wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Connected??? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 10:27pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: Icarus, SMQ, towr, Eigenray, william wu, Grimbal)
   Connected???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Connected???  (Read 615 times)
desi

Connected???  
« on: Feb 9th, 2006, 2:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is the set of all n x n matrices of rank n-1 connected, assuming it to be a subset of R^n^2 with the usual metric
IP Logged
Eigenray
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: Connected???  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 9th, 2006, 5:59pm »

Sure.  Consider the operation of adding c times row j to row i:
A' := (I + c Ei,j)*A,
where Ei,j has just a 1 in position (i,j).  For t in [0,1],
f(t)=(I + ct Ei,j)*A
gives a rank-preserving continuous path from A to A'.  Thus any operation of this type keeps you within the same connected component of the set of matrices of a given rank.

Now, if A has rank r < n, then its rows are not linearly independent, so we can make one row 0 by adding a linear combination of the others.  Similarly we can also make one column 0.  By using the following operations on a pair of rows/columns:
(0, x) -> (x, x) -> (x, 0),
we may assume the last row and column are both 0.  But now we can do any elementary row/column operation on the upper-left (n-1) x (n-1) minor.  For
(x, y, 0) -> (0, y, x) -> (y, 0, x) -> (y, x, 0)
shows we can swap two rows, and we can scale a row by a non-zero c with
(x, 0) -> (x, x) -> (cx, x) -> (cx, 0).
Thus we can get any A into the form
[ Ir  O ]
[ O  O ],
and it follows that the set of matrices of a given rank r < n is connected.

The set of matrices of rank n, however, has precisely two connected components: those with det=1, and those with det=-1.
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 4:35am »

<smart ass remark>
it's det>0 and det<0
</smart ass remark>
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 3:59pm »

on Feb 9th, 2006, 5:59pm, Eigenray wrote:
...we may assume the last row and column are both 0.

I'm with you up to here, but after that I can't agree. That (n-1) x (n-1) minor must be invertible, since the rank of the original was matrix was n-1. Some of those minors are going to have positive determinant, and some will have negative determinant. And you cannot transform one to the other by the means you have described without passing through matrices of lower rank.

I am convinced the set has two components. It is, I believe, homeomorphic to Pn-1 x GL(n-1, R), where Pk is k-dimensional projective space, and GL(k, R) is the k-th general linear group over the field R (i.e., the set of invertible linear transformations from Rk to Rk). Pk is itself the continuous image of the k-dimensional sphere Sk under antipodal identification, and so is connected. GL(k, R) has 2 components for all k. Hence the set of nxn matrices of rank n-1 has two components as well.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 5:34pm »

on Feb 10th, 2006, 3:59pm, Icarus wrote:
Some of those minors are going to have positive determinant, and some will have negative determinant. And you cannot transform one to the other by the means you have described without passing through matrices of lower rank.

Why not?  Example:
 [ 1 0 ] -> [ 1 0 ] -> [-1 0 ] -> [-1 0 ] 
[ 0 0 ]    [ 1 0 ]    [ 1 0 ]    [ 0 0 ].
The extra 0 row is used as a temporary variable to make sure no rank is lost when scaling/swapping.

Quote:
I am convinced the set has two components. It is, I believe, homeomorphic to Pn-1 x GL(n-1, R)

This can't be right: it has dimension (n-1)+(n-1)2 = n(n-1), while the set of n x n matrices of rank r is a submanifold of Rn^2 of dimension n2-(n-r)2.  For, if A is in GLr, then the matrix in block form
[ A B ]
[ C D ]
has rank r iff the (n-r)x(n-r) matrix D = C A-1 B (right-multiply by
[ I  -A-1B ]
[ O  I ]),
and this can be used to define submanifold charts near each matrix of rank r.
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 8:12pm »

Found the mistake in my reasoning.  

My thought was that if A is of rank k, then A induces a linear map A' on the k dimensional space Rn/ker(A). This map has a determinant d(A') which depends continuously on A.

My mistake was to believe that A' was necessarily 1-1, since the kernal of A was modded out. But this is only the case if A is not nil-potent. If AN = O for some N, then A' will not be invertible.

For example, the matrix
[ 0  0 ] = A
[ 1  0 ]
induces A' : R --> R : x -> 0.

So even though I do get a continuous map A --> d(A') into R, it is not into R*, as I had originally thought.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »