wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Question of Denominations »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 7:34pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: towr, Eigenray, william wu, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, Icarus)
   Question of Denominations
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Question of Denominations  (Read 872 times)
irrational

Question of Denominations  
« on: Sep 25th, 2006, 10:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here is a problem, perhaps familiar to many of you, but nevertheless ...

Suppose that you have to give change for x US dollars and you want to minimize the number of bills (notes) you need to give. You follow the common strategy: you keep giving bills of highest denomination that does not make the total amount exceed x. For example, suppose that you need to give out change for $17 and the denominations available are $1, $5, $10, $20 and $50. Thus first you give $10, then $5 and then two $1 bills.

The question: Is this strategy always optimal? If yes, please prove it so.

A secondary question is: What is the most general condition the set of denominations should satisfy so that greedy always gives the optimal? (With proof, of course)

I culled this from another forum, since I felt that this needs interesting brains to think on it.

Again if this has already been asked my apologies, I tried to search and couldn't find anything like it.

Moderators, please feel free to move this to any forum you choose fit. Smiley

IP Logged
Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

Re: Question of Denominations  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 10:38am »

I think I have seen this problem posted ont his forum before.. maybe mods can find it and post link to the discussion thread!!!
IP Logged

"Obvious" is the most dangerous word in mathematics.
--Bell, Eric Temple

Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
Sir Arthur Eddington, quoted in Bridges to Infinity
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 11:04am »

Note that in the given sequence of denominations every value is at least twice as big as the previous.
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 3:31pm »

on Sep 25th, 2006, 10:38am, Sameer wrote:
I think I have seen this problem posted ont his forum before.. maybe mods can find it and post link to the discussion thread!!!

I vaguely remember something similar, though it may not be the same puzzle. But either way, I'd just as soon have a new discussion, instead of linking back to an old unremembered one.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 8:39pm »

The Treasurer's New Bills is related to this, but is brief.
IP Logged
irrational

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 8:18am »

After messing with this for a while and 2 advil's later....

I came to the conclusion that google.com and ask.com are my friends. So after innumerable scannings later:

for 4 bills in the currency or 4 coins in the coinage:
The optimum denomination is given by:
http://www.splkpark.k12.mn.us/mainsite/schools/SR/math/coinage.pdf

After that, I just gave up and went to bed!!  Grin

Barukh... If you are onto something can you please elaborate. Smiley

IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 10:03am »

on Sep 26th, 2006, 8:18am, irrational wrote:
Barukh... If you are onto something can you please elaborate. Smiley

After positing my remark, I realized it is of no use…  Sad My apologies.

on Sep 25th, 2006, 10:21am, irrational wrote:
Moderators, please feel free to move this to any forum you choose fit. Smiley

I think it should be moved to the Hard section.
IP Logged
Joe Fendel

« Reply #7 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 11:59am »

Are we only considering finite sets of denominations?

If so, it's good to note that in determining whether a set of denominations is greedy optimal (GO) for all values, it suffices to check a finite number of values.

Let L be the largest denomination.  Then as long as the denomination set is GO for all values between L and 2L, then it is GO for all other amounts.

Proof:  
hidden:
Let's suppose our set is GO for all values between L and 2L.  

Could there be a value, v<L which is non-GO?  No, because then v+L would also be non-GO, which is contradicted by the premise, since L < v+L < 2L.  

Could there be a value v>2L which is non-GO?  If so, choose the smallest such v.  Let m be the largest denomination possibly used in the optimal change-making for v.  Then v-m is GO, and also larger than L.  Thus the optimal change-making for v-m includes an L denomination, which means that m=L.  But then this means that change can be made for v optimally by being greedy for v-m, and then adding an L, which is precisely the greedy algorithm for v, hence v is GO after all.

So for example, it suffices using the 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 denominations to prove GO for 50 through 100.
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 5:04am »

on Sep 26th, 2006, 11:59am, joefendel wrote:
Proof:  

Nice! The upper  bound may be tightened  to L+M, where M is the second largest denomination.

Besides: There are reasons to loosen the lower bound to n+1, where n is the third smallest denomination.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2006, 5:04am by Barukh » IP Logged
Joe Fendel

« Reply #9 on: Sep 29th, 2006, 12:56pm »

A few other observations:

1. If it's the case that every denomination is divisible by all smaller denominations, then the set is clearly GO.  Thus {1, 5, 10, 20} is GO, eg.  This applies to infinite sets as well as finite ones.

2. Every set of 2 denominations is GO, because one of the denominations must be a 1, and thus we're in case 1.

3. A set of 3 denominations is not GO if and only if it consists of {1, a, b} where b = ka - n, and a > n >= k >= 2.  The "if" direction is easy to prove:
hidden:

First, notice that since k >= 2, we have b >= 2a - n > a, so b is indeed the largest denomination.

Let's make change for v=ka the greedy way.  Since ka = b + n, we can use a b bill.  Since n < a, the remaining bills must all be 1's.  Thus greedy uses n+1 bills.

We could also use k a-bills.  Since k <= n, this is better than n+1.

The "only if" direction is only a bit harder:
hidden:

Suppose we have a non-GO set {1, a, b}, where b > a.  From case 2 above, the smallest non-GO value must be greater than b.  We also know from our discussion earlier that the smallest non-GO value must be less than b+a.  Thus let's call this value v = b + n, which uses n+1 bills using the greedy algorithm.

The optimal change-making cannot use a b-bill, since then greedy would clearly be optimal.  Thus the optimal change-making uses k a-bills and j 1-bills.  But if j > 0, we would have v-1 also being non-GO, which contradicts v being smallest.  Thus j=0, so v = ka.

We then have almost all the elements described earlier: b = v - n = ka - n.  Since b + n = v < b+a, we have a > n.  Since v is a non-GO value, we have k < n+1, so k <= n.  Finally, since b > a, k > 1, so k >= 2.

This then gives us a clear way to produce all non-GO sets of 3 denominations.  {1, 3, 4}, {1, 4, 5}, {1, 4, 6}, {1, 4, 9}, ...

And that's as far as I got before the weekend.   Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »