wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Microsoft Algebra Question »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 11:19pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   microsoft
(Moderators: Grimbal, towr, Eigenray, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, william wu)
   Microsoft Algebra Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Microsoft Algebra Question  (Read 10805 times)
SWF
Uberpuzzler

Microsoft Algebra Question  
« on: Apr 2nd, 2004, 5:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Simplify the following algebraic expression:

- x2 - x2

You are strongly encouraged to check your answer with Microsoft Excel and the spreadsheet in Microsoft Works.
IP Logged
Cathos

Carpe Canum

Email

Re: Microsoft Algebra Question  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 2nd, 2004, 9:28pm »

Is the answer not Zero?
IP Logged

Sum Arbor
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4th, 2004, 1:45am »

The really interesting question (IMHO) is why, o why doesn't M$ change it, when they know it's wrong.
IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
Cathos

Carpe Canum

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 4th, 2004, 7:18pm »

That is the answer right?  I plugged it into Excel, and I checked it with a calculator, and I got that answer.  Am I missing something? (I never got very far in math, but I thought I understood algebra)
 Huh
IP Logged

Sum Arbor
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Apr 5th, 2004, 1:20am »

The question is if you do unary operations before or after power operations.
IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #5 on: Apr 5th, 2004, 4:12pm »

By convention in mathematics, exponentiation gets the highest priority on its base side, ahead of all other operations. For some reason, the programmers at MS decided to violate this and make negation (unary minus) a higher priority operation, even though they left binary minus at a lower priority. I would be very much interested to hear why. Apparently from the remarks on the linked page, it was intentional (or at least, they are pretending it was).

Cathos: To the rest of the world other than Microsoft,

- x2 - x2 = - (x2) - (x2) = -2x2

To Microsoft,

- x2 - x2 = (-x)2 - (x2) = x2 - x2 = 0.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Cathos

Carpe Canum

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 5th, 2004, 8:38pm »

Wow, I must be really rusty with my Algebra, 'cause I got 0 with a calculator too...  See, this is why I don't venture past the Easy and What am I forums.
IP Logged

Sum Arbor
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Apr 5th, 2004, 9:41pm »

Cathos, do you by any chance work for Microsoft?

This is something I ran across for using Excel to try to compute exp(-x^2). But BNC's link shows MS is well aware of it. At first I though MS was just trying to dictate their own idea of precedence on the rest of the world. However, my version the Microsoft Works spreadsheet does it correctly, so it does not give the same answer as Excel.
IP Logged
Cathos

Carpe Canum

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 5th, 2004, 10:28pm »

Funny, SWF.  I don't work in the computer biz at all - just a hobby of mine since the old C64 (ahh, the nostalgia...)  Well, I did get the right answer when I tried again, which means I'm smart enough to work a calculator at least half the time.  Cool
IP Logged

Sum Arbor
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 4:58pm »

My first personal computer was a Commodore 128. I loved that thing! I believe I had more fun playing games on it than I have ever had since.

For those of you who are too young, that "64" and "128" refer to how many kilobytes of memory the machines had. And this memory total included both the ROM operating system (8 or 16 K - I don't remember) and RAM.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
kellys

« Reply #10 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 5:12pm »

Really?  It wasn't called the Commodore 64 because it had 64 bit 3-D graphics?  How lame.  Smiley
IP Logged
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #11 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 5:23pm »

Nice one, kellys! Grin

Did you have Sinclair computers in America? My first tinkering with a home computer was with a Sinclair ZX80 (1K RAM), but the first one I owned was an Oric-1 (with a massive 16K RAM). I then progressed to a BBC 32K Microcomputer. Cor! the good old days. *nostalgic swoon*

For anyone interested, I found this webpage that has an archive of adverts for some of these dinosaurs.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2004, 5:27pm by Sir Col » IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #12 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 6:08pm »

****** WARNING *******
GEEZER REMINENCES AHEAD
****** WARNING *******

The first personal computer I ever encountered was a TRS-80 that my high school got in 1978. The amazing device had a whole 16K of memory (my school splurged and got the expensive one - there was also an 8K model). Its graphics was alas slightly short of the 64bit 3-D standard. It had a 24 row by 40 column text screen, but by using its graphical extension of ASCII, you could subdivide each character space into 4 parts, giving you a whopping 3840 "pixel" resolution!

I used to graph polar equations of the form r = A+ Bsin([theta]/N) that way. It was loads of fun trying to figure out what the graph really looked like from what I saw on the screen. I also remember once calculating how much memory it would take to assign a byte to every actual pixel on the screen (the monitor itself was low resolution by today's standards) and deciding that even with the pace of improvements at the the time, it was unrealistic to ever expect this much memory to become widely available in my lifetime (it actually took about 5-10 years).

For obvious reasons (well - obvious to those who know my true name), I was tempted to buy a Sinclair computer. But Commodore had a much superior machine in my price range, so I ended up getting the C128 instead. Long before I could even think of buying more than one computer, Sinclair was gone.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2004, 6:27pm by Icarus » IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Cathos

Carpe Canum

Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 7:00pm »

Oh dear, look what I've started - an "I remember the good ol' days" fest.

Mine was actually a hybrid 64/128, but I always used the 64 mode, cause the 128 was too sophisticated for me at the time (I'm a little younger than you, Icarus  Wink )  How I miss the old Basic...
IP Logged

Sum Arbor
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #14 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 7:43pm »

C128 were all hybrids. All the software support was for the 64, so I almost never used the added 128 capabilities either. The extra memory was only available by memory paging, if I recall. You could run the cpu at 2 MHz instead of the 1MHz of 64 mode, but again, no commercial programs ever made use of it, and my own were never sophisticated enough for the difference to be useful. The most intriguing thing about the C128 was that it actually had 2 processors. You could run it with the default processor (an 8086, if I recall), but it also had a Z80 processor that you could switch to. The problem though was that all there was for a Z80 operating system was an assembler on the 8086 side. So you if you wanted to use the Z80, you had to write an assembly program and compile it on the 8086 side, then switch to the Z80 to execute it. More trouble than it was ever worth. I'm sure that very few of those Z80 processors were ever used. Mine only saw a few token attempts.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #15 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 3:07am »

Disclaimer: Yet more reminiscing...

We were rather fortunate when I was at school as our Computer Studies teacher had connections with Liverpool University (near where I grew up), and when I was 13 years old he took a select group of us to visit their Computing department. We had the opportunity to spend two days playing on a VAX minicomputer!

I remember getting myself into trouble though. Each user was allocated a humble amount of memory, and I discovered how to "peek" and "poke"; it was possible to access your memory space byte-by-byte. The sneaky part was that there was no check for the address you accessed, so it was possible to view and amend other users' data. I don't remember much about the system, but I think that the architecture was based on job sharing, which meant that most tasks, like printing, were queued (and open to modification if you found the correct address). The messages that some of my classmates sent to the printer were disgraceful!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2004, 3:08am by Sir Col » IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 5:37pm »

My school acquired an obsolete computer from some buisness, and we used to write programs on computer cards and feed them into a card reader. Programs would run and print out on a teletype (no monitor). Interactive editing of the program could not be saved except by printing a text copy. The front of the computer had a row of lights with a switch under each that corresponded to the state of bits of information. A later upgrade came with a hexadecimal keypad allowing 4 bits of information to be entered at the touch of a single button. It was a real treat when we acquired a teletype that could save interactive work by punching holes on a long strand of yellow paper tape.

That would have been around 1975 when I was 12. Every computer from then until my recent experience with Excel has computed -x^2-x^2 as -2*x^2.

What is the point of having Excel treat -x^y as (-x)^y ? If y is not an integer, the result is not a real number; if y is an even integer, the negative sign is irrelevant; if y is an odd integer, the Microsoft version equals what would be obtained with the usual interpretation, -(x^y).
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 7:12pm »

SWF - The point is that Microsoft products do not have bugs, only features!
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #18 on: Apr 17th, 2004, 9:29am »

It appears that Microsoft is not alone in this curious behavior.

I looked up some documentation on the REXX scripting language for some stuff at work yesterday, and discovered that REXX (which I believe IBM came up with) does the same thing.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
who_cares

Email

« Reply #19 on: Apr 22nd, 2004, 7:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi,
Does times sorting work for anyone in Mic$ excel. I tried putting in dates in the format "01.30 PM", .... "02.00 AM" and instead of making the AM timings after PM it just sorted by numbers like "01.30 PM" comes before "02.00 AM"....

IP Logged
who_cares

Email

« Reply #20 on: Apr 22nd, 2004, 7:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am sorry, I meant ideally, it should put AM timings before PM timings ( I think I should register Sad   )
IP Logged
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Apr 22nd, 2004, 7:53pm »

Excel does know how to sort dates, better than it knows Algebra Wink

Try formatting the cell as a date. Go to cell properties and change it there. That instructs Excel on the cell contents. Right now it probably looks like a literal string, no interpretation.
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #22 on: Apr 23rd, 2004, 4:03pm »

Yes, Excel stores all dates and times as raw numbers giving the number of days since "the epoch" (12 AM Jan 1 1970, GMT if I recall correctly), but if your cells are formatted as text, then Excel does not recognize it as a date, and simply sorting it as a string. If you reformat the cells as dates, it will convert them internally, and sort them numerically.

Also, be sure to check that the cell contents do not start with a " ' ". To do this select a cell and look at what is written in the data entry line, not what is displayed in the cell. Excel interprets a leading single quote as indicating the contents of this cell are a text string, regardless of the cell's formatting. When it displays the contents though, it suppresses the leading single quote. So the only way to tell it is there is in the data entry line. If you have these quotes, you will need to delete them before Excel will convert the times into its internal format.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2004, 7:48pm by Icarus » IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #23 on: Apr 23rd, 2004, 8:01pm »

I think I've figured out why Excel and REXX do this (unary -) before exponentiation bit.

The exponential operator (^ for Excel, ** for REXX) is implemented as an ordinary binary operator. As such, it has the same precedence on both sides. Therefore they had a choice: either unary - takes precedence over exponentiation, so -2^2 = -4, or exponentiation has precedence over unary -, in which case, 2^-2 = -4. Given a choice between only these two possibilities, they did the right thing by making unary - come first. As bad as -2^2 = -4 is, 2^-2 = -4 is worse!

It's still laziness, though. They just need to set up the ability for a binary operator to have different precedence on the left than on the right (so ^ has lesser precedence than unary - on the right, but has greater precedence on the left). Other languages and applications have accomplished it.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #24 on: Apr 30th, 2004, 1:45am »

I can understand that they don't fix it.  They risk breaking thousands of perfectly well-working spreadsheets that accepted that as a feature.  They could be sued for doing that.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »