wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Finding the Top 3 in a Horse Race »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 2:23am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: william wu, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, towr, Eigenray, Grimbal, Icarus)
   Finding the Top 3 in a Horse Race
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Finding the Top 3 in a Horse Race  (Read 1560 times)
goozer

Finding the Top 3 in a Horse Race  
« on: Feb 7th, 2005, 1:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Had an interview question like this, but couldn't get it in the time limit, but still interested in teh answer (i dunno it maybe pretty easy, but just can't get a elegant way of doing it with a few number of races), please help.

You have 25 horses and want to know which are the 3 fastest. Whenever you race horses, the order of finish accurately reflects the relative speeds of the horses but you can only race 5 at a time. What's the minimum number of races required to determine the 3 fastest, and how do
you do it?
IP Logged
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

Re: Finding the Top 3 in a Horse Race  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 7th, 2005, 1:56pm »

The easy way is to race five races, writing down the times, and sorting the list. I suppose we can only measure their relative speed, making it a few more iterations. I get 12 races, but I do believe there is a more optimal solution...
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: Finding the Top 3 in a Horse Race  
« Reply #2 on: Feb 7th, 2005, 2:13pm »

I am sure I have seen this here before.

Anyway, here is the solution: (ctrl-A to view)
::
Race all the horses in 5 races.  Then, race the five winners.
Call A1 the winner of the winner's race, B1 the second and C1 the third.  Call A2 and A3 the followers of A1 in his first race and B2 the second in B1's first race.
You have (X<Y means "X is faster than Y"):
A1<A2<A3, B1<B2 and A1<B1<C1

All other horses are slower than one of A3, B2 or C1, and these 3 have each at least 2 horses in front.  Therefore, the top 3 are among the six horses A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, C1.

You already know who is the fastest.  It is A1.  To find number 2 and 3, you just need to race the remaining five.
::
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »