wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - helpful polynimial »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 12:15am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, william wu, Eigenray, Icarus, towr, Grimbal, SMQ)
   helpful polynimial
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: helpful polynimial  (Read 1750 times)
Mickey1

helpful polynimial  
« on: Oct 18th, 2012, 1:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I wonder (for reasons related to Pell’s equation ) whether for an arbitrary non-constant polynomial  with integer coefficients , P1(n),  there is (always?) another similar polynomial  (non-constant polynomial  with integer coefficients) P2(n) , so that P1(P2(n))=(P3(n))^2 for a third similar polynomial P3(n)

For instance P1(n)=n+1 and P2(n)=nn+2n would yield P1(P2(n))=nn+2n+1=(n+1)^2 (also =P1(n)^2).  For n=0 we get P1(P2(0))=(P3(0))^2 = C^2 if C is the constant in P3(n).
IP Logged
pex
Uberpuzzler

Re: helpful polynimial  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18th, 2012, 2:01pm »

on Oct 18th, 2012, 1:50pm, Mickey1 wrote:
I wonder (for reasons related to Pell’s equation ) whether for an arbitrary non-constant polynomial  with integer coefficients , P1(n),  there is (always?) another similar polynomial  (non-constant polynomial  with integer coefficients) P2(n) , so that P1(P2(n))=(P3(n))^2 for a third similar polynomial P3(n)

For instance P1(n)=n+1 and P2(n)=nn+2n would yield P1(P2(n))=nn+2n+1=(n+1)^2 (also =P1(n)^2).  For n=0 we get P1(P2(0))=(P3(0))^2 = C^2 if C is the constant in P3(n).

No. Try P1(n) = n2 + 1.
IP Logged
Mickey1

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20th, 2012, 11:59am »

Your comment is not quite clear to me. I need also your f2(n) and f3(n) to see the light!

My problem:  

For D in x*x-Dy*y=1, I am looking at solutions for D around squares, D=n*n.  For the number following a square, D= n*n+1, we have  

(2n*n+1)^2-( n*n+1)*(2n)^2  =1

For the next higher D, i.e. D=n*n+2 we have  

(n*n+1)^2-( n*n+2)*n*n =1  

for D=n*n +3 the solution (assuming it exist) is less obvious. We have for n=7 and D= n*n+3=52 , y=90 and x=649  

We can write y=90 as 2n*n-8 or as 2n*n-n-1
but Dy*y+1 does not give me a square for these expressions. But if there is one, I speculate that I can find it by a substitution into a first attempt version.

I believe that the corresponding real argument polynomial would yield the derivate

f1'(f2(x))=2*f3(x)*f3'(x) (isn't that so and can this perhaps be used in my investigation?)

There are also some follow up issues  i) would such a method always work, i.e. starting with any non-constant polynomial will I always find the square polynomial (P3(n))^2? and ii) if a solution for x was found how would I find  the lowest?  
IP Logged
pex
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20th, 2012, 2:35pm »

on Oct 20th, 2012, 11:59am, Mickey1 wrote:
Your comment is not quite clear to me. I need also your f2(n) and f3(n) to see the light!

Sorry for not being clearer. My point was that I do not think P2 and P3 can be found in this case:
P1(anything) = a square plus one = usually not a square.
IP Logged
Mickey1

« Reply #4 on: Oct 21st, 2012, 12:21pm »

Thanks

I take this to mean that there is no on the shelf technique. You know that xx-Dyy= not usually a square either. I could still be lucky with nn+3. Then again it could be that the squares occurring allow general solutions to be available only for D= nn +-1 and +- 2 ?

Perhaps xxx-Dyyy=1 has similar properties for  nnn+- 1 to 3. I tried to find examples on the internet but  found only a reference to Hilbert's 10th problem. That may be a good or bad omen.

In any case  

n^3-(n^3-1)*1^3=1
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »