wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Inscribed Triangle »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 4:12pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, SMQ, Eigenray, william wu, Icarus, towr)
   Inscribed Triangle
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Inscribed Triangle  (Read 1915 times)
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

Inscribed Triangle  
« on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Given an arbitrary triangle, construct another triangle which is inscribed in the first and has the minimal perimeter.
IP Logged
Eigenray
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: Inscribed Triangle   inscribedtriangle-minp.gif
« Reply #1 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 4:16pm »

How about this.
IP Logged

Barukh
Uberpuzzler

Re: Inscribed Triangle  
« Reply #2 on: Sep 4th, 2007, 5:19am »

on Sep 3rd, 2007, 4:16pm, Eigenray wrote:
How about this.

Bingo!  Cheesy

Have you got a proof? What kind of a triangle will you get?
IP Logged
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

Re: Inscribed Triangle   inscribedtriangle-minp2.gif
« Reply #3 on: Sep 4th, 2007, 7:34pm »

Let the triangle be ABC.  I reasoned in 3 steps:

(1) Fix R on side AB, and Q on AC.  How do you find P on BC minimizing QR + PQ + PR?
Reflect Q across BC to Q', and let P be the intersection of RQ' and BC.

(2) Fix R on side AB.  How do you find P on BC and Q on AC minimizing QR + PQ + PR?
Reflect R across AC to R', and across BC to R''.  Then QR+PQ+PR = R'Q+QP+PR'' R'R'', so let P,Q be the intersection of R'R'' with BC, AC, respectively

(3) How do you find P,Q, and R?
Reflect B across AC to B', and A across BC to A'.  We must find R on AB minimizing R'R'' above.  Subject to |R'B| = |RB| = |R''B|, it is clear(?) geometrically that |R'R''| is minimized when AR'R'' = BR''R'.  That is, R'R'' is parallel to the vertical lines BU and B'V in the diagram.  Then |UR'| = |BR''| = |BR| = |R'B'| = |R''V|.  So the desired line R'R'' is midway between BU and B'V.

The diagram assumes WLOG + > /2, and that ABC is acute.  (What happens if it's not?)

Can you show the following: the following triangles are all similar

ABC ~ AQR ~ PBR ~ PQC

in the ratio 1 : cos : cos : cos ?

Thus |PQR| = (1 - cos2 - cos2 - cos2)*|ABC|,

and the minimal perimeter is

PQ+QR+RP = a cos + b cos + c cos
 = (a sin)(b sin)(c sin)/ K
 = 2 K/R = 8 K2/(abc),

where K = |ABC|, and 2R = a/sin is the diameter of the circumscribed triangle.

Amusingly, the perimeter of PQR is

2 * sin * sin * c,

which is "dual" to the area of the original triangle

1/2 * a * b * sin.

Is there a deeper reason for this?

on Sep 4th, 2007, 5:19am, Barukh wrote:
What kind of a triangle will you get?

Huh
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2007, 8:39pm by Eigenray » IP Logged

ecoist
Senior Riddler

« Reply #4 on: Sep 4th, 2007, 9:23pm »

Help me out here, guys.  Shouldn't the inscribed triange be required to touch all three sides of the enclosing triangle?  Otherwise, the answer is a single point with perimeter zero.

If the inscribed triangle is required to touch all three sides of the enclosing triangle, I can construct such a triangle with perimeter equal to twice the length of a shortest side of the enclosing triangle, which perimeter is shorter than the one in Eigenray's picture.  What am I missing?
IP Logged
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Sep 4th, 2007, 9:56pm »

on Sep 4th, 2007, 9:23pm, ecoist wrote:
Help me out here, guys.  Shouldn't the inscribed triange be required to touch all three sides of the enclosing triangle?  Otherwise, the answer is a single point with perimeter zero.

That's hardly inscribed!

Quote:
If the inscribed triangle is required to touch all three sides of the enclosing triangle, I can construct such a triangle with perimeter equal to twice the length of a shortest side of the enclosing triangle, which perimeter is shorter than the one in Eigenray's picture.  What am I missing?

Is this for an obtuse triangle?  It seems my construction goes horribly wrong in this case.  If it is obtuse, maybe the solution is to take the shortest altitude?
IP Logged
ecoist
Senior Riddler

« Reply #6 on: Sep 4th, 2007, 10:12pm »

Sorry, I'm still lost, Eigenray!  Your inscribed triangle touches all three sides of the enclosing triangle, exactly as I meant.  And yes, my construction is obtuse.  Oops!  You meant the enclosing triangle could be obtuse.  My construction doesn't care; my constructed inscribed triangle is always obtuse.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2007, 10:18pm by ecoist » IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 5:01am »

Nice solution, Eigenray! Although I had a different one in mind.

Quote:
Huh

Connect the points A, P; B, Q; C, R. What do you get? And why?

on Sep 4th, 2007, 10:12pm, ecoist wrote:
Oops!  You meant the enclosing triangle could be obtuse.  My construction doesn't care; my constructed inscribed triangle is always obtuse.

Are you saying you can beat Eigenray’s solution in case the enclosing triangle is acute?
 Wink

on Sep 4th, 2007, 9:56pm, Eigenray wrote:
Is this for an obtuse triangle?  It seems my construction goes horribly wrong in this case.  If it is obtuse, maybe the solution is to take the shortest altitude?

Wink
IP Logged
ecoist
Senior Riddler

« Reply #8 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 9:32am »

Quote:
Are you saying you can beat Eigenray’s solution in case the enclosing triangle is acute?

I'm saying exactly that unless I miss-understand the meaning of "triangle inscribed in a triangle".
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 9:50am »

on Sep 5th, 2007, 9:32am, ecoist wrote:
I'm saying exactly that unless I miss-understand the meaning of "triangle inscribed in a triangle".

Could you please provide an example?
IP Logged
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 10:05am »

on Sep 4th, 2007, 10:12pm, ecoist wrote:
Your inscribed triangle touches all three sides of the enclosing triangle, exactly as I meant.

I meant that civilized people would not call a point an inscribed triangle.

on Sep 5th, 2007, 5:01am, Barukh wrote:
Connect the points A, P; B, Q; C, R. What do you get?

Well, that was unexpected!  Drop perpendiculars AP, BQ, CR.  Now, BR = a cos,  BP = c cos,  and RBP = , so RP = b cos, and ABC is similar to PBR.  Similarly, we get BRP = = ARQ, AQR = = PQC, and RPB = = QPC.

So a light beam emitted from P towards Q will reflect around and around in triangle PQR.
 This is the same as the triangle previously constructed.
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2007, 10:17am by Eigenray » IP Logged
ecoist
Senior Riddler

« Reply #11 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 10:28am »

Quote:
Could you please provide an example?

Gladly, Barukh!  Using Eigenray's figure, my triangle is BCP.  Although this triangle is degenerate, it lies within Eigenray's black triangle and touches all three sides of that triangle.  Its perimeter is clearly 2|BC|, which is less than the perimeter of PQR.

Why is this example illegitimate?
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #12 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 11:17am »

on Sep 5th, 2007, 10:28am, ecoist wrote:
Its perimeter is clearly 2|BC|, which is less than the perimeter of PQR.

Why is this example illegitimate?

Leaving  aside the legitimity of this triangle, its perimeter is more than Eigenray's solution, which for example follows from this remark:

on Sep 4th, 2007, 7:34pm, Eigenray wrote:
Amusingly, the perimeter of PQR is

2 * sin * sin * c,

IP Logged
Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #13 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 1:03pm »

From Eigenray's explanation it seems the triangle with smallest perimeter is a orthic triangle - is that the right term? the triangle formed by the feet of the altitudes . This shows that for an obtuse triangle the minimum permiter triangle i.e. the orthic triangle lies outside the triangle, so there has to be another triangle?? . I still don't have my own proof. Working on it!!
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2007, 1:04pm by Sameer » IP Logged

"Obvious" is the most dangerous word in mathematics.
--Bell, Eric Temple

Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
Sir Arthur Eddington, quoted in Bridges to Infinity
ecoist
Senior Riddler

« Reply #14 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 4:20pm »

How stupid of me!  Thanks, Barukh.  I had a mental cramp that no perimeter of an inscribed triangle could be less than 2|BC|.
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

Re: Inscribed Triangle   Fagnano.PNG
« Reply #15 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 4:56am »

on Sep 5th, 2007, 10:05am, Eigenray wrote:
Well, that was unexpected!  

Exactly! This triangle is called orthic, as Sameer pointed out rightly.

Eigenray, if we continue your drawing for another 3 triangle, the picture we get is almost self-explanatory (where the solution is drawn is dashed line): segments AB and A’B’ are parallel (why?),  RR’ is a straight line (why?), and any other line connecting corresponding points will have a greater length (solution by H.A.Schwarz).

on Sep 5th, 2007, 1:03pm, Sameer wrote:
This shows that for an obtuse triangle the minimum permiter triangle i.e. the orthic triangle lies outside the triangle, so there has to be another triangle?? . I still don't have my own proof. Working on it!!

Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2007, 4:59am by Barukh » IP Logged

Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #16 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 9:48pm »

Interesting. 5 reflections of the triangle!! How do you start with point R? As in the internal traces - how do you start with it? Is there a way to work out this method based on Eigenray's equation? e.g. equation 1 translates to reflection, etc...
IP Logged

--Bell, Eric Temple

Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: Sep 7th, 2007, 2:00am »

on Sep 6th, 2007, 9:48pm, Sameer wrote:
Is there a way to work out this method based on Eigenray's equation? e.g. equation 1 translates to reflection, etc...

In his derivation, Eigenray proved the mirror property of the orthic triangle: its sides form equal angles with the corresponding side of the enclosing triangle. Following this, is it clear that a reflection of orthic triangle in any side will produce a pair of parallel segments. This, in fact, determines uniquely a sequence of reflections, if we want to get a straight line of the sides of the orthic triangle (Eigneray used 2 such reflections). Now, it is left to notice that after the 5th reflection we get a pair of parallel lines of the enclosing triangle (this fact is still to be proved).

IP Logged
Aryabhatta
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #18 on: Sep 7th, 2007, 3:48pm »

I believe this is called as Fagnano's problem which Fagnano had solved using Calculus.  
(See the name of the image which Barukh attached  Tongue)

Schwartz was the first to give the elegant proof by mirroring.

Sorry for adding nothing to this thread  Undecided
IP Logged
Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #19 on: Sep 7th, 2007, 4:01pm »

Wow I didn't know this problem had a name!!  Cool I googled and got this famous site!!

http://www.cut-the-knot.org/Curriculum/Geometry/Fagnano.shtml
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2007, 4:01pm by Sameer » IP Logged

--Bell, Eric Temple

ecoist
Senior Riddler

« Reply #20 on: Sep 7th, 2007, 6:57pm »

Sameer wrote:

Quote:
after the 5th reflection we get a pair of parallel lines of the enclosing triangle (this fact is still to be proved)

In the figure, rewrite the middle A and B as A'' and B'', and write the middle C as C'.  Then the figures ABCB''A'' and A'B'C'A''B'' are congruent.  Hence the angles between the lines AB and A''B'' and that between A'B' and A''B'' are equal; whence AB and A'B' are parallel.

This suggests that the choice of R can vary, as long as the dotted red line stays inside the figure.

Oops!  Goofed again!  That dotted red line must pass through R'' on A''B'' as well as R' on A'B'!  Since moving R right/left causes R'' to move left/right, there is only one choice for R.

So what happens if angle ABC is greater than 90 degrees, when there is no R?  Is Eigenray's suggestion, an altitude, the solution for obtuse triangles?
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2007, 8:35pm by ecoist » IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #21 on: Sep 7th, 2007, 11:07pm »

on Sep 7th, 2007, 6:57pm, ecoist wrote:
Oops!  Goofed again!  That dotted red line must pass through R'' on A''B'' as well as R' on A'B'!  Since moving R right/left causes R'' to move left/right, there is only one choice for R.

Yes, you got it right.

Quote:
So what happens if angle ABC is greater than 90 degrees, when there is no R?  Is Eigenray's suggestion, an altitude, the solution for obtuse triangles?

Exactly.
IP Logged
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

I am no special. I am only passionately curious.

« Reply #22 on: Sep 8th, 2007, 2:30am »

on Sep 7th, 2007, 6:57pm, ecoist wrote:

From cut-the-knot,

Excerpt :
In obtuse or right triangles, however, no inscribed proper (with distinct vertices) triangle attains the minimum possible perimeter. There exist triangles whose perimeter is arbitarily close to twice the length of the shortest altitude but no proper triangle attains this value.

-- AI
P.S -> So, i guess one has to prove the non-existence here.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2007, 2:30am by TenaliRaman » IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
srn437

the dark lord rises again....

« Reply #23 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 6:33pm »

For any triangle in that triangle, there is one in that one with smaller perimeter. It would have to have perimeter of zero which wouldn't even be a triangle. So there is no answer.
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #24 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 9:43pm »

on Sep 9th, 2007, 6:33pm, srn347 wrote:
For any triangle in that triangle, there is one in that one with smaller perimeter. It would have to have perimeter of zero which wouldn't even be a triangle. So there is no answer.

Let me remind you that "inscribed triangle" means a triangle touching all 3 sides of the original triangle. Therefore, it cannot have a zero perimeter.

If you want to make your argument stronger, please take the figures posted by Eigenray or me and try to show an inscribed triangle with smaller perimeter.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »