wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Palindromic Prime with an even number of digits »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 5:00pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: Grimbal, william wu, SMQ, towr, Eigenray, Icarus)
   Palindromic Prime with an even number of digits
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Palindromic Prime with an even number of digits  (Read 2140 times)
mfirmata

Don't read this

Palindromic Prime with an even number of digits  
« on: Mar 15th, 2005, 2:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In a Clifford Pickover tear-a-day he asks, "What is the only palindromic prime number with an even number of digits?"

His answer is 11.  11 is certainly an example of a palindromic prime with an even number of digits, but how can he be sure it's the only one? What if there exists a prime number with, say, 100 billion and 2 digits in it that is also palindromic.  Is there a proof for what he states?

At best, I'm a recreational mathematician, so this type of thing is out of league (not understanding a proof, just attempting one.)

I tried to e-mail Clifford Pickover (I've found other problems he posed whose answers were either wrong or else the problem was poorly stated) and it bounced back. I guess the story could be that he simply didn't apend, "under 1,000" to his question or something careless like that.  

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. Thanks
IP Logged
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: Palindromic Prime with an even number of digit  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 2:52pm »

I think it is true.

11 is a multiple of 11,
1001 is a multiple of 11,
100001 is a multiple of 11,
etc.
So, for instance, 314159951413 is a multiple of 11
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 5:35pm »

Grimbal is correct. (xn + 1) = (x + 1)(xn-1 - xn-2 + ... - x + 1) when n is odd. In particular, when x =10 we get that 11 divides 10n + 1 for all odd n.

Since even digit palindromic numbers are all of the form [sum] ai(102i-1 + 1), where the ai are the digits of the palindrome, they are all divisible by 11.

So the only one that can be prime is 11 itself.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
markr

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 9:58pm »

A test for divisibility by 11 is to add the digits of a number (alternating the sign of each digit as you go).  If the result is a multiple of 11, then so is the original number.  In a palindrome of even length, the sum would be zero.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »