wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Continuity & the derivative »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 4:23am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: Eigenray, Icarus, towr, william wu, SMQ, Grimbal)
   Continuity & the derivative
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Continuity & the derivative  (Read 2512 times)
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

Continuity & the derivative  
« on: Mar 31st, 2004, 6:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Suppose a real-valued function f is differentiable on some neighborhood of a [in] [bbr]. Must df/dx be continuous at a? If not, what restrictions can be placed on the discontinuity?
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Pietro K.C.

115936899 115936899    

Re: Continuity & the derivative  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:16pm »

Is f differentiable at a itself? For example, is the function

f(x) = | x |

being considered here?
IP Logged

"I always wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked it up in the dictionary under 'L' and there it was --- the meaning of life. It was not what I expected." (Dogbert)
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Apr 3rd, 2004, 7:08am »

Neighborhoods of a point include the point itself, so yes, f is differentiable at a.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 5th, 2004, 9:19pm »

f(x) need not be continuous, but it only has a derivative where it is defined. Any discontinuities in f(x) result in similar discontinuities in dy/dx.

For example, if f(x) = |x|, then it has a derivative dy/dx except at x = 0. The derivative will be -1 when x < 0, 1 when x > 0, and not defined at 0.

Am I answering the correct question? This seems a bit basic.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2004, 9:23pm by John_Gaughan » IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
kellys

« Reply #4 on: Apr 5th, 2004, 10:25pm »

on Apr 5th, 2004, 9:19pm, John_Gaughan wrote:
f(x) need not be continuous, but it only has a derivative where it is defined. Any discontinuities in f(x) result in similar discontinuities in dy/dx.

For example, if f(x) = |x|, then it has a derivative dy/dx except at x = 0. The derivative will be -1 when x < 0, 1 when x > 0, and not defined at 0.

Am I answering the correct question? This seems a bit basic.

The question is asking about the continuity of the derivative when f is differentiable.  The absolute value isn't differentiable at x=0.

I'm inclined to answer that the derivative must always be continuous.  By the definition of a limit, f is differentiable at a with derivative f'(a) iff its left and right derivatives exist and agree.  If you write out the limits, you get the definition of continuity for f' at a.
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 6:20am »

This innocently looking question showed me once again how subtle are the concepts of calculus, and how little I know about analysis…  Sad So, I consulted the books that I have in my possession (no textbook on analysis), revealing the following.

Instead of asking the question posted by Icarus, let's consider the question: given a function g(x) on an interval [b, c], what are the conditions that g is integrable on [b, c]? The extensive work of Riemann and Darboux showed that g(x) must satisfy the following conditions:

1. g(x) is bounded on [b, c].

2. The mean value theorem must hold, that is, if f(x) is defined as  [smiley=int.gif]bxg(x)dx, then f(c) – f(b) = g(d)(c-b), where d [in] [b, c].

2. The set of points { g(x) |  x [in] [b, c] } is itself an interval (for continuous function, this property is called an Intermediate Value Theorem).  

3. The set of points where g(x) is discontinuous, has measure zero.

Because Darboux also showed that the fundamental theorem of the calculus - that differentiation and integration are inverse operations - holds also for the "extended case" just described, this also covers Icarus's question.

Does it make any sense? I would appreciate any remarks on incorrect/incomplete statements made. Are any particular examples available?

P.S. After rereading this, I understood that condition 2 doesn't make any sense, so I changed it to what I believe is correct. Sorry for inconvinence…
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2004, 8:43am by Barukh » IP Logged
Pietro K.C.

115936899 115936899    

« Reply #6 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 1:57pm »

Wasn't it Lebesgue who introduced the concept of measure, much later? I think maybe what Riemann/Darboux showed was that the set of points in which g(x) can be discontinuous is denumerable.

Denumerable sets on the real line have measure zero, but I'm not sure whether the converse is true.
IP Logged

"I always wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked it up in the dictionary under 'L' and there it was --- the meaning of life. It was not what I expected." (Dogbert)
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 5:16pm »

on Apr 5th, 2004, 9:19pm, John_Gaughan wrote:

A basic result which should be included in any calculus book (other than baby .. erh.. business calculus) is that if f is differentiable at a, then f must also be continuous at a.

But as kellys pointed out, it is the continuity of f' = df/dx, not f, that I am asking about.

Quote:

This does provide an example of why I ask the question. It certainly seems from this and other examples that when the derivative would be expected to discontinuous (such as here where it jumps from -1 to 1 at 0), it in fact fails to exist at all (|x| is not differentiable at 0).

Is this always true? Or are there examples of functions which are differentiable at 0 and around 0, but the derivative is not continuous at 0?

on Apr 5th, 2004, 10:25pm, kellys wrote:
By the definition of a limit, f is differentiable at a with derivative f'(a) iff its left and right derivatives exist and agree.  If you write out the limits, you get the definition of continuity for f' at a.

Existance of the derivative:

limh[to]0+ (f(a+h) - f(a))/h = limh[to]0+ (f(a-h) - f(a))/h

Continuity of the derivative:

limx[to]a f'(x) = f(a).

I don't see how any restating of these gets one to look like the other.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 5:31pm »

on Apr 6th, 2004, 6:20am, Barukh wrote:
given a function g(x) on an interval [b, c], what are the conditions that g is integrable on [b, c]? The extensive work of Riemann and Darboux showed that g(x) must satisfy the following conditions:

1. g(x) is bounded on [b, c].

2. The mean value theorem must hold, that is, if f(x) is defined as  [smiley=int.gif]bxg(x)dx, then f(c) – f(b) = g(d)(c-b), where d [in] [b, c].

2. The set of points { g(x) |  x [in] [b, c] } is itself an interval (for continuous function, this property is called an Intermediate Value Theorem).  

3. The set of points where g(x) is discontinuous, has measure zero.

This first begs the question, "integrable by which definition?". Since you bring up the idea of measure zero, one might assume Lesbegue, but then none of your claims is true. The function j(x) = 1/x if x is rational, j(x) = 0 if x is irrational, is discontinuous everywhere, is unbounded in any neighborhood of zero and image(j) = {0, 1}. Yet j is Lesbegue Integrable on any interval, and has integral 0.

If we restrict ourselves to Reimann integrability, (2) is still clearly false for any monotone function with an isolated jump discontinuity, yet such functions are easily seen to be Reimann Integrable. Condition (1) is usually a part of the definition of the Reimann integral, but later relaxed with the introduction of improper integrals. Certainly, f(x) = x-2, x [ne]0, f(0) = 0 is usually considered integrable on [0,1].
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
kellys

« Reply #9 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 5:34pm »

I see what you're saying Icarus, I probably should have worked it out before I spoke.

If I were to guess, I would say that if such a function did exist, it would be a fractal.  For example, take the Koch curve and change the rules slightly so that it is a function over the reals.  I remember reading in some intro analysis notes that certain fractal are smooth, but by definition their derivative takes on finitely many values.
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 5:36pm »

on Apr 6th, 2004, 1:57pm, Pietro K.C. wrote:
Wasn't it Lebesgue who introduced the concept of measure, much later? I think maybe what Riemann/Darboux showed was that the set of points in which g(x) can be discontinuous is denumerable.

Denumerable sets on the real line have measure zero, but I'm not sure whether the converse is true.

The converse is not true. The Cantor set is not denumerable, but has measure zero.

I am not sure (my memory is not that strong), but I believe that Barukh is correct about the measure 0 requirement for Riemann integrability. It may even hold true for Lesbegue Integrability with a correction to the statement.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #11 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 5:48pm »

on Apr 6th, 2004, 5:34pm, kellys wrote:
If I were to guess, I would say that if such a function did exist, it would be a fractal.  For example, take the Koch curve and change the rules slightly so that it is a function over the reals.  I remember reading in some intro analysis notes that certain fractal are smooth, but by definition their derivative takes on finitely many values.

I suppose that would depend exactly how you define "fractal". Weierstrass displayed a nowhere-differentiable continuous function nearly 100 years before Mandelbrot invented the term. One might call such functions "fractal" now, but they were well known long before Mandelbrot.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #12 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 1:22am »

Thanks for your comments, Icarus. As I said, I remember too little about calculus to get an intuition what is wrong and what is right… Therefore, what is left, is read the sources (more or less reliable), and take what they offer, if it doesn’t contradict the very basic knowledge. Of course, it doesn’t imply they are correct!

on Apr 6th, 2004, 5:31pm, Icarus wrote:
This first begs the question, "integrable by which definition?".

You got it right: Riemann integral is considered. I learned that Darboux has extended the notion of the Riemann integral by introducing two sums, S and s, which are called the upper and lower integral respectively. The integral is defined if S = s. Then, he showed that for this “extended” case the fundamental theorem of the calculus still holds.  

(BTW, does it hold if Lebesque integral is considered?).

Quote:
If we restrict ourselves to Reimann integrability, (2) is still clearly false for any monotone function with an isolated jump discontinuity, yet such functions are easily seen to be Reimann Integrable. Condition (1) is usually a part of the definition of the Reimann integral, but later relaxed with the introduction of improper integrals. Certainly, f(x) = x-2, x [ne]0, f(0) = 0 is usually considered integrable on [0,1].

The following page actually states my second condition.

IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #13 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 7:54pm »

Yes, I had forgotten about Darboux's theorem. But you are talking here about a slightly different matter than "integrable".

To say that g is (Riemann) integrable on the interval [a, b] simply means that [int]ab g(x)dx exists. This does not mean that g has an antiderivative.  

The Fundamental theorem of calculus says that if g is continuous, then G(x) = [int]ax g(t)dt is differentiable and G' = g.

If g is not continuous, it may still be integrable, but G' [ne] g in general.

Lesbegue integration extends Riemann integration in that some functions that are not Riemann integrable, are Lesbegue integrable. But every Riemann integrable function is also Lesbegue integrable, and the two integrals give the same value. That is, Lesbegue integration only extends Riemann integration - it does not change what was already there.

This means that the Fundamental theorem of Calculus holds just as well for Lesbegue integration as it does for Riemann.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #14 on: Apr 11th, 2004, 10:25am »

While searching the web for the subject, I’ve stumbled over  the Historical Essay On Continuity Of Derivatives by Dave L. Renfro. I found it very interesting. One of the variants is called “Differentiable, Everywhere Oscillating Function”. The most general conditions for the derivative are stated in the first paragraph of the introduction. This – IMHO – answers the Icarus’s question.  

BTW, anybody knows the meaning of the following terms: 1) Baire one function, 2) F_sigma set?

« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2004, 7:41am by Barukh » IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #15 on: Apr 11th, 2004, 1:10pm »

I haven't looked at your link yet, but wanted to answer your other questions.  

An F-Sigma set is a countable union of closed sets. These sets come up occasionally in topology and analysis.

A Baire-1 function is a discontinuous function which is the pointwise limit of a sequence of continuous functions. More generally, Baire-0 functions are continuous functions, and Baire-k functions are functions which are not Baire-(k-1), but are the pointwise limits of sequences of Baire-(k-1) functions. This definition is new to me - I got it from Mathworld.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2004, 1:11pm by Icarus » IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: Apr 11th, 2004, 3:25pm »

That link is interesting, but I had to go look up a lot of terms I'd forgotten over the years, and a few I'd never encountered!

To me, the most intriguing result was the one by Weil:

Let D = {f' | f is differentiable on all [bbr], and f' is bounded}. Then the subset G = { g [in] D | g is not discontinuous almost everywhere} is of the first category under the sup norm on D.

So the answer to my first question is no. And the second appears to have been the subject of much research.

My intent was not so deep, however. Can you provide an explicit example of a function that is differentiable at a point, but the derivative is not continuous there? I had a particular example in mind, but there are of course plenty of others.

Hint: Barukh's last link specifically mentioned "occilatory" functions.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: Apr 15th, 2004, 12:25am »

on Apr 11th, 2004, 3:25pm, Icarus wrote:
Can you provide an explicit example of a function that is differentiable at a point, but the derivative is not continuous there? I had a particular example in mind, but there are of course plenty of others.

The example I've found in literature is as follows: define F(x) = x2sin(1/x) if x [ne] 0; F(x) = 0 if x = 0. This function has a derivative = 0 at x = 0, but in every interval (0, [epsilon]) F’(x) takes on all the values in [-1, 1].

Quote:
My intent was not so deep, however.

I have photocopied the paper where a “simple” construction of “everywhere differentiable, nowhere monotone, function” is presented. Will see if I can manage to understand this one…
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »