wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Logarithmic Graph Paper »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 9:13am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: SMQ, Eigenray, william wu, towr, Grimbal, Icarus)
   Logarithmic Graph Paper
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Logarithmic Graph Paper  (Read 553 times)
Foolish

Email

Logarithmic Graph Paper  
« on: Dec 1st, 2004, 11:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was thinking earlier today about graphing things on logarithmic paper and semi-logarithmic paper.

Say you graphed a circle, radius r on a sheet of standard 1:1 graph paper, then transcribed it onto semi-log paper, what would the area and circumference become?  How about on true logarithmic paper?  And then, a sphere in log space (volume and surface area)?

This is perhaps too easy a problem for this forum, but I thought that it was too mathy for the easy or medium sections.

Another thought, what would the shape of the transcribed circles become if they were drawn back onto the 1:1 paper?
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:18pm by Foolish » IP Logged
Aryabhatta
Uberpuzzler

Re: Logarithmic Graph Paper  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 1st, 2004, 10:47pm »

On a log paper, if we want to plot the function f(x) do we actually plot ln(f(x)) where ln is the natural logarithm ?

Assuming that we want to log-plot the quadrant sqrt(1-x2) for the area we are looking for the definite integral:

0[int]1 ln[sqrt](1-x2) dx

The substitution x = sin[theta] and using integration by parts seems to do the trick, but we might have problems as ln[sqrt](1-x2) is unbounded in the interval [0,1) (I haven't actually tried to find the value).

I am not sure if that was your intent.. or I understood you correctly.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2004, 10:48pm by Aryabhatta » IP Logged
Foolish

Email

Re: Logarithmic Graph Paper  
« Reply #2 on: Dec 1st, 2004, 10:59pm »

I will try to clarify what I mean:

-regular graph paper's grid has consistent hash lines of 1 unit each, for both the x and y axis.
-semi-log graph paper has regular hash markings for the x axis, but the y axis has 1, 10, 100, 1000...
-full log paper has the 1, 10, 100, 1000... for both x and y axis

basically, we are just changing the values of the lines on the graph paper, without changing how we draw the shape.

I will make some images if that would be more helpful...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »