wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - simple question »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 8:33am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   microsoft
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, towr, william wu, Grimbal, SMQ, Icarus, Eigenray)
   simple question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: simple question  (Read 5635 times)
mad

simple question  
« on: Jul 31st, 2007, 1:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Given a rectangular (cuboidal for the puritans) cake with a rectangular piece removed (any size or orientation), how would you cut the remainder of the cake into two equal halves with one straight cut of a knife ?  
IP Logged
Paragon

Re: simple question  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 4th, 2007, 8:20pm »

I can remember another question of this type.
Assuming that the mass is uniformly distributed,the answer was to hang the cuboid with a string ( now all of us know the centre of gravity, from our 7th grade physics course perhaps )
if you extend the line made by the string with which the cuboid is hanged and cut along this line, You can split the cuboid into two equal halfs.

BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM
I dont now how to hang a cake with a string so that it still remains intact   Huh

and I dont think I am right in saying that the mass should be evenly distributed, It doesnt matter perhaps.....
IP Logged
JocK
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Aug 5th, 2007, 5:59am »

on Jul 31st, 2007, 1:50pm, mad wrote:
Given a rectangular (cuboidal for the puritans) cake with a rectangular piece removed (any size or orientation), how would you cut the remainder of the cake into two equal halves with one straight cut of a knife ?  

Piece of cake! Wink If the removal of the piece left the edges of the cake unaffected, I'd simply slice the cake in the normal way...
IP Logged

solving abstract problems is like sex: it may occasionally have some practical use, but that is not why we do it.

xy - y = x5 - y4 - y3 = 20; x>0, y>0.
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 5:02am »

assuming mass is evenly distributed, we can cut the cake in half no matter what. pex has diagrams to show this if he comes along  Roll Eyes (I hope i am correct), but i can do it visually, unless someone can show me a case where i cant.
IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 5:30am »

I think the expected answer is:
Cut along the line that goes through the center of the cake and the center of the hole.  Both halves are exactly half the original cake minus half the hole.  This works with any cake and any hole that has central symetry, assuming the hole doesn't overlap outside of the cake.
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2007, 5:31am by Grimbal » IP Logged
cchris
Senior Riddler

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21st, 2007, 5:10pm »

That, or just cut it into the top and bottom layer. No one said the cake had frosting.
IP Logged

Initiate: My wife ate two hamburgers, initiate a bag of potato chips.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »