wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - vectors »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 9:37am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: towr, SMQ, william wu, Eigenray, Grimbal, Icarus)
   vectors
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: vectors  (Read 429 times)
svs14

Email

vectors   Assignment2.pdf
« on: Sep 18th, 2004, 9:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi. im kinda stuck on the first question on the attached file. ive asked around and most people say it doesnt make sense but im not sure myself. if someone can give me a direct answer or ways to do it ill be grateful.thanks.
IP Logged
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

Re: vectors  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19th, 2004, 4:07am »

As it is your assignment, it wouldn't help to have a direct answer to all of it, but I can get your started on each part...

(a) The vector BC=-b+0.5a, so s(-b+0.5a) will be some vector in the direction of BC
So the equation of the line through BC, r1=b+s(-b+0.5a); that is, every position of a point on this line can be found by travelling from O to B, then some distance in the direction of BC, determined by the parameter, s.
(b) Now do the same thing for the line through AE to get an equation r2, with parameter, t.
(c) If Q lies on both lines, there must be some value for s and t to make r1=r2. However, as a and b are in different directions, no amount of scalar multiplication will make a=b, so separate the components.
Write the coefficients of a on LHS = coefficients of a on RHS.
Do the same for b and solve simultaneously to find s and t.
(d) Now you can find OQ. Show that OQ is parallel to OD.
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
svs14

Email

Re: vectors  
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19th, 2004, 5:34pm »

thanks that worked for me
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »