wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Prime Ideals »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 11:07am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: Icarus, william wu, Grimbal, towr, Eigenray, SMQ)
   Prime Ideals
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Prime Ideals  (Read 305 times)
Ben

Email

Prime Ideals  
« on: Dec 12th, 2004, 4:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey.. I have a proof that I can't figure out.  I think it's simple, so I'm sure you guys can get it.  

In F[x] (a field of polynomials), prove all prime ideals are maximal.

Thanks for any help,
Ben
IP Logged
Obob
Senior Riddler

Re: Prime Ideals  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 1:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Recall that F[x] is a PID.  So if I is any ideal, there is a polynomial p for which I=(p).  Suppose I is prime.  Then it has the property that if the product ab of two polynomials a and b lies in I, then either a or b is in I.  Suppose that p is reducible over F, so that p=ab for some polynomials a and b both of positive degree.  Since I is prime, this implies that either a or b is in I.  But this is impossible, since I, being generated by p, consists entirely of polynomials with degree at least deg p.  Therefore p is an irreducible polynomial over F.

We claim that if p is irreducible over F then the ideal (p) is maximal.  For suppose that there is an ideal J=(q) such that 0[subset] (p) [subset] (q) [subset] F[x], where all inclusions are strict.  Since p is in J and since J is generated by q, this implies that there is a polynomial c for which p=qc.  But p is irreducible over F, so this implies that deg q = deg p and therefore that c is a constant.  Therefore q=p/c is in (p), and the ideals I and J must be equal as they each contain the generators of each other.  This is a contradiction, so (p) is maximal.

Thus we have shown that every prime ideal is generated by an irreducible polynomial and that every ideal generated by an irreducible polynomial is maximal.  Hence we are done.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »