wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Chain of subsets »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 5:57pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: Grimbal, SMQ, Eigenray, towr, william wu, Icarus)
   Chain of subsets
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Chain of subsets  (Read 1233 times)
tim

Chain of subsets  
« on: Oct 1st, 2002, 1:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

At first, I thought that of course it must be countable: after all, each link in the chain must add at least one element, and there are only a countable number to add.

Then I started to have second thoughts. For example, if the chain counts up through all the even numbers, then all remaining multiples of three, etc. That would break the simple mapping I had in mind.

Solution:

Finally, I found a counterexample. It was ridiculously contorted at first, being a mapping from [0,1) into sequences of binary digits, which in turn can be broken down into a recursive function of unions of powers of primes.  Then I hit a really simple one:

Every real number has a Dedekind cut, the set of all rationals less than it. These sets of rationals form a chain. Rationals can be bijectively mapped with the positive integers. Therefore an uncountable chain of sets of positive integers exists.

IP Logged
Pietro K.C.

115936899 115936899    

Re: Chain of subsets  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 1st, 2002, 9:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hats off to Tim! Smiley

Really beautiful solution.
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2002, 9:34am by Pietro K.C. » IP Logged

"I always wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked it up in the dictionary under 'L' and there it was --- the meaning of life. It was not what I expected." (Dogbert)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »