wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Inequality: A_(n+1)^(n+1) >= A_n^n * x_(n+1) »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 5:51am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: Grimbal, Eigenray, SMQ, william wu, Icarus, towr)
   Inequality: A_(n+1)^(n+1) >= A_n^n * x_(n+1)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Inequality: A_(n+1)^(n+1) >= A_n^n * x_(n+1)  (Read 938 times)
anonymous

Email

Inequality: A_(n+1)^(n+1) >= A_n^n * x_(n+1)  
« on: Jun 11th, 2003, 5:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Let x1,x2,x3,... be positive real numbers. For positive integer n, denote An=(x1+x2+...+xn)/n.

Use the inequaltiy (a+b)n >= an + nan-1b to prove that
(An+1)n+1 >= (An)n . xn+1

for all positive integer n.

// title modified by William Wu on 3:47 AM 8/31/2003; please use slightly more descriptive titles, thank you
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2003, 3:47am by william wu » IP Logged
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

Re: Inequality: A_(n+1)^(n+1) >= A_n^n * x_(n+1)  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31st, 2003, 3:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

an attempt at the solution: http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/riddles/inequality.pdf
IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

I am no special. I am only passionately curious.

Re: Inequality: A_(n+1)^(n+1) >= A_n^n * x_(n+1)   tex2gif.gif
« Reply #2 on: Sep 6th, 2003, 11:38pm »

Following wu's approach and a bit of modification i arrived at this,

[edit]P.S -> the image looks a bit tarnished.hopefully its readable![/edit]
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2003, 11:42pm by TenaliRaman » IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: Sep 7th, 2003, 1:15pm »

on Sep 6th, 2003, 11:38pm, TenaliRaman wrote:
[edit]P.S -> the image looks a bit tarnished.hopefully its readable![/edit]

Unfortunately, no it is not. Can you recreate it using the new math symbolry?
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Pietro K.C.

115936899 115936899    

« Reply #4 on: Sep 7th, 2003, 1:52pm »

The first thing I tried was Wu's approach, which is the most immediate, given the hint. I got to the same place as him, and also got stuck. But then I noticed that it is IMPOSSIBLE to demonstrate the theorem in this fashion, i.e. applying the hint in just such a manner. I'll try to show why.
[Below, n/n+1 wil denote n/(n+1), which, although correct, clutters the formulas with parentheses]

We both started by noticing that

An+1  =  (n/n+1) An + xn+1/(n+1)

and using the

(1) (a + b)n [ge] an + nan-1b

inequality on it in the obvious way. We both got

(2) An+1n+1  [ge]  (n/n+1)n+1Ann+1 + (n/n+1)nAnn xn+1.  

To use this formula in the demonstratin that

(3) An+1n+1 [ge] Ann xn+1 ,

we would have to show that the right side of (2) is greater than, or equal to, the right side of (3).

But that is just not the case. See, unless b = 0 in (1), the left side is strictly larger than the right; however, there are cases where

An+1n+1 = Ann xn+1  exactly.

For instance, if all the xi are equal to the same positive constant c, then Ai = c for all natural i. Therefore, the needed inequality is false in general, and this particular use of the hint will get us nowhere.

I was able to demonstrate the formula without (1), and it turned out to be pretty simple. Is the requirement of using (1) part of the challenge? My proof is hidden below.

Start by noticing that An+1 is the arithmetic mean of the set { An, ... , An, xn+1 }, where An appears n times. Using the well-known inequality between arithmetic and geometric means, we get

An+1 [ge] (Ann xn+1)1/(n+1), whence

An+1n+1 [ge] Ann xn+1.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2003, 8:54pm by Pietro K.C. » IP Logged

"I always wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked it up in the dictionary under 'L' and there it was --- the meaning of life. It was not what I expected." (Dogbert)
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

I am no special. I am only passionately curious.

Re: Inequality: A_(n+1)^(n+1) >= A_n^n * x_(n+1)   tex2gif.bmp
« Reply #5 on: Sep 8th, 2003, 10:08am »

hmm lemme see,
is this any helpful in proving the inequality??(i tried some way of relating this RHS with the original RHS but haven't found anyway so far.....)
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2003, 10:10am by TenaliRaman » IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
Aryabhatta
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Jun 8th, 2004, 3:46pm »

on Sep 7th, 2003, 1:52pm, Pietro K.C. wrote:

I was able to demonstrate the formula without (1), and it turned out to be pretty simple. Is the requirement of using (1) part of the challenge? My proof is hidden below.

Start by noticing that An+1 is the arithmetic mean of the set { An, ... , An, xn+1 }, where An appears n times. Using the well-known inequality between arithmetic and geometric means, we get

An+1 [ge] (Ann xn+1)1/(n+1), whence

An+1n+1 [ge] Ann xn+1.

I guess the motivation for proving this inequality was to prove that AM [ge] GM, as AM [ge] GM follows immediately from it by induction on n.

We can prove the inequality An+1n+1 [ge] Ann xn+1 under the assumption that x1 [le] x2 [le] ... [le] xn [le] xn+1

If we assume that the xi's are non-decreasing, it follows that An+1 [ge] An. The case when An+1 = An is easy. So assume An+1 > An.  

Let An+1/An = 1 + h. h > 0.

By applying (a+b)[supn] [ge] a[supn] + nan-1b, we get

(An+1/An)n+1 = (1+h)n+1 [ge] 1 + (n+1)h = 1 + (n+1)(An+1/An - 1) = xn+1/An which implies

An+1n+1 [ge] Ann xn+1

This proves AM [ge] GM for arbitrary positive xi's since we can arrange them in nondecreasing order and relabel them as y1 [le] y2 [le] ... [le] yn [le] yn+1. For these yi's we have just shown that AM [ge] GM. This implies AM [ge] GM  for the xi's as (y1,...,yn+1) is just a permutation of (x1,...,xn+1).

Incidentally, once we have proved AM [ge] GM, we can use this to show that(using Pietro's post)
An+1n+1 [ge] Ann xn+1  for any positive xi's i.e. without the restriction that x1 [le] x2 [le] ... [le] xn [le] xn+1

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »