wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - perpendicular vectors..URgeNT »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 10:24am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: Grimbal, Icarus, SMQ, william wu, Eigenray, towr)
   perpendicular vectors..URgeNT
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: perpendicular vectors..URgeNT  (Read 1985 times)
Deepesh Baburajan

Email

perpendicular vectors..URgeNT  
« on: May 3rd, 2004, 3:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Find all vectors that are perpendicular to both u1 = (1,1,4,3) and  
u2 = (1,0,1,3)

b) verify that the set W of all the vectors 'w'found in (a) is a subspace of R4

i would have thought that the first part,there are infinite vectors that are perpendicular...

basically, to find it... i would find u1.b and then u2.b wher b is  
(a,b,c,d)

u1.b = (1a+1b+4c+3d) and
u2.b = (1a+1c+3d)

the i would have to equations

1a + 1b + 4c + d = 0
1a + 1c + 3d = 0

from here, i would use iteration to find the solutions... But the above equation means that there are infintely many solutions... is there a GENERAL equation that i could find perhaps? and wat does part b ask exactLY?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: perpendicular vectors..URgeNT  
« Reply #1 on: May 3rd, 2004, 4:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think b) asks to show that you don't simply get incidental points in vectorspace, but a subspace (for instance a hypercube, or hypersphere of some other shape). Since the vectors are 4 dimensional, and you're looking for a perpendicular vector to just two of them you can within certain limits vary the coordinates in a continuous way and still have perpendicular vectors.

I suppose you can first find a vector v perpendicular to u1 and u2, and then a vector w perpendicular to v,u1 and u2. Any linear combination of v and w is then perpendicular to u1 and u2 as well (so effectively you have a 2D plane in [bbr]4 full of perpendicular vectors)
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2004, 4:51am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #2 on: May 4th, 2004, 6:25pm »

Part 1 is asking you to find the SET of all solutions, and yes, the set is infinite. It is, as towr indicates, a plane in [bbr]4. Being a plane, your answer will need to look like this:  
{(Ar+Bs, Cr+Ds, Er+Fs, Gr+Hs) | r, s [in] [bbr]} for some constants A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H.  Every value of r & s will provide you with a vector orthogonal to your original 2.

Part B is asking you to prove that this set (call it W) is a subspace of [bbr]4. If you do not know what a subspace is by now, I am very curious what course it is you are taking? Surely they have defined this term before giving you this problem?

A subset of [bbr]n is a "subspace" if it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication: For all x, y [in] W and c [in] [bbr], x + y and cx are both in W. When this holds, W is a vector space itself. What you need to show in (b) is that these two things hold true.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: May 4th, 2004, 6:29pm »

on May 3rd, 2004, 4:37am, towr wrote:
I think b) asks to show that you don't simply get incidental points in vectorspace, but a subspace (for instance a hypercube, or hypersphere of some other shape).

No. By subspace, they are refering to a sub vector space. Not a hypercube or hypersphere. It will be a line or plane or 3-space that passes through the origin. But how you show it is exactly what I said in the other post: show that the solution set is closed under addition and scalar multiplication.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Deepesh Baburajan

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 4th, 2004, 8:02pm »

on May 4th, 2004, 6:25pm, Icarus wrote:
Part 1 is asking you to find the SET of all solutions, and yes, the set is infinite. It is, as towr indicates, a plane in [bbr]4. Being a plane, your answer will need to look like this:  
{(Ar+Bs, Cr+Ds, Er+Fs, Gr+Hs) | r, s [in] [bbr]} for some constants A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H.  Every value of r & s will provide you with a vector orthogonal to your original 2.

ok, so it is infinite as i thought... But how do i find Ar+Bs, Cr+Ds, Er+Fs, Gr+Hs)   how do i find these values?

was my previous approach of dot product,folowd by solving a system of equations correct? this is an extension question, for bonus marks... So i've  had to learn most of this myself using text books etc. i had to learn the dot product, and subspaces etc.

so if you could kindly explain it in a layman manner, it owuld be greatly appreciated...

thanku
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: May 5th, 2004, 1:34am »

You're pretty much on the right way
on May 3rd, 2004, 3:46am, Deepesh Baburajan wrote:
1a + 1b + 4c + 3d = 0
1a + 1c + 3d = 0

1a + 1b + 4c + 3d - (1a + 1c + 3d) = 0 - 0
1b + 3c = 0
b=-3c

1a + 1c + 3d = 0
a = -c - 3d
so we get:  
(-c-3d, -3c, c, d) = c*(-1, -3, 1, 0) + d*(-3, 0, 0, 1)
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2004, 1:48am by towr » IP Logged

Deepesh baburajan

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 5th, 2004, 5:47am »

thanx, but i think i need more help on part 2... how exactly do i prove that it's a subspace? and watever else i need to prove?
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: May 5th, 2004, 6:25am »

Icarus already said how you can prove it's a subspace, it must be closed under addition and multiplication by a scalar

We have  
W = {c*(-1, -3, 1, 0) + d*(-3, 0, 0, 1)  | c [in] [bbr] [wedge] d [in] [bbr]}  
And what you now have to prove is
[forall]u,v [in] W: u+v [in] W
and
[forall]u [in] W,s [in] [bbr]: s*u [in] W
which should follow easily enough from the description of W
(note: u [in] W [equiv] [exists]c,d[in][bbr]: u=c*(-1, -3, 1, 0) + d*(-3, 0, 0, 1)  )

The only thing I'm not sure about is the 0-vector, personally I wouldn't want it in W as it's not really perpendicular to anything, but for closure under addition it should be in W.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2004, 6:26am by towr » IP Logged

Deepesh baburajan

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 5th, 2004, 6:57am »

sorry,wat do those weird symbols mean? i know i have to prove that it's a subspace, it must be closed under addition and multiplication by a scalar...but i don't get HOW  i prove it,from the defintion of W

as i mentioned before, this is an extension,so i haven't learnt it
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: May 5th, 2004, 8:01am »

[bbr] is the set of real numbers

[in] means 'in', or 'is an element of'
i.e. a [in] [bbr] means a is an element from the set of real numbers

S = { expression | condition }  means
S is the set of all values of the expression for which the condition holds true
i.e C(r) = { (a,b) | a2+b2=r2 ] is the set C(r) of all points on a cirkel with radius r
( C(1) would be the set of all points on a cirkel with radius 1, C(2) the points with radius 2 etc )
If it's not specified it's generally assumed the numbers (in this case a,b and r) are from [bbr]

[exists] means 'exists'
i.e. [exists]a[in][bbr]: a > 0   means there exists a number a in the set of real number for which it is true that a is greater than 0

[forall] means 'for all'
i.e. [forall]a[in][bbr]: [exists]b[in][bbr]: b > a   means for all real numbers a there exists a real number b which is larger than a.

[bbr] is a good example of a set that is closed under addition and multiplication.
The addition of any two real numbers is itself a real number, and the multiplication of two real numbers is also always a real number.
The thing you need for your proof is the fact that any vector in W is determined uniquely by the two real numbers c and d. And then you can use the fact that [bbr] is a vector space.

Alternatively, you can show that there's a linear transformation (for example using a matrix) from S={(c,d) | c,d[in][bbr]} = [bbr]2 to W. Since S is a vector space W must be one as well (because for any linear transformation T, T(a+b) = T(a) + T(b) and T(s*a) = s*T(a) ).  

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2004, 8:27am by towr » IP Logged

Deepesh Baburajan

Email

« Reply #10 on: May 6th, 2004, 7:01am »

thanku guys soo much for ur helP!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »