wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Change the Integral »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 17th, 2024, 11:37pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: SMQ, william wu, towr, Eigenray, Icarus, Grimbal)
   Change the Integral
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Change the Integral  (Read 859 times)
Benoit_Mandelbrot

Almost doesn't count.

Change the Integral  
« on: Feb 5th, 2004, 9:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Lets say we have f '(x)=e-x^2, and we want to find f([infty])-f(-[infty]).  The integral looks like this: [int]-[infty][infty](e-x^2)dx.  I'm trying to find the exact value by squaring, then going to double integral, then convert to polar, but I don't exactly know how to convert to polar double integrals.  Could someone show me how this is done for any double integral as well?

n2=[int]-[infty][infty][int]-[infty][infty](e-x^2- y^2)dydx
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2004, 9:50am by Benoit_Mandelbrot » IP Logged

Because of modulo, different bases, and significant digits, all numbers equal each other!
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Change the Integral  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 5th, 2004, 9:43am »

f' is a gaussian curve, I don't think there is a way to find f
but the integral over the whole domain is known..
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 5th, 2004, 10:24am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_function seems to give the final answer, but I'm missing a step..

oh wait.. I get it now.. That extra r comes from the circles you integrate over that of course get larger (dependant on r) as you get further from the origin..
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2004, 10:42am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: Feb 5th, 2004, 8:38pm »

When changing between two sets of coordinates, the area (or volume or hypervolume for higher dimensions) differential is multiplied by the Jacobian of the coordinate transformation.

Here is a link to the MathWorld page on the Jacobian.

A more heuristic but also simpler method is commonly used by physicists: look at a small element, and estimate its area in the local coordinates. For Cartesian coordinates, the element can be a square of side lengths dx and dy. The area is exactly dxdy, and this is what you integrate over. For polar coordinates, the sidelength along the radial direction is dr. The sidelength along the angular direction for a change in angle of d[theta] is rd[theta]. So the differential of area is approximately (dr)(rd[theta]). But the whole point of diffentials is that second-order contributions go away in the limit, and the approximation becomes exact. So the differential of area for polar coordinates is rdrd[theta].

That is: [int]f(x, y) dxdy = [int]f(r,[theta])r drd[theta]. This is the whole point of the "squaring and switching to polar coordinates" approach to integrating e-x^2. By doing it, you pick up the extra r outside the exponent, which allows you to integrate by parts.

Another more mathematical approach - which when developed totally leads to the Jacobian, is to calculate the differentials directly using the multi-variable chain-rule:
df = ([partial]f/[partial]x) dx + ([partial]f/[partial]y) dy

x = r cos [theta], y = r sin [theta]

so

[partial]x/[partial]r = cos [theta],   [partial]x/[partial][theta] = -r sin [theta]
[partial]y/[partial]r = sin [theta],   [partial]y/[partial][theta] = r cos [theta]

dx = cos([theta]) dr - r sin([theta]) d[theta]
dy = sin([theta]) dr + r cos([theta]) d[theta]

Multiplying:

dxdy = cos([theta])sin([theta]) dr2 - r2 cos([theta])sin([theta]) d[theta]2 + r(cos2 [theta] + sin2 [theta]) drd[theta].

Now comes the magic waving of the hands: When integrated, both the dr2 and d[theta]2 terms drop out. Why? A very good question, and one I couldn't answer without delving into the definitions of integration, and some nasty calculations. Since I am far too lazy to do this (besides which you can find it much better presented in textboooks), you will have to take my word for it: any differential squared can be treated as 0.

This leaves only the term r(cos2 [theta] + sin2 [theta]) drd[theta] = r drd[theta].
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Benoit_Mandelbrot

Almost doesn't count.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 6th, 2004, 10:24am »

I got it myself!  It's pi1/2.  This is because the radius is from 0 to [infty], and the angle is from 0 to 2[pi].
IP Logged

Because of modulo, different bases, and significant digits, all numbers equal each other!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »