wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Puzzle: Who gets larger salary? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 1:45pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: Icarus, Eigenray, william wu, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, towr)
   Puzzle: Who gets larger salary?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Puzzle: Who gets larger salary?  (Read 1555 times)
balki

balakrishnan_erode  

Puzzle: Who gets larger salary?  
« on: Sep 10th, 2009, 7:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Two persons A and B wants to know who gets more salary but they wont disclose their salaries to each other. How both can know who gets more and who gets less?
IP Logged
SMQ
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: Puzzle: Who gets larger salary?  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10th, 2009, 8:24am »

One possibility involving a third party C:

Let's call A's salary a and B's salary b.
Step 1: A and B secretly (without C's knowledge) agree on two numbers p (not zero) and q.
Step 2: A secretly tells C the number x = pa + q
Step 3: B secretly tells C the number y = pb + q
Step 4: C announces which of x or y is greater, but not by how much.

A and B now know whose salary is greater: if p is positive then x > y implies a > b and vice versa, otherwise if p is negative then x > y implies b > a and vice versa.  Neither A nor B knows any more than this, and C, not knowing p or q, also doesn't know anything about a or b -- not even which one is greater (since p could be negative).  As long as everyone follows the rules exactly no additional information is leaked.

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10th, 2009, 2:10pm »

Since there is obviously a huge demand for such third parties, I wonder why www.whichislarger.com, etc., are still available?
IP Logged
SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10th, 2009, 7:17pm »

on Sep 10th, 2009, 2:10pm, Eigenray wrote:
Since there is obviously a huge demand for such third parties, I wonder why www.whichislarger.com, etc., are still available?

It's no longer available. Grin

--SMQ
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2009, 7:18pm by SMQ » IP Logged

--SMQ

R
Senior Riddler

Addicted!!!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13th, 2009, 11:41pm »

This might help.
IP Logged

The first experience seems like Magic, but the second tells you the Trick behind it.
R
Senior Riddler

Addicted!!!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13th, 2009, 11:56pm »

Well in this problem and in the problem of comparing ages (here) use of third party is always discouraged.  
I was wondering why can't we write a computer program for comparing two numbers, and get this program verified by anyone who wants to check. Once the program is verified, each party can enter their number (ages or salaries) in this program and just see the output. Nobody get to know what the numbers were and if you want you can shutdown the computer right after running this program so that no smart act can be done with the RAM content.

I couldn't figure out any reason for the invalidity of this solution. Please tell me one.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2009, 11:58pm by R » IP Logged

The first experience seems like Magic, but the second tells you the Trick behind it.
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 1:05am »

on Sep 13th, 2009, 11:56pm, R wrote:
I couldn't figure out any reason for the invalidity of this solution. Please tell me one.
It is perfectly valid. As logn as they can both trust the computer; i.e. there is no keylogger, it isn't part of a botnet, nobody is recording the signals emitted by the keyboard or its sound (you can fairly well determine what someone types from the sound of the keyboard, with the right equipment) etc.

However, the real issue is that this problem is intended as a cryptography problem.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
R
Senior Riddler

Addicted!!!

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 5:27am »

on Sep 14th, 2009, 1:05am, towr wrote:

However, the real issue is that this problem is intended as a cryptography problem.

Yeah I totally understand. That's why the guy was so tense about it.
IP Logged

raven
Senior Riddler

"Why is a raven like a writing desk?"   ~M. Hatter

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 10:54am »

I'm not a cryptographer or mathematician or engineer or anything cool like that...so this is likely a silly response for this thread (yeah, I'm way out of my depth here)...but I propose this:

Use some representative medium that cannot be accurately reverse engineered to determine the input values, but can be otherwise readily compared using non-technical methods.  Of course this is the sugar cubes in the box approach.

My idea was regulated water in water balloons and see which one is larger or weighs more; or adding saturation values to two color swatches and comparing which one appears darker when side by side...the water balloons approach is better because you can readily burst the balloon after the comparison phase.

The problem with this general approach is that if the results are close -- the person will have a pretty good guesstimate of the other person's value -- knowing their own value, and not having anything in place to randomize the results.

Since all we want here is a (</>) or (+/-) result and nothing more, and the rules suggest not using a third party to mediate the result...I instead propose a sorting process to find the result.

1. Person A (we will call Bob) and person B (we will call Alice) agree upon a common scale to represent the possible outside range (edges) of their incomes -- say 1...10 with 1 being $1 million annually, and 10 being $10 million annually.

2. Now they take that scale and find the middle point.  They both answer if their respective incomes fall above or bellow that middle point.  If one is above and one is bellow, they have their answer; if both are above or both are bellow, they repeat the process using the half-range in which they both fall, as the new scale.

* This method works better the fewer steps needed before determining the result.  That is: both parties gain increased awareness of the other parties income with each additional step.

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2009, 10:59am by raven » IP Logged
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 5:13pm »

I bet you could do it using titration.  Person A prepares the titrant and tells person B how much titrand they should use for each dollar of their salary (the concentration can be adjusted too so A can't tell how much B is really adding).  If it changes color, B > A (to within experimental error).
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »