wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - What's Your Cut »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 2:10am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: william wu, Eigenray, towr, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Icarus, Grimbal)
   What's Your Cut
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What's Your Cut  (Read 2193 times)
fieldazed

What's Your Cut  
« on: Apr 17th, 2012, 9:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Coop is our weekly friendly poker games resident card counter and odds calculator.  Fortunately, his poker face reads like a book and he can't keep an ash on his stogie when bluffing.  As of late prop bets have been in favor at our game and last week Coop offered this one:  "For five bucks I'll cut the deck, if it's a club I win, if not it's your turn and if you cut a Jack, Queen, King, or Ace the fiver's yours.  We'll continue mano a mano until there's a winner shuffling after each cut if you want. I'll even agree to go around the table five times, twenty games in all.  Everyone in?"  Coop then pulled a c-note from his wallet and slapped it on the table.  Huck, after a long pull on his bourbon and oblivious to the workout the ashtray was now getting, piped up first. "So thirteen clubs vs sixteen honors, I'm in."  Rob, Vern and I reluctantly agreed even though we suspected Coop had an edge.  Where we right?
IP Logged
SMQ
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: What's Your Cut  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17th, 2012, 10:13am »

Yes, you were right: going first is enough to give him an advantage.  If your friendly games don't use the jokers, he has a thirteen to twelve advantage; if you do use the jokers, it's slightly less: 351 to 328 or about 12.8 to twelve.

Edit to add: and even that relatively small margin is enough to give him almost a two-thirds chance of ending up even or ahead after 20 games.

--SMQ
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2012, 10:40am by SMQ » IP Logged

--SMQ

fieldazed

Re: What's Your Cut  
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18th, 2012, 3:38pm »

you are, of course, correct SMQ.  perhaps this one belonged in a different forum.  still feeling my way around here.  also wanted to introduce the cast of characters for some hopefully more challenging future puzzles.  thought the (mild) interest here was the more simple/insightful way of looking at the problem as a single repeated game which appears to be your approach vs solving an infinite series.  will be back...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »