wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - How are M&Ms made? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:50pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   microsoft
(Moderators: SMQ, Icarus, towr, Eigenray, Grimbal, william wu, ThudnBlunder)
   How are M&Ms made?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How are M&Ms made?  (Read 37179 times)
Your name here

Email

How are M&Ms made?  
« on: Jul 30th, 2002, 5:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

A nozzle with a diameter of about 1/2mm squirts out a hot substance that, when cooled, forms the candy shell of the M&M.  The nozzle tip starts at rest, then begins moving in a gradually increasing circle until it is moving in a circle that is equal in size to an M&M.  The size of the circle then decreases until the nozzle tip is at rest again, then the cycle is repeated.

The hot substance comes out of the nozzle tip and forms the shell of the M&M, just like a pot can be made by coiling strings of clay one on top of the other.  Gravity pulls the shell away from the nozzle, and the equipment is calibrated so the shell is built up at the same speed it falls away.  (The speed of the nozzle rotation has to change  to match the accelerating speed of the falling shell.) When the circle grows from nothing to the size of the M&M, the bottom of the candy shell is formed, and as the circle shrinks the top of the M&M is formed.

A connected series of about 500 M&M shells is thus formed.  These long chains of M&M shells are sent to workshops in the developing world, where labourers saw them apart with jeweler's saws.  After sawing the shells naturally have holes in their tops and bottoms.  They are then mounted on a centrifuge and spun around their axis at high speeds while molten chocolate is injected into them.  The spinning action throws the chocolate out to the perimeter of the candy shell and keeps it from dripping out.  When the chocolate is hard, the M&M is removed from the centrifuge and the holes in the shell are filled and sanded by technicians trained in auto body repair.  The M&Ms are then spraypainted and the M&M logo is painted on with a very fine brush by children with extremely keen eyes.

IP Logged
Alex

Email

Re: How are M&Ms made?  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31st, 2002, 10:39am »

Next time I eat an M&M, I will have a greater appreciation for it.
IP Logged
Kozo Morimoto

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 3:37am »

Very creative explanation!

But ...
http://www.mmmars.com/cai/mms/faq.html#how
IP Logged
bartleby

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 1:11pm »

I always assumed that M&M were made by first taking a large block of (low-quality) chocolate, and then giving it to an artisan with a chisel, who knocked away all the chocolate in the block that didn't look like an M&M center.   Then, the little M&M center is handed to another artisan who sands off the rough edges to smooth out the chocolate oblate spheroid.  These are then shipped to a company that makes billiard balls, who applies the shell with paint, and finished them with shellac.  Then the candy is finished by imprinting it with a "w", and turning the candy upside-down.
IP Logged
jon_G

« Reply #4 on: Dec 4th, 2002, 9:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I figured the M&Ms were made from huge lakes of chocolate, which evaporated and formed huge clouds of chocolate and when these clouds got really dark you would hear thunder and the chocolate drops would fall(all the while being formed into a perfectly round and oval candy) into an area with many differently colored pools of candy coating. Then they were recovered by oompa loompas in a super clean area(like what was in willy wonka and the chocolate factory) Then they were put into huge bags which would go through a machine which would zap them into smaller bags, then they are sold 2 for a dollar at the corner store(all the while the customers not knowing what went into what they are eating). Wink
IP Logged

Why climb the corporate latter, when you can own it.
venkat

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 5th, 2003, 12:55pm »

I think we should better watch food networks unwrapped program. each week the program shows how junk food is made.  Smiley
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 6th, 2003, 1:39pm »

M&Ms are actually made by extra-terrestrial beings. No object of that perfect shape can be made on the planet Earth due to gravity. In fact, "M&Ms", as they are called, are not designed to be candies at all, but are intergalactic space vehicles manufactured in a distant part of the galaxy.

In the spaceship factory orbiting the planet Murango, the hull manufacturing dropper places a large sphere of brown inner hull material in the exact center of the spaceship creation area.  

Next, three massively superconducting coils energize, distorting the space-time continuum to create a local gravity-like effect. These loops proceed to spin around the brown sphere, distorting its shape until it is within the specified tolerances of an intergalactic spaceship. Next, the inner workings of the space vehicle, along with the space craft's crew, are inserted into the center of the brown inner hull material. Since the brown hull material is still molten at this stage, the path of insertion closes as soon as the Mechanism Insertion Machine has completed its task.  

Inside the inner workings of the space craft is a very small amount of matter at absolute zero. Due to a loophole in the laws of thermodynamics, a heat engine of 100% efficiency can be created using this matter as a heatsink. This heat engine absorbs heat from the brown inner hull material, cooling it until it solidifies, and charging the energy-storage coils inside the space craft.

The only task remaining is to attach the space craft's outer shell. First, the outer shell is created by suspending a small bubble of compressed gas inside a larger bubble of elastic outer-shell compound. When this bubble is put into the vacuum of space, the gas expands, enlarging the elastic outer shell. The outer shell is brought to the outer shell fabrication area, where it is gravo-stretched. When it has reached its proper shape (just large enough to fit over the inner shell), microwave energy is introduced into the outer-shell fabrication area, activating the catalysts contained within the outer-shell compound. In only a short time, the outer shell solidifies into a nearly impenetrable shield for the space craft.

The outer shell is then sliced into two pieces using a mono-molecular cutting tool. The two pieces are brought into the spaceship creation area, and positioned around the brown inner hull. Because of the exact fit attained with this process, molecular adhesion instantly joins the three pieces together, stronger than any imaginable joint.

The intergalactic symbol of peace is emblazoned onto the bottom of the space craft, indicating that the craft is not military in nature.

Now how the "M&Ms" get to Earth, and why they are called "M&Ms" is somewhat of a complicated story, that is best left for another time.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2003, 1:43pm by James Fingas » IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
simplicity

« Reply #7 on: Feb 28th, 2003, 1:04am »

Grinlol
IP Logged
mike1102

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10th, 2003, 12:37pm »

Once upon a time,..... In a galaxy far far away....... I think it was on a Tuesday if my memory serves me correct...... there was what has come to be known today as "dark matter". It was everywhere. It permiated the universe. And it was a huge problem: Nobody could see anything - It was just too dark. Then, those pioneers of experimental physics and pre-relativity culinary arts, Michelson & Morley, discovred this dark matter actually tasted very sweet. So they concieve a plan. They concocted a recipe that involved one part dark matter, and four parts ether (Don't try this at home) that simultaneously and completely eliminated the ether forever (they did save some for themselves of course), radically reduced the dark matter in the universe and spawned the entire junk-food industry just by packaging this stuff. When asked what this new taste delight was to be called they replied with the obvious, and the rest is history. - PS: feel free to pass this along to those cosmologists out there that haven't gotten the word yet.
IP Logged
Simple Simon

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31st, 2003, 3:57pm »

You put "M" and "M" together  Grin
IP Logged
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #10 on: Aug 1st, 2003, 1:23am »

on Jul 31st, 2003, 3:57pm, Simple Simon wrote:
You put "M" and "M" together  Grin

Shouldn't you put "M" and "&" and "M" together?  Cheesy
IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
m+m lover

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 7:21am »

but what makes them so dam nice, no one can answer that Smiley
IP Logged
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 1:35pm »

Quote:
but what makes them so dam nice, no one can answer that

Quote:
Very creative explanation!

But ...
http://www.mmmars.com/cai/mms/faq.html#how

From the web site: "The chocolate (or chocolate-covered peanut, peanut butter, almond and crispy) centers are color-coated by rotating them in a revolving pan, while a sugar and corn syrup mixture is added."

Chocolate coated in sugar and corn syrup. Chocolaty and sweet, what else do you need?
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
answerman

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 29th, 2004, 10:53am »

You sillies, M&Ms are naturally occuring fruit of the loom.
IP Logged
Lewis Temple

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 11:36pm »

M&M's are made the same way the W&W's are!
IP Logged
Ani

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 8:52am »

I have it on good athority that M&M's were made by throwing little chocolate peices through a waterfall of candy coating...but it's super fast drying coating so by the time the chocolates land on the otherside...they're dry and perfectly coated.  THEN they paint on the little m's or w's whatever!
IP Logged
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #16 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 9:12pm »

I swore someone told me that those cute little things grows on tress...the M&M's company just harvest them from time to time.
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Elizabeth

Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 9th, 2005, 3:08pm »

Now, every time I eat an M&M, I'll look at ans say:

"Now I know how much trouble they go through just to show off how fabulous you are."

Thank you M&Ms!!
IP Logged
Elizabeth Tyson!!!

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 9th, 2005, 3:24pm »

[quote author=Elizabeth link=board=riddles_microsoft;num=1028073663;start=0#17 date=11/09/05 at 15:08:57]Now, every time I eat an M&M, I'll look at and say:

"Now I know how much trouble they go through just to show off how fabulous you are."

Thank you M&Ms!! Cheesy
IP Logged
jwhooper

Email

« Reply #19 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 11:38am »

I used to work for M&M, so I just happen to know this one:

Inside a cube of the hard candy shell material, powerful electromagnets create the ovoidly spherical magnetic fields that contain the antimatter particles which are then pumped in through a nanotube to create a perfect M&M void within by destroying all of the matter inside the magnetic field.

Naturally, chocolate molecules are far too large to flow down the same nanotube structure, so the atomic particles of the creamy milk chocolate center must be pumped in randomly and then assembled correctly by leaving corresponding entangled particles outside as a block of milk chocolate and then collapsing the wave function.

As you can see, many M&Ms can in this way be constructed inside a single hard candy shell block.  All that is left is to leave a perfect thickness of candy shell around each creamy milk chocolate center.

As you all have probably guessed already, this is done the easy way, by merely dropping the cubes into vats of genetically engineered microbes that thrive on hard candy shell, but are killed instantly by creamy milk chocolate, and so have evolved to stop a safe distance away (the perfect distance for the perfect hard candy shell).

Miracle candy that melts in your mouth but not in your hands does NOT grow on trees.  I'm tired of people saying this.  Only science can bring about such modern miracles.

Please, try to be serious.
IP Logged
Random Lack of Squiggily Lines
Senior Riddler

Everything before 7/1/2008 is now irrelevant.

« Reply #20 on: May 3rd, 2007, 5:23am »

Ok first W&W's start with the shell. they pump liquid shell into a casing and centrificul force made by sugar crazed Umpa lumpas, and then squirt liquid sugar into the shells. more centrifical force and and a printing machine later the W&W's pop out and Land in bags. Everyon eats them wrong, they are W&W's!

Give or take a few ____'s .
IP Logged

You can only believe i what you can prove, and since you have nothing proven to cmpare to, you can believe in nothing.

I have ~50 posts to hack a "R" into a "D". Which one?
Jonathan_the_Red

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 5:07am »

on Jul 30th, 2002, 5:01pm, Your name here wrote:
A connected series of about 500 M&M shells is thus formed.  These long chains of M&M shells are sent to workshops in the developing world, where labourers saw them apart with jeweler's saws.

Okay, that made me laugh out loud. All I can say is that if M&M's aren't made this way, they should be.

I've both been the target and the inflicter of many, many Microsoft interviews. Questions like these are intended to give insight into the workings of a candidate's mind. YNH, I would hire you on the spot.
IP Logged

My arcade cabinet
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #22 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 7:20am »

on Jun 6th, 2007, 5:07am, Jonathan_the_Red wrote:
YNH, I would hire you on the spot.

Why?  Just because he knows how M&M's are made?  Shocked
IP Logged
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #23 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 9:46am »

JtR! It's been ages!
IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #24 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 12:39pm »

on Jun 6th, 2007, 9:46am, BNC wrote:
JtR! It's been ages!

Yes indeed ... and the thing that lured him here? M&Ms... now we know what bait to use!!  Wink
IP Logged

"Obvious" is the most dangerous word in mathematics.
--Bell, Eric Temple

Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
Sir Arthur Eddington, quoted in Bridges to Infinity
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »