wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Square Folding Curiosity »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:42am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: towr, Eigenray, william wu, Grimbal, SMQ, Icarus)
   Square Folding Curiosity
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Square Folding Curiosity  (Read 629 times)
Perfection

Square Folding Curiosity  
« on: Mar 13th, 2004, 11:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So today I was just you know, chillin', hangin' out and what-not and I came up with an interesting question

If I were to take a 1x1 piece of paper (negligible depth, infinite flexibility, cannot be ripped) what is the largest distance I can get between 4 points if it is required that they all be equidistant?

So I knew it must somehow reach all vertices of a tetrahedron, and since I knew that two equilaterial triangles sharing two points meet those requirements I realized the largest one that could be made on the paper had the diagonal for altitudes and met at the other one giving me a rhombus with side lengths of sqrt(2/3).  Here's the fun part, is this the true solution or is there some way to make the 4 equistant points farther out with the 1x1 square.
IP Logged
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: Square Folding Curiosity  
« Reply #1 on: May 27th, 2004, 6:04pm »

I think you can have the 4 points at the summit of a tetrahedron with side 1.  It is a little difficult to explain,though.
Make the construction you did, but make the common base of the triangles with length 1.  Fold 90° down along the base, fold up along the sides of the triangles and at the ends of the diagonal.  You should have the 4 corners on a perfect tetrahedron.
IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

Re: Square Folding Curiosity   FoldTetra.GIF
« Reply #2 on: May 31st, 2004, 5:54pm »

In the figure below the paper is white on one side, yellow on the other.
1) Fold along diagonal to make triange
2) Fold back and forth on black line (I did not calculate exact position- might be drawn out of proportion).
3) To get from position in third figure to that in forth figure, you need to open up the paper and flip the portion with D on in inside out.
ut of proportion).
4) Open up until distance from B to C is 1, and if the position of fold in step 2 was correct, D will be distance 1 from A, B, and C.
IP Logged

Perfection

Re: Square Folding Curiosity  
« Reply #3 on: Jun 6th, 2004, 8:40pm »

Okay, now I'm confused.

Would it be possible for one you fine folks post an unfolded versian showing where all the fold lines are?

That would make me very happy!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »