wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Irrational Colouring »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 12:20am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: Icarus, SMQ, Eigenray, william wu, Grimbal, towr, ThudnBlunder)
   Irrational Colouring
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Irrational Colouring  (Read 1265 times)
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

Irrational Colouring  
« on: May 21st, 2006, 11:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

An irrational marker put at point P in the plane colours all points in the plane that are at irrational distance from P.

How many irrational markers are needed to colour the entire plane?
IP Logged
JocK
Uberpuzzler

Re: Irrational Colouring  
« Reply #1 on: May 22nd, 2006, 11:05am »

I'd say: in N dimensions you need N+1 irrational markers.

IP Logged

solving abstract problems is like sex: it may occasionally have some practical use, but that is not why we do it.

xy - y = x5 - y4 - y3 = 20; x>0, y>0.
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: May 22nd, 2006, 10:18pm »

on May 22nd, 2006, 11:05am, JocK wrote:
I'd say: in N dimensions you need N+1 irrational markers.

Are you sure?  Wink
IP Logged
Sjoerd Job Postmus

« Reply #3 on: May 23rd, 2006, 10:20am »

Let us consider the plane we have, and place a marker on it.

We find a lot of circles, all with a rational radius.

Now, think of any irrational distance, and put another marker there!

All points on the line through your two markers are covered, and probably a lot more points. But, we're not there yet. We still have a lot of points that are on a rational distance from both.

Now, my idea is, to make a triangle of the three points, with all sides being irrational in length. I suppose, but can't know for sure, that all points are covered. Can't prove it.
IP Logged
JocK
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: May 23rd, 2006, 10:47am »

on May 22nd, 2006, 10:18pm, Barukh wrote:

Are you sure?  Wink

Only if you agree that in N dimensions one can arrange N markers such that only a denumerable number of points are left uncloured...  Cool

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2006, 10:51am by JocK » IP Logged

solving abstract problems is like sex: it may occasionally have some practical use, but that is not why we do it.

SMQ
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: May 23rd, 2006, 7:27pm »

I definitely agree with JocK's last statement, but I'm not sure that's a sufficient condition for N+1 markers to color the N-space.  Just because N markers leave a countable infinity of points uncovered, it doesn't seem to me to follow that there necessarily exists a marker which covers all of them, or even that the first N markers can necessarily be chosen such that the N+1st marker covers all the uncovered points.

In fact, after fiddling around with some messy algebra (by hand--can't justify the cost of Mathematica or Maple just for puzzle solving), I'm leaning slightly toward the other extreme--needing aleph-null markers to color any space of dimension >1.

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: May 24th, 2006, 12:13am »

The current consensus seems to be that N+1 markers are necessary for N dimensions.  Wink

Let's go back to original question: as Sjoerd notices, 2 markers are not enough in the plane. Will 3 markers suffice? If yes, how?
IP Logged
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: May 24th, 2006, 8:26am »

on May 23rd, 2006, 7:27pm, SMQ wrote:
Just because N markers leave a countable infinity of points uncovered, it doesn't seem to me to follow that there necessarily exists a marker which covers all of them

For any given point, the set of markers which will not color it is a countable union of spheres SN-1 [subset] RN, which each have Lebesgue measure 0.  Hence for any countable collection of points, the set of markers coloring all of them has full measure, so almost any position will work.

For concreteness, one may imagine a spherical shell of measure 2-i-j enclosing the set of all points a distance rj from Pi, where {rj} is an enumeration of the rationals, and {Pi} is the set of uncolored points.  The union of all these shells has measure < 1, and any marker outside all of them will color every Pi.
IP Logged
JocK
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: May 24th, 2006, 10:51am »

on May 23rd, 2006, 7:27pm, SMQ wrote:
Just because N markers leave a countable infinity of points uncovered, it doesn't seem to me to follow that there necessarily exists a marker which covers all of them
The union of denumerable many sets each containing a denumerable number of elements, constitutes a denumerable set.  

Now, assuming that N markers leave denumerable many uncoloured points, it follows that the set of points on an arbitrary line in N-dimensional space that are unsuitable for placing the N+1th marker is denumerable... I.e. out of the innumerable many points on the line, you can choose virtually any point as last marker.

(Basically just echoing here what Eigenray already mentioned.  Cool )

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2006, 11:04am by JocK » IP Logged

SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: May 24th, 2006, 11:36am »

OK, I concede already. Grin

From the set theory side, my problem was that I was looking for a constructive solution.  The set of points at a given radius from a fixed point is uncountable, and so I could imagine that the union of countably many uncountable sets could cover the plane--especially since the rationals provide a "good approximation" to the reals; but between Eigenray's Lebesgue measure method and JocK's line intersection method I can see the error of my ways.

That still leaves the question of whether or not there exists a constructive method for picking N+1 such points.

Clearly it is necessary that every point have at least one other point an irrational distance away, but is it necessary that the distance between any pair of points be irrational?  Is either condition sufficient?

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

Sjoerd Job Postmus

« Reply #10 on: May 24th, 2006, 1:35pm »

I'm pondering a bit...

Could I do this:

Let's take an irrational distance, sqrt{3}, just for kicks...

Now, I'm going to take N=0.

I have only one point, which I'll put a marker at. Because the marker is 0 away from the point, it's unsolvable with any number of markers...

Anyhow, Ignore that... take our current N=0 solution, and suddenly, look at the bigger picture, the line we put our marker on! N=1.

Ok, so we have 1 marker on a line, which is not enough, because there are a lot of points still uncovered...

Now, let's add a marker at our chosen distance: sqrt{3}... I say that all points are now covered.

Why?

Say: Marker Original is on position x=0... just for kicks...
Marker 2 would be on x=sqrt{3}

Let us take a point on rational distance from x, which would have d1=p/q
But the distance from the second marker would be:
d2 = sqrt{3} - p/q
Which is clearly irrational (no proof, but it's provable, you go ahead). So, it is covered.

So we can cover N=1 with 2 markers... proven

Now, N=2... let's take our original solution, and extend it.

I myself would try and make an isoles(sp?) triangle... with sides sqrt(3)... but would it work? I'd guess so...

Can someone prove this works?
IP Logged
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #11 on: May 24th, 2006, 1:50pm »

on May 24th, 2006, 12:13am, Barukh wrote:
The current consensus seems to be that N+1 markers are necessary for N dimensions.  Wink

Wait, I never consented to that!  If you can find 3 markers on a line that color the plane, they'll also color any other plane through that line.  So for RN you need just min(N+1,3) markers.
IP Logged
JocK
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #12 on: May 24th, 2006, 2:28pm »

Ha, yes... it was there all the time.. staring us right in the face..  Grin

Well done Eigenray!

IP Logged

Sjoerd Job Postmus

« Reply #13 on: May 25th, 2006, 3:54am »

on May 24th, 2006, 1:50pm, Eigenray wrote:

Wait, I never consented to that!  If you can find 3 markers on a line that color the plane, they'll also color any other plane through that line.  So for RN you need just min(N+1,3) markers.

Which raises one question: Can we do it with 3 markers on a line, at all? Would that work?

Intuition says "no", but who knows.

Anyhow, let's place a marker at -infinity, and define a point (p,q) (from real)

Since the distance between (-infinity,0) and (p,q) is infinity (which is clearly not a rational number anyhow ), (p,q) is coloured.

But anyhow, this idea is flawed Wink we shouldn't apply normal rules to infinity... Wink
IP Logged
JocK
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #14 on: May 25th, 2006, 11:16am »

on May 25th, 2006, 3:54am, Sjoerd Job Postmus wrote:

Which raises one question: Can we do it with 3 markers on a line, at all? Would that work?

If you read the thread carefully, you'll see that the answer to this question has been given... In fact, you are very, very unlucky in case - after randomly placing three markers on a line - you are left with uncoloured points.

IP Logged

JocK
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #15 on: May 25th, 2006, 11:49am »

on May 24th, 2006, 11:36am, SMQ wrote:
[..] is it necessary that the distance between any pair of points be irrational?  Is either condition sufficient?

The right question to ask - I think - is:

How many markers do you need in RN to colour all points that are not covered by a marker, in case you are not allowed to place a marker at a point that is an irrational distance from another marker.

(For a related problem, see: http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=riddles_har d;action=display;num=1148507742)

IP Logged

Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: May 25th, 2006, 12:06pm »

Suppose (x,y) is a rational distance from all three points (0,0), (1,0), and (z,0).  Then
(1)  x2 + y2 = r2
(2)  (x-1)2 + y2 = s2
(3)  (x-z)2 + y2 = t2
with r,s,t rational.  Subtracting (2)-(1) shows x is rational, and (3)-(1) gives
z2 - 2xz + r2-t2 = 0,
which means z is algebraic over Q (and of degree <2).  So there are only countably many choices for z which won't give a contradiction here (at most 2 for each of the countably many possibilities for x,r,t).

For specific examples, the points (0,0), (1,0), (z,0) will work for z=21/3, e, pi, etc.
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: May 26th, 2006, 11:17pm »

Nicely done!  Cheesy

I personally prefer a configuration where three points on a line are equally spaced.

IP Logged
JocK
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #18 on: May 26th, 2006, 11:55pm »

on May 26th, 2006, 11:17pm, Barukh wrote:
I personally prefer a configuration where three points on a line are equally spaced.

I think Eigenray wanted to demonstrate that you can allow one of the distances between three markers on a line to be rational, and stil colour whole RN.

The question how many markers you need when all are to be placed at mutually rational distances, is still open...

IP Logged

Sjoerd Job Postmus

« Reply #19 on: May 27th, 2006, 2:19am »

on May 26th, 2006, 11:55pm, JocK wrote:

I think Eigenray wanted to demonstrate that you can allow one of the distances between three markers on a line to be rational, and stil colour whole RN.

The question how many markers you need when all are to be placed at mutually rational distances, is still open...

If you really want a mutual rational distance, you can't solve this problem on a line...

Let's think of three markers...
(0,0), (p/q, 0), (r/s,0)
Let's define another point: (t/u,0)

distance to point one: t/u
distance to point two: t/u - p/q = (tq - up)/uq
distance to point three: t/u - r/s = (ts - ur)/ur
Which is another way of saying: The distances are all rational.

So, you can't solve it using only a line, if you are limited to rational distances.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »