wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Oh No! Not Another Fork in the Road »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 7:14pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: Icarus, Grimbal, william wu, towr, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, SMQ)
   Oh No! Not Another Fork in the Road
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oh No! Not Another Fork in the Road  (Read 5427 times)
Deedlit
Senior Riddler

Re: Oh No! Not Another Fork in the Road  
« Reply #25 on: Sep 1st, 2006, 7:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, we already have the N-2 upper bound, and if N is even we can just ignore somebody at random, reducing the bound to N-3.

This seems to be the right answer for n = 3 to 6.

Edit:  So, it's probably more natural to give the answer in terms of L = the number of liars.  We've shown that it can be solved with 2L - 1 questions.  Obviously at least L questions are necessary, since with L - 1 questions everyone we ask could be a liar, along with anyone else.

If we find at least two people who are identified as truth-tellers, than we can't solve it in L questions either.  Of course all the people we ask could be lying.  If A identifies B as a truth-teller, and C identifies D as a truth-teller, with B != D, then all the people we ask besides A could be a liar, plus anyone besides B.  Similarly, anyone besides C or D could be a liar.  So anyone can be a liar.

So, if the answer to the first question is "no", then we can't point to anyone else besides who we pointed to the first time, or we might wind up with the above situation.  But if the guy we're pointing to is a liar, we obviously can't find a truth-teller this way.

Well, that bumps it up to L+1, but we'll never get to 2L-1 this way... I need a new approach.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2006, 8:20am by Deedlit » IP Logged
Joe Fendel

« Reply #26 on: Sep 1st, 2006, 8:35am »

on Sep 1st, 2006, 7:27am, Deedlit wrote:
Well, we already have the N-2 upper bound, and if N is even we can just ignore somebody at random, reducing the bound to N-3.

This seems to be the right answer for n = 3 to 6.

I don't understand.
hidden:
With 3 villagers, only 1 question is necessary.
With 4 villagers, only 1 question is necessary.

With 5 villagers, I'm pretty sure 3 questions are necessary.  Certainly with the pair-and-chair algorithm, 2 "no" answers require a 2nd round (and third question).  Can anyone prove that there is no way to guarantee finding a truth-teller with two questions?

The pair-and-chair algorithm is pretty good, though not always optimal:
  • With 2 villagers (and nobody in the chair), no questions are necessary, though p&c would have you ask a question.
  • With 4 villagers (and nobody in the chair), only 1 question is necessary - if A says that B is a Liar, then C is a truth-teller.  If A says that B is not a Liar, then he isn't.  In this case, full p&c might have you ask 3 questions!

I'm not sure if there are other cases where the pair-and-chair algorithm is non-optimal.  Pair-and-chair also never modifies itself based on answers.  One might suspect that an optimal algorithm would change later questioning depending on earlier answers.

IP Logged
Deedlit
Senior Riddler

« Reply #27 on: Sep 1st, 2006, 8:52am »

on Sep 1st, 2006, 8:35am, joefendel wrote:

I don't understand.
hidden:
With 5 villagers, I'm pretty sure 3 questions are necessary.  Certainly with the pair-and-chair algorithm, 2 "no" answers require a 2nd round (and third question).  Can anyone prove that there is no way to guarantee finding a truth-teller with two questions?

Yes, it's just brute force search.

The answers you give match up with the above bound.  Can you be more specific about what you don't understand?
IP Logged
Joe Fendel

« Reply #28 on: Sep 1st, 2006, 10:54am »

on Sep 1st, 2006, 8:52am, Deedlit wrote:

Yes, it's just brute force search.

The answers you give match up with the above bound.  Can you be more specific about what you don't understand?

Oh, I missed the "If N is even" bit!  I understand now.

In fact, this seems to "optimize" the p&c algorithm:

hidden:
If there are an even number of villagers, begin the process by sending one away so that you have an odd number.

This takes care of my "non-optimal" cases above, in any case.

So is this modified p&c actually optimal?  If so, I get an interesting formula for the minimum number of questions required to identify a truth-teller from among N villagers!
hidden:

It looks like I was on the right track before.  Write N-1 out in binary.  Let F be the number of 1-digits in this representation.  Then you need N - F - 1 questions to identify a truth-teller using this modified p&c.

For example, with 80 villagers, write 79 as 1001111, which has 5 1-digits, so 80 villagers require 80-5-1 = 74 questions using modified p&c.  This bears out: 39 in round 1, 19 in round 2, 9 in round 3, 4 in round 4, 2 in round 5, 1 in round 6.

I've double-checked, and this can be easily proven by induction.

But I still don't have a proof that modified p&c is optimal.
IP Logged
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #29 on: Sep 1st, 2006, 10:37pm »

There is a "trivial" solution (slightly different than the p&c, although I haven;t checked in depth (may be identical in essence)). This solution yields N-1.

Improvments to N-2 are straightforward.

For N=>4 and even, remove one to get N-3.

IIRC there is a proof that this is optimal.
IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
Deedlit
Senior Riddler

« Reply #30 on: Sep 2nd, 2006, 12:57am »

Actually, Joe and Eigenray's solution already does better in general; the worst case is n = 2m + 1, which yields a maximum of n-2 questions, but the best case is n = 2m, which yields a maximum of n - m - 1 questions.  On average, the bound is around n - 1 - [log2 (n-1)]/2 questions.

Since we need at least L + 1 questions for L >= 2, the bound is exact for n = 1 to 8.  So n = 9 is a good test case for the optimality of the algorithm - it gives a maximum of 7 questions, while the lower bound is 5 questions.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »