wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - How much does planet earth weigh? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 6:27pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   microsoft
(Moderators: Eigenray, Icarus, SMQ, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, towr, william wu)
   How much does planet earth weigh?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How much does planet earth weigh?  (Read 8565 times)
hoferman

How much does planet earth weigh?  
« on: Aug 17th, 2005, 7:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am very curious what different methods this community can find to the question: How much does planet earth weigh?  

IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: How much does planet earth weigh?  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 12:02pm »

It doesn't weigh anything, because it's floating in space.
It also doesn't weigh anything because it can't operate scales, nor does it has any need to weigh things for that matter Tongue
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 5:11pm »

I once read an article by Isaac Asimov called "The Man Who Weighed The Earth", about Cavendish. In it, Asimov bemoaned the terminology, saying that it actually should be "The Man Who Massed The Earth", but that popular usage (including his own colloquial descriptions) required the inaccurate title.

How did Cavendish mass the earth? By measuring G, the constant of proportionality in Newton's Law F = GMmr-2. If M is the mass of the Earth, and R is the radius of the Earth, then the acceleration due to gravity on the surface is GMR-2. The acceleration is easily measured and found to be about 9.81 ms-2. R had been determined to significant accuracy by French scientists some time in the 17th or 18th century. So, it had also been known for some time that GM = 3.97x1014 m3s-2.

Cavendish hung a crossbar from a thin metallic thread of known elastic properties, so that he could measure how much torque was being applied to the bar by the angle through which the bar was deflected from its rest position. This allowed him to measure very small forces. On the ends of the bar he placed as massive weights as the supporting thread could handle without risk of deformation, and placed two other large masses on stands very close by, placed to produce maximum torque from the gravitational attraction. By measuring the resultant force, dividing by the product of the masses, and multiplying by the square of the distance between their centers, he was able to calculate G = 6.67x10-11  kg-1m3s-2. (I'm not sure what accuracy he was able to obtain with this original measurement.)

Dividing 3.97x1014/6.67x10-11  gives a mass for Earth of 5.95x1024 kilograms. (A more accurate value is 5.975x1024 kilograms.)
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Eros

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25th, 2005, 10:11pm »

Weight is relative it depends on Gravitational pull that is acting on the object. So a person will have different weight on moon from what he has on earth. Now for us to weigh Earth it should be put under some standard gravitational force.
hidden:
I think i am deviating from the problem.  Lips Sealed
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »