wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - What machines make machines? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 6:52pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   microsoft
(Moderators: william wu, Grimbal, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, towr, SMQ)
   What machines make machines?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What machines make machines?  (Read 5894 times)
The_Beast

Email

What machines make machines?  
« on: Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ok, we got talking about this in my hs Trig class.  You have a car right?  Some of it was made by machines, but where did those machines come from?  Other machines, ok, but where did THOSE machines come from?  It has to start somwhere, but how was that machine made?  Thoughts?
IP Logged
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

Re: What machines make machines?  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:57am »

Well, eventually, if you go back far enough, some machine or tool was designed completely by hand, without the aid of machines. Early knives and axes and hammers, for instance, were made by hand.
IP Logged
The_Beast

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23rd, 2002, 9:58pm »

yeah, but I'm talking about modern day.
IP Logged
TimMann
Senior Riddler

« Reply #3 on: Nov 24th, 2002, 8:37pm »

But you can't just talk about modern-day. A machine that is made today is made with the aid of machines that were made sometime in the past. Those machines were made with the aid of machines that were made sometime further back in the past. And so on. Eventually as you work backwards in this way, you must come to a machine with all handmade parts, but you might have to go very far back into the past.
IP Logged

http://tim-mann.org/
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25th, 2002, 9:48am »

I also have thought about this. The real question is not how the first machine came about, but rather about how you get from nothing to a machine of great accuracy.

It is quite easy to create a large metal machine--start with a big block of wax, carve out your shape, then use the lost-wax casting process. Now you have a big lump of metal.  

As for making the machine precise, that requires some extra fiddling. The most important thing you need to make the machine precise is a set of precision measuring tools. With adequate measuring devices, you can make a precise machine using only hand tools (it will just take a long time).

Therefore, maybe a better way to ask the question is: starting from nothing (ie. desert island, but with metal scraps--we won't worry about the complexities of metallurgy), how long would it take you to produce an accurate ruler? How would you create it? I'm sure that there are hundreds of different ways, but this is certainly an interesting question.
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25th, 2002, 10:25am »

on Nov 25th, 2002, 9:48am, James Fingas wrote:
Therefore, maybe a better way to ask the question is: starting from nothing (ie. desert island, but with metal scraps--we won't worry about the complexities of metallurgy), how long would it take you to produce an accurate ruler? How would you create it? I'm sure that there are hundreds of different ways, but this is certainly an interesting question.

That depends on what you mean by accurate. If you want to measure meters accurately, then you need to build up a considerable amount of sophistication in your equipment, until you can measure the speed of light and the fine lines of Cesium atoms with good accuracy, and use that to figure out what a meter is.

However, if you just want accurate gradations on a ruler whose length you set to some arbitrary standard of your devising, it is considerably easier. (Indeed, this is a required first step in measuring the meter as above.) First, you make a straight-edge. To make sure the edge is straight, hang a piece of string with a heavy weight at the bottom. Compare your edge to the string. Then you build a compass (circle drawing kind of course). Use these to do the straight-edge-and-compass construction for dividing your ruler into equal increments.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
john

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14th, 2002, 9:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Nanomachines, of course!
IP Logged
Tex

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13th, 2003, 9:40am »

Since the human body is actually a mysteriously well-arranged collection of structural supports, joints, fuel and waste management systems, all synchronized by a very sophisticated organic computer, couldn't I answer that all machines are made by the human machine?
(Of course this leads to the question, what machine made the first human machine?  The mechanism of natural selection, or the mechanism of the infinite all-powerful?  I think that would be over-analyzing the question.  Or maybe, I already did.  Is that the real riddle?)

Welcome my friends,
Welcome to the machine.
IP Logged
Jie-Song Zhang

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25th, 2003, 2:33pm »

If you want to get philosophical on that ass, could you not argue that man himself is a machine? A machine programmed with a genetic algorithm implemented to fulfill the endeavor of evolution?

You could even take it up another level in the hierarchy and argue that the entire construct of the Cosmos entails one huge machine.

Or maybe I should put this joint down.
IP Logged
Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #9 on: Aug 18th, 2003, 3:47pm »

Maybe the Matrix directors can answer that  Grin Tongue
IP Logged

"Obvious" is the most dangerous word in mathematics.
--Bell, Eric Temple

Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
Sir Arthur Eddington, quoted in Bridges to Infinity
maryl

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 18th, 2003, 6:47pm »

on Jan 25th, 2003, 2:33pm, Jie-Song Zhang wrote:

If you want to get philosophical on that ass, could you not argue that man himself is a machine? A machine programmed with a genetic algorithm implemented to fulfill the endeavor of evolution?

You could even take it up another level in the hierarchy and argue that the entire construct of the Cosmos entails one huge machine.

Or maybe I should put this joint down.

I think Pink Floyd would agree with you.
But actually didn't Education and Intuition, as well as money and metal make all the machines.
IP Logged
Lightboxes

« Reply #11 on: Sep 24th, 2003, 9:18am »

Machines were, and are still, made from retrieving materials and resources from the earth.  It could be easily argued that human labor did that specific work, way way back in the past.  But they did not "create" the fire used to melt materials into a nice smooth piece of metal.  So my conclusion is that physics, molecule properties, and the natural order of the universe created the machines we now have today.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2003, 9:19am by Lightboxes » IP Logged

A job is not worth doing unless it's worth doing well.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »