wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Group with many trivially intersecting subgroups »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:14pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: Icarus, william wu, towr, SMQ, Grimbal, Eigenray)
   Group with many trivially intersecting subgroups
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Group with many trivially intersecting subgroups  (Read 2125 times)
ecoist
Senior Riddler

Group with many trivially intersecting subgroups  
« on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 2:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Determine all groups G of order n2 containing n+1 subroups of order n, any two of which intersect in the identity of G.
IP Logged
Michael Dagg
Senior Riddler

Re: Group with many trivially intersecting subgrou  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 4th, 2006, 1:28pm »

I guess that the only examples are vector spaces of even dimension over the finite fields F_p.  

These are indeed of the form required: if |G| = p^(2n), view G as the cartesian product
H x H of two copies of the additive group of the field H of p^n elements. Then there  
is the subgroup { ( 0, h ) ; h in  H } and the subgroups { (h, k h ) ; h in H } for each  
fixed k in the field  H.

One might think that more general groups G = H x H would apply, but I don't know  
what other possibilities exist for H besides cyclic simple groups.  The problem would  
be to enumerate all the subgroups of order |H|. Among them are: the group { 1 } x H, and  
all the groups { (x, phi(x)) ; x in H } for each endomorphism phi of H. However, in order  
for these to be disjoint, we would have to choose the phi's so that  

phi(x) = phi'(x)  ==>  ( phi=phi' or  x = 1 ).  

In particular, for every two non-identity elements x and y there have to be endomorphisms  
carrying x to y. That means that all these elements have to have the same order, so H is a  
p-group (of exponent p). But every endomorphism of a p-group carries the Frattini subgroup  
back to within itself, so there would be no such phi if x is in the Frattini subgroup but not y.  
This this means the Frattini group is trivial, i.e.  H  is an elementary-abelian p-group. As I  
showed in the previous paragraph, for such an H, G = H x H always meets the condition for  
some selection of subgroups of order |H|.

So it looks like "group squares"  H x H only work with H is elementary abelian. However,
I do not claim that my list of all subgroups of order |H| in H x H is complete; it could  
be that there are others, and maybe including those others in the list of subgroups of order|H|
would allow you to find |H|+1 of these subgroups which are disjoint.

At this moment I can only guess that the condition implies that G has to be a square H x H in
the first place. It's a sort of unusual condition.  

How did this problem arise?
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2006, 1:39pm by Michael Dagg » IP Logged

Regards,
Michael Dagg
ecoist
Senior Riddler

« Reply #2 on: Mar 4th, 2006, 1:48pm »

Quote:
How did this problem arise?

I was trying to use group theory to construct orthogonal latin squares.  The existence of such a group insures the existence of a complete set of mutually orthogonal latin squares of order n, or equivalently, the existence of a projective plane of order n.

As your analysis suggests, this group theory approach yields nothing new on mutually orthogonal latin squares.
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2006, 1:51pm by ecoist » IP Logged
Michael Dagg
Senior Riddler

« Reply #3 on: Mar 7th, 2006, 4:29pm »

That explains why G has to be square.  

If this had been posted as a latin squares problem I would have likely not bitten.

If you know group theory, you can take my previous remarks and compose a construction.
IP Logged

Regards,
Michael Dagg
ecoist
Senior Riddler

« Reply #4 on: Mar 7th, 2006, 5:20pm »

Quote:
If you know group theory, you can take my previous remarks and compose a construction.

One solver used his knowledge of geometry to partially solve the problem, but no knowledge of combinatorics or geometry is needed to solve this problem completely.

You know group theory apparently, so why not complete your analysis?  Or do you expect your solution to be too long to bother with?  I hope you reconsider posting a proof.  I enjoy seeing proofs different from mine.
IP Logged
Michael Dagg
Senior Riddler

« Reply #5 on: Mar 8th, 2006, 2:55pm »

This is likely more useful than anything else I can offer:

MR1829097 (2002g:05036)
   Colbourn, Charles J.(1-VT-C); Dinitz, Jeffrey H.(1-VT-C)
   Mutually orthogonal Latin squares: a brief survey of constructions.
   (English. English summary)
   ÿÿÿðE-ñw7Ç`
IP Logged

Regards,
Michael Dagg

Email

<ÿÿàÿÿü  
« Reply #6 on: »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

IP Logged

Email

&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;€&#65533;&  
« Reply #7 on: »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This post was corrupted, and has now been reproduced in reply 12. --towr
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2007, 10:49am by towr » IP Logged
Michael Dagg
Senior Riddler

« Reply #8 on: Oct 25th, 2006, 9:11am »

Icarus, notice that ecoist's solution has gone corrupt -- well, sort of.

There are lots of nice solutions on this forum that would be a pity to loose.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2006, 9:17am by Michael Dagg » IP Logged

Regards,
Michael Dagg
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 25th, 2006, 7:25pm »

Indeed. Unfortunately, I don't have any more ability to correct this than you do. I've sent an E-mail to William Wu about it. I don't know if he'll be able to do anything either.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

« Reply #10 on: Oct 25th, 2006, 9:46pm »

Hello,

Allegedly around 1% of data hosted on OCF was lost in the recent OCF server outage, when the hard drives failed. Please let me know of any other instances of lost/corrupted data, and I will try to work with the staff to recover it if possible.

It appears the forum is much faster now!  Cheesy
IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #11 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 1:06am »

on Oct 25th, 2006, 9:46pm, william wu wrote:
It appears the forum is much faster now!  Cheesy
Appearances may be deceiving. It comes and goes; the forum was even unreachable at timed yesterday.

Quote:
Please let me know of any other instances of lost/corrupted data, and I will try to work with the staff to recover it if possible.
alien's account has been lost (I emailed you about it, but maybe that got lost too)
And posts seem to be disappearing occasionally.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2006, 1:07am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
ecoist
Senior Riddler

« Reply #12 on: Oct 7th, 2007, 10:37am »

Finally getting around to rewriting the corrupted post solving this problem!

Let G be a group of order n2 with n+1 subgroups of order n with pairwise trivial intersection.  Then G is an elementary abelian p-group.  

Proof.  The integer n is greater than 1 because a group of order 1 cannot have two subgroups.  Also, every nonidentity element of G belongs to a unique one of the n+1 given subgroups of order n.  Let A and B be any two of the given subgroups of order n.  Then G=AB.  We show A is normal in G.  Suppose that, for some x in G, x-1ax lies outside A.  Then, without loss we may assume x-1ax=b in B, and that x=a*b*, with a* in A and b* in B.  But then  

b=x-1ax=b*-1a*-1aa*b*;  

so  

b*bb*-1=a*-1aa*=1,  

because A and B have trivial intersection.  Hence b=1, contradiction.  Therefore, A is normal in G; and so, too, are all of the given subgroups of order n.  Next we show that G is abelian. So far, we know that G is the direct product of A and B.  Let x be any element of G outside of both A and B.  Then x belongs to a unique one, say C, of the given subgroups of order n.  Hence every element of C commutes with every element of both A and B (because G is the direct product of both C and A and C and B), whence x is in the center of G.  Switching roles of A, B, and C, it follows that G is abelian.  Finally, we show that every nonidentity element of G must have the same prime order. Let a be an element of prime order p in A and let b be any nonidentity element of B.  Then ab lies outside both A and B and hence lies in a unique one of the given subgroups of order n, say, without loss, C. Now C determines an isomorphism from A to B defined by, f(a) is the unique element of B such that af(a) lies in C.  It follows that every nonidentity element of A has order p.  Hence A and B are elementary abelian p-groups; and so G is an elementary abelian p-group of order p2k, for some prime p and positive integer k.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »