wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Mastermind I/II Solutions? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 5:14am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: Grimbal, william wu, towr, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Eigenray)
   Mastermind I/II Solutions?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mastermind I/II Solutions?  (Read 4970 times)
dbaker84

Mastermind I/II Solutions?  
« on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can someone post the solutions to these so I can verify if I did them correctly?
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

Re: Mastermind I/II Solutions?  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 1:45am »

Maybe, you can post your solutions so we can verify if you did them correctly?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 2:28am »

I: Green, Red, Light Blue, Brown
II: Yellow, Yellow, Yellow, Light Blue
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
dbaker84

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 2:29am »

thanks.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2006, 2:30am by dbaker84 » IP Logged
japnik

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24th, 2011, 4:47am »

first lets see which colors are there in answer

from guess2 :- lightblue and green must be there
from guess1 :-one of light-blue and dark blue, but we already got light blue from guess2
from guess3:-one from dark blue and brown, it must be brown as its not dark blue ( by guess1)
from guess 4 :- one from dark-blue and red, which is red by same reasoning

so colors are green red brown light blue

for ordering
see guess 1 , it gives correct place of three of them, automatically giving correct place for fourth one also

so ans is Green red light blue brown
IP Logged
japnik

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24th, 2011, 12:35pm »

i assumed all colors shud be diff
IP Logged
c

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24th, 2012, 1:48pm »

Yes, japnik, i also am much more familiar with the simplified version of only different colour pegs.

However, my reasoning uses another direction, based on comparing guesses instead of left-out colours. For example, considering Mastermind I:
* the effect of changing from guess 1 to guess 2 is the loss of one information result-peg, which is triggerred by changing from green to dark blue. Therefore, green generates a peg and is in the "target" combo, while dark blue doesn't and isn't.
* similarly, for guess 1 to guess 2, a black result-peg changed into a white one, triggerred by changing from brown to light-blue. In such cases though, the other guess-pegs usually change position, so the conclusion would've been that brown is "similar" to light-blue (either both are in the target, or both aren't), but in this case the conclusion is that both are "in".
* guess 4 establishes which of the red and yellow is to be replaced by the light-blue. So the solution is indeed:
green, red, light blue, brown.

As for the Repeating Colours case (Mastermind II), i always found it tricky to nail the specific rules used, especially when they're not stated before-hand. Do the black answer-pegs get decided first, or do guess-pegs get considered left-to-right instead? Does guessing one green peg while the target has three generate one or three answer-pegs? Does guessing three yellows while the target has only one generate one or three?
* So could the fact that one red being replaced by a yellow generated an increase in the answer-pegs conceivably mean that there might be one red and two yellow in the target combo? Granted, this turns out not to be the case here, but still... I maintain it's a (much) harder type of "riddle" than the other one.
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26th, 2012, 6:02am »

on Mar 24th, 2012, 1:48pm, c wrote:
As for the Repeating Colours case (Mastermind II), i always found it tricky to nail the specific rules used, especially when they're not stated before-hand. Do the black answer-pegs get decided first, or do guess-pegs get considered left-to-right instead? Does guessing one green peg while the target has three generate one or three answer-pegs? Does guessing three yellows while the target has only one generate one or three?
* So could the fact that one red being replaced by a yellow generated an increase in the answer-pegs conceivably mean that there might be one red and two yellow in the target combo? Granted, this turns out not to be the case here, but still... I maintain it's a (much) harder type of "riddle" than the other one.

I've only ever seen it done by establishing the bijection between guess and answer rows that maximises the number of black pegs, and the total number of pegs, in the response.

One way of looking at it is that the black pegs are the number of exact matches between the target and query strings, while the white pegs are the maximum number of additional matches that could be generated by any single permutation of the query string.
IP Logged
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26th, 2012, 10:03am »

I agree with rmsgrey.

I prefer to consider the total number of answer-pegs.  The total of blak and white is the number of pegs that are correct regardless of order.  If  you swap one red for one yellow and the total number of answer-pegs increases, then you know the red is wrong and the yellow is correct.  I.e. there were too many reds and too few yellows in the first try.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2012, 10:03am by Grimbal » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »