wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Power Series »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 11:39pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: Grimbal, Icarus, Eigenray, towr, SMQ, william wu)
   Power Series
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Power Series  (Read 652 times)
Braincramps

Power Series  
« on: May 16th, 2004, 2:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Suppose f(r)= [smiley=csigma.gif][smiley=infty.gif] n=1anrn has (-1,1) as its interval of convergence (f may or may not converge at endpoints) and f(r) has a finite limit as r [smiley=longrightarrow.gif]1-. Let N(r) be a positive integer-valued function such that N(r)[smiley=longrightarrow.gif][smiley=infty.gif] as r[smiley=longrightarrow.gif]1-. Does  [smiley=csigma.gif][smiley=infty.gif]n=N(r) anrn have a finite limit as r[smiley=longrightarrow.gif]1-?
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

Re: Power Series  
« Reply #1 on: May 16th, 2004, 9:17am »

I just wanted to clarify:  

Is it the case, that when n runs through all the possible values of N(r), r also runs through the whole convergence interval, so that the last series is no longer a power series?

Also, it seems that N(r) will take the same value more than once (in fact, infinitely often) - what terms of the series are taken then?

Roll Eyes
IP Logged
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

I am no special. I am only passionately curious.

« Reply #2 on: May 16th, 2004, 9:34am »

My initial thoughts :
sum(n=N(r) to inf)anrn
= sum(n=0 to inf)anrn - sum(n=0 to N(r))anrn ... (*)

Now i know that convergence is not affected in a power series as long as we remove finite number of terms from the start of the power series. So as long as N(r) is finite , the * converges.  

now that i read Barukhs post, i am forced to make some more thinking over it , whether or not taking limit r->1- on (*) would be proper since N(r) isn't continuous (Huh)
IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
Braincramps

« Reply #3 on: May 16th, 2004, 10:28am »

on May 16th, 2004, 9:17am, Barukh wrote:
Is it the case, that when n runs through all the possible values of N(r), r also runs through the whole convergence interval, so that the last series is no longer a power series?

r doesn`t vary as n varies - but the number of terms of the series vary as r varies.  As an example we could take N(r), the lower limit of the sum at r, to be an increasing step function satisfying 1/ [smiley=surd.gif](1-r) < N(r) < 1/(1-r).
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2004, 10:38am by Braincramps » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »