wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - SINGLE-FILE HAT EXECUTION 2 »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 11th, 2024, 12:04am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, Icarus, SMQ, towr, william wu, Eigenray)
   SINGLE-FILE HAT EXECUTION 2
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: SINGLE-FILE HAT EXECUTION 2  (Read 1845 times)
alien2
Uberpuzzler

SINGLE-FILE HAT EXECUTION 2  
« on: Nov 25th, 2011, 1:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Everything is the same except that each prisoner will get a hat of a different color. The ten hats will be randomly chosen from eleven different hats. The eleven colors of these hats are mentioned to the prisoners. They are white, black, blue, yellow, green, red, orange, pink, brown, gray and purple. So what’s the optimal plan? How many lives can be saved for certain? Instead of eleven colors, all hats could be white, each with a different black number ranging from 1 to 11.
IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

Re: SINGLE-FILE HAT EXECUTION 2  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25th, 2011, 3:07pm »

on Nov 25th, 2011, 1:35pm, alien2 wrote:
Everything is the same except that each prisoner will get a hat of a different color. The ten hats will be randomly chosen from eleven different hats. The eleven colors of these hats are mentioned to the prisoners. They are white, black, blue, yellow, green, red, orange, pink, brown, gray and purple. So what’s the optimal plan? How many lives can be saved for certain? Instead of eleven colors, all hats could be white, each with a different black number ranging from 1 to 11.

So the guy at the back knows his hat is one of just two colours/numbers?

I'm not sure whether or not there's a system that would allow the guy at the back to keep his 50% chance of success and still save everyone else, but it's definitely possible to guarantee saving everyone else.
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Nov 27th, 2011, 4:49am »

on Nov 25th, 2011, 3:07pm, rmsgrey wrote:

So the guy at the back knows his hat is one of just two colours/numbers?

That’s right.

on Nov 25th, 2011, 3:07pm, rmsgrey wrote:
I'm not sure whether or not there's a system that would allow the guy at the back to keep his 50% chance of success and still save everyone else, but it's definitely possible to guarantee saving everyone else.

How? Explain.  
IP Logged

towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27th, 2011, 6:59am »

on Nov 27th, 2011, 4:49am, alien2 wrote:
How? Explain.
Sum* all the numbers he can see modulo 11 (i.e. like adding hours on a clock if there were just 11 hours in half a day). Then everyone else can determine their number on their turn from what they've heard before and what they can see.

*) for summing modulo 11 it's more convenient if the numbering goes from 0 to 10
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2011, 7:02am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Nov 27th, 2011, 7:33am »

Man. I was sure that the answer is 6 out of 10. Delete this topic if you think that the riddle is too simple. I don’t mind.
IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27th, 2011, 8:41am »

The question I haven't resolved is whether there's a suitable coding so that the number/colour the guy at the back should say according to the system is always going to be one of the two he can't see in front of him.

It looks like it could be possible - with no agreed system, each person has a choice of two hat colours, one of which is always their own - no-one's going to name a colour they can see, so no-one's going to repeat an earlier colour, so each person will have seen or heard nine different colours by the time they need to guess.

I haven't found a system that will work, nor a construction to produce one, but I haven't found a proof that it's impossible either.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »