wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Counting Graphs »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 30th, 2024, 1:49pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: towr, SMQ, Icarus, william wu, Grimbal, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder)
   Counting Graphs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Counting Graphs  (Read 533 times)
vphan

Email

Counting Graphs  
« on: Jul 6th, 2004, 12:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hello all,  

Any ideas to the following problem?

how many acyclic directed graphs with n vertices are there?

how many of them are also transitive closures?

Any ideas?
IP Logged
Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

Re: Counting Graphs  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 6th, 2004, 7:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

How's the course going?  
There was just something about the way you asked that this seems like homework.

Sadly, I am of no help here whatsoever. I'd trawl through mathworld until I felt I understood what the question was asking, and by then one of the seriously clever inhabitants here would come and do a far better job than I ever could.  

Hold tight, the answer will come. But probably in a while to help miss your deadline.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2004, 7:23pm by Noke Lieu » IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

Re: Counting Graphs  
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 5:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have to return to my homework soon, but for the first question, here's a possible approach ...

Note that we can represent any graph as a 0-1 adjacency matrix A, where entry (i,j) is 1 if there is a directed edge from i to j, and 0 otherwise. (For undirected graphs, the adjacency matrix is symmetric.) Then here are some facts:

1) Entry (i,j) in Ak corresponds to the number of paths of length k from node i to node j.  

2) (I - A)-1 = I + A + A2 + ...  

Combining 1) and 2), we see that (I-A) is invertible iff there are no cycles in the graph. (Recognize that if there is a cycle containing nodes i and j, then there are paths of every possible length from i to j.)  

Then, to find the number of acyclic directed graphs with n vertices, one could count the number of distinct 0-1 matrices "A" such that (I - A) is invertible. Not sure if this is feasible, but seems easier to think about for me than the original problem. Also, this assumes you are counting labeled graphs; otherwise you will have to count classes of similar matrices (isomorphic graphs).
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2004, 5:51am by william wu » IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »