrote:
Assuming there was no earthly distortion until man arrived and a footstep by a very heavy person caused total annihilation!!! I wonder if this made dinosaurs extint!!  Grin

Smoking caused the dinosaur extinction. Everyone knows that!
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
fil

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 24th, 2004, 8:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Just stumbled across this discussion, and I'm deffinately lost with yaalls equations.    

Are you saying that a small hole drilled through the earth would require more air to fill it than the atmosphere has to provide?  

Kindly,
Fil
IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 7:31pm »

on Apr 24th, 2004, 8:13pm, fil wrote:
Are you saying that a small hole drilled through the earth would require more air to fill it than the atmosphere has to provide?
Yes, but only under the unrealistic assumptions stipulated by the problem. Using the Ideal Gas Law, means doubling the pressure of the gas doubles the density. The increase in density allows more gas fit in the hole, which further raises the pressure and density.

It turns out pressure as a functions of distance from center of earth, r, is something like  

P0*exp(C*(R*R-r*r))

where R is radius of earth and P0 the pressure at earth's surface. C is a constant involving G, density of earth, T, [pi], R, and temperature.

Eventually pressure computed from Ideal Gas Law reaches a level where the substance assumed to be a gas, has a higher density than any normal solid. Well before that point, the approximation of density doubling with a doubling in pressure is incorrect.

I haven't tried to figure out how big the hole would need to be to consume the atmosphere assuming some maximum permissible density.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2004, 7:32pm by SWF » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »