wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Remote Control Design »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:33am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   microsoft
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Grimbal, william wu, Eigenray, towr, Icarus)
   Remote Control Design
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Remote Control Design  (Read 5940 times)
JeffBot

jeffneyw

Remote Control Design  
« on: Nov 20th, 2002, 10:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Got this question at a recent MS internship interview:
  I am a venture capitalist providing you with money for a remote-control start up firm.  Design a remote control that will make me rich.

Any answers ...  Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2002, 4:45pm by william wu » IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

Re: New MS Question  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22nd, 2002, 10:47am »

Methinks I'll design a remote control for Automatic Banking Machines. Just keep hitting the "dispense" button ...

It'll make you very rich!

On second thought, I'll design a remote control for elephants. You can only control an elephant when it's on the other side of the world. The "rampage" button will be really fun Wink

This remote control will make me rich!
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Kozo Morimoto

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28th, 2002, 4:26am »

Some of the thing I find annoying about RCs are:
1) they get lost - so I'll design an RC which will answer when you yell out and carries itself to homebase at set times each day.
2) they run out of batteries - so some kind of permanent energy source (nuclear) or a built in dynamo that charges the battery when you squeeze it a few times, maybe something shaped like a pistol grip, or using the homing feature of (1), it recharges when its sitting on its homebase.
3) an automatic learning so that all my remotes can be combined into one device - you sit it in front of the TV/VCR/DVD/CD player etc and it sends out IRs and detect changes in the device in question and stores all the freqs that causes a reaction
4) device has to be small, heavy duty (survive frequent droppings) and water proof (survive spilt drinks)
IP Logged
jon_G

« Reply #3 on: Dec 4th, 2002, 9:11pm »

I would design a glove that has an intigrated computer system that follows directions by moving your hand. It would have a feature that allows you to turn it on or off with the touch of your thumb to your pinky. The glove would primarily be for controling any type of remote controled car or even a real car. Wink
IP Logged

Why climb the corporate latter, when you can own it.
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: Remote Control Design  
« Reply #4 on: May 1st, 2004, 9:45am »

Somewhere behind the question is this one: I have more money than you, are you still ready to work hard making me richer?

Frankly, if I could do that, I would not go to a MS interview, but set up a company for myself and see venture capitalists, one that talks about making us rich.
IP Logged
bishwa

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 3:47pm »

on Nov 20th, 2002, 10:14pm, JeffBot wrote:
... I am a venture capitalist providing you with money for a remote-control start up firm.  Design a remote control that will make me rich.

Any answers ...  Grin

I am assuming that you have negotiated how much of the startup company is owned by you and how much by venture capitalists. Corporate governance as laid out by law is observed. If it is still worthwhile then do the following.
1. Startup a separate company wholly owned by you that produces/owns a trivial item that deteriorates with time and needs replacing frequently. eg a unique battery.
2. design a very good remote control system ensuring that the aforesaid item is included as a core part of the design.
IP Logged
hemorraged

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 9:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i would invent a remote control that puts the wife on mute.
IP Logged
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 1:27pm »

Even better, hype up the stock pre-IPO, using prototypes with no clear meaning and no promise of delivering an actual remote control. Then pump and dump the stock, walking away with millions while the company goes bankrupt. I think I just described the dot-com-boom Smiley

Anyway, this reminds me of an episode of The Twilight Zone. A couple is visited by a man with a box. The box has a button. If they push the button they get a million dollars, but someone they do not know dies. In the end they push the button, get a million dollars, and the man comes to get the box and give it to... someone they do not know Grin
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »