wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - natural logarithms and translations »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 10:27am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: william wu, Eigenray, Icarus, Grimbal, SMQ, towr)
   natural logarithms and translations
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: natural logarithms and translations  (Read 1692 times)
Sjoerd Job Postmus

natural logarithms and translations  
« on: Apr 3rd, 2005, 5:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I hope this is the right topic. It's a purely mathematical question, so putnam seemed the right topic.
---Question:---
Ok, a few days ago, I was taking a test in Maths.

I found the following question (in my native language though).

You have formula f(x) = x ln x
When you multiply by 1/2 in regards to the y axle, you get formula g(x). This way, I believe we would get g(x) = 2x ln 2x

Now, according to the test, I could also write g(x) as a translation (a,b) of f(x).

g(x) = ((x-a) ln (x-a)) + b

Now I need to find the values a and b.

I couldn't answer it myself, and now I believe it is impossible. By the way, don't worry about me getting the answer from you and in turn solving it in time to get a higher mark for the test. That's not possible.
In contrast, if it can not be done, my mark would rise, as well as the marks of the other members of my class: If the teacher asks something that can not be done (with our current set of expertise), it's a false question and doesn't get counted anymore in the numbering.

Could you please tell me if it's possible or not, and if so, how you arrived to the answer.

Thank you in advance,
Sjoerd Job.
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

Re: natural logarithms and translations  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2005, 6:41am »

Sjoerd,

on Apr 3rd, 2005, 5:02am, Sjoerd Job Postmus wrote:

When you multiply by 1/2 in regards to the y axle, you get formula g(x). This way, I believe we would get g(x) = 2x ln 2x

I don't understand this. Doesn't your first statement mean that g(x) = 1/2 f(x) ?
IP Logged
Sjoerd Job Postmus

« Reply #2 on: Apr 3rd, 2005, 6:53am »

on Apr 3rd, 2005, 6:41am, Barukh wrote:
Sjoerd,

I don't understand this. Doesn't your first statement mean that g(x) = 1/2 f(x) ?

No... that would be multiplication of .5 in regards to the x-axle. I talked about a multiplication of .5 in regards to the y-axle. For the line

y=x
You would get
.5y = x
y = 2x

So when multiplying in regards to the y-axle with a constant 'c', every 'x' gets replaced with 'x/c'...

Hope that helps a bit...
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 3rd, 2005, 7:40am »

I don't think so..

given y = f(x)
If you scale the y-axis by a factor A, then everything on the right hand side get's multiplied by A.
Or y= A*f(X)
Take f.i. y=2 if you want to shrink the y-axis by half, you want to get y=1 (which is 0.5*1)

If you scale the x-axis by B, the every occurence of x on the right hand side becomes (x/B)
Or y = f(x/B)
Take f.i. y=0 if x =/= 2 and y=1 if x==2
then if you scale the x by 1/2
you want to get  y=0 if x =/= 1 and y=1 if x==1

In any case, a vector translation won't ever scale either axis. (Except when y or x are constant)
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Sjoerd Job Postmus

« Reply #4 on: Apr 3rd, 2005, 7:58am »

What I mean in correspondance to 'multiplying in regards to the y-axle with c' is that if you have a line, every dot is c times as far from the y-axle as before.

take line "blue", for instance. Now I multiply in regards to the y-axle, with result line "red". (At least, that's what I've learned at school...)
---
In this case, we have f: y = x ln x
Multiply by .5
y = x ln x
y = 2x * ln 2x (this is what school taught me...)
When plotting on a graphical calculator, it seems that if I draw a line x = c ( constant, horizontal line ), and I label intersection f(x) with x=c 'A', and intersection with g(x) 'B', it seems that d(y=0,A) = 2d(y=0,B), which is what I want...

So the formula 2x ln 2x is correct = from what I know... But, I need to write it as (x+a) ln (x+a) + b (normal order of operators)...
That would be equiv to moving f(x) a to the left, and b upwards ( negative a, means abs(a) to the right, and negative b means abs(b) downwards, ofcourse )...
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #5 on: Apr 3rd, 2005, 8:46am »

on Apr 3rd, 2005, 7:58am, Sjoerd Job Postmus wrote:
What I mean in correspondance to 'multiplying in regards to the y-axle with c' is that if you have a line, every dot is c times as far from the y-axle as before.
Ah, ok.. then it makes sense..

I suppose you could hack it, and take translation (x,0)
so  (x+a) ln (x+a) + b =  (x+x) ln (x+x) + 0 =  2x ln (2x)
(But that really isn't an translation)

If you only had y=ln x, then it wouldn't be hard
ln 2x = ln x + ln 2
So (0, ln 2) would do it (contradicting the last line of my last post; but we all make mistakes sometimes). But with x ln x I'm pretty sure it's impossible.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Sjoerd Job Postmus

« Reply #6 on: Apr 3rd, 2005, 8:53am »

on Apr 3rd, 2005, 8:46am, towr wrote:

Ah, ok.. then it makes sense..

I suppose you could hack it, and take translation (x,0)
so  (x+a) ln (x+a) + b =  (x+x) ln (x+x) + 0 =  2x ln (2x)
(But that really isn't an translation)

If you only had y=ln x, then it wouldn't be hard
ln 2x = ln x + ln 2
So (0, ln 2) would do it (contradicting the last line of my last post; but we all make mistakes sometimes). But with x ln x I'm pretty sure it's impossible.

Yeah, with ln 2x, it wouldn't be too hard... but, I'm pretty sure that with x ln x => 2x ln 2x, it isn't...

Hope my teacher (5Havo NT(dutch system) ~ secondary school, targetted at Nature & Technology specific studies... before Calculus, I think...) can't solve it either, so I get higher mark!
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Apr 3rd, 2005, 9:15am »

Sjoerd, you mentioned pre-Calculus, so using derivatives is not permitted probably, but let's try.

If g(x) = 2x ln(2x), h(x) = (x+a) ln(x+a) + b, then g(x) = h(x) implies all derivatives are also equal; so let us take the second derivative:

g''(x) = 2/x, h''(x) = 1/(x+a),

and g''(x) = h''(x) is not satisfied by any constant a.
IP Logged
Sjoerd Job Postmus

« Reply #8 on: Apr 3rd, 2005, 9:30am »

on Apr 3rd, 2005, 9:15am, Barukh wrote:
Sjoerd, you mentioned pre-Calculus, so using derivatives is not permitted probably, but let's try.

If g(x) = 2x ln(2x), h(x) = (x+a) ln(x+a) + b, then g(x) = h(x) implies all derivatives are also equal; so let us take the second derivative:

g''(x) = 2/x, h''(x) = 1/(x+a),

and g''(x) = h''(x) is not satisfied by any constant a.

Wasn't sure if derivaties was calculus already... so perhaps I have had some basic calculus. We do know derivs.

g(x) = 2x ln 2x and h(x) = (x+a) ln (x+a) + b

g'(x) = 2 ln 2x + 2x / x ( I think ) = 2 ln 2x + 2
g''(x) = [2 ln 2x + 2]' = [2 ln 2x]' = 2/x

g''(x) = h''(x) = 2/x = 1/(x+a) impossible...

Good to hear it's impossible after all...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »