wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Couple of 2003 Questions »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 12:21am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: SMQ, william wu, towr, Eigenray, Grimbal, Icarus)
   Couple of 2003 Questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Couple of 2003 Questions  (Read 647 times)
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

Couple of 2003 Questions  
« on: Dec 7th, 2003, 4:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

1) Do there exist polynomials a(x), b(x), c(y), and d(y) such that
1 + xy + x2y2 [smiley=equiv.gif] a(x)c(y) + b(x)d(y)?

2) Let A, B, C be equidistant points on the circumference of a circle of unit radius centred at O, and let P be any point in the circle's interior. Let a, b, c be the distances from P to A, B, C, respectively. Show that there is a triangle with side lengths a, b, c and that the area of this triangle depends only on the distance from P to O.

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2003, 7:13am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Eigenray
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: Couple of 2003 Questions  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 7th, 2003, 10:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This years problems have already been posted to sci.math.  Extremely simple solutions to all the problems, which make you feel like a moron for not getting them, will also appear shortly.  I always try to avoid reading them until I can solve them myself.

Damn it, I thought B1 was supposed to be easy, to make you feel better after doing so horribly on part A.  I still haven't gotten this one.

For B5, I let the points on the circle be 1, w, w2=w', where w is a primitive cube root of 1 (z' = z-bar), then plugged a=|p-1|, b=|p-w|, c=|p-w'| into Hero's formula, K=sqrt[s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)], which expands to
16K2 = 2(a2b2+a2c2+b2c2)-(a4+b4+c4 ),
and then did about half a page of algebra to get K = (1-|p|2)sqrt(3)/4.  It's not too bad if you make some clever substitutions and keep using that w+w'=-1, ww' = 1

A1 was easy, A2 was neat.  A3 is on this site somewhere, and now I see an infinitely simpler proof than mine already on sci.math.  B2 and B3 aren't very hard, and I haven't really thought much about the others yet.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »