wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Sampling Theorem Argument »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 7:41am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: william wu, Grimbal, Icarus, SMQ, Eigenray, towr)
   Sampling Theorem Argument
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sampling Theorem Argument  (Read 567 times)
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

Sampling Theorem Argument  
« on: Oct 24th, 2004, 5:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

(Some exposure to sampling theory required)

A well known and amazing result from sampling theory is that if you periodically sample a continuous time bandlimited signal at a rate greater than twice the bandwidth, you can reconstruct the original signal perfectly using a sinc interpolator. This is the "nyquist-shannon sampling theorem" in a nutshell.

Now suppose you are given a continuous time bandlimited signal that is also periodic.  

Mr Jones: From the sampling theorem, if I wish to reconstruct the signal perfectly from its samples, I should take an infinite number of samples, at a rate greater than twice the bandlimit.  

Mr Smith: Since the signal is periodic, I should be able to take only a finite number of samples to do the reconstruction.

Help Mr. Jones and Mr. Smith reconcile their differences. Who is right? Who is wrong?

Source: Brad Osgood
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2004, 5:21pm by william wu » IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Sampling Theorem Argument  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 1:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

::If the sampling period divided by the period of the signal is a rational number, then a finite number of samples should be enough, because after a while the sequence just repeats.
I'm not sure about the other case, certainly in practise you won't need to bother with an infinite number of samples (you'd be dead long before you have them anyway) and while the sample-sequence may not be period, it should be quasiperiodic.
::
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »