wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Right inverse but no left inverse in a ring »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 11:17pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: william wu, towr, SMQ, Icarus, Eigenray, Grimbal)
   Right inverse but no left inverse in a ring
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Right inverse but no left inverse in a ring  (Read 8228 times)
ecoist
Senior Riddler

Right inverse but no left inverse in a ring  
« on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 9:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Let R be a ring with 1 and let a be an element of R with right inverse b (ab=1) but no left inverse in R.  Show that a has infinitely many right inverses in R.
IP Logged
Pietro K.C.

115936899 115936899    

Re: Right inverse but no left inverse in a ring  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21st, 2006, 2:32am »

Jolly good problem! After I get some sleep, and if there seems to be interest, I'll post my tortuous way towards the solution I found. For now, let me just state the results:

Take a,b as in the problem statement, i.e. ab=1 and 'a' without a left inverse. Consider the expression

an-1 - ban

It is never zero, as that would imply ba=1, contrary to our hypothesis. To see this, just suppose it WAS equal to zero and right-multiply everything by bn-1.

What's more, the above expression doesn't repeat values either. That is, if

f : N --> R is defined by

f(n) = an-1 - ban

then f is injective. To see this, suppose f(m) = f(n) for m>n to obtain the following equation:

am-1 - bam = an-1 - ban

Right-multiply everything by bn. The right side vanishes, giving us

am-n-1 - bam-n = 0

whence

am-n-1 = bam-n.

Right-multiply through by bm-n-1 to obtain ba=1, again contrary to initial supposition. So f is injective. Why is all this relevant? To allow us to construct an infinite family of right inverses to 'a'. It should be obvious that the expression under consideration,

an-1 - ban

has the very convenient property of vanishing under left-multiplication by 'a'. Therefore, if ab=1, then

a(b + an-1 - ban) = 1

for all natural n. Since g(x) = b+x is also injective, the above is an infinite family of right inverses.

IP Logged

"I always wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked it up in the dictionary under 'L' and there it was --- the meaning of life. It was not what I expected." (Dogbert)
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 10:53pm »

Very nice solution, Pietro!  Cheesy

Please, tell your story.
IP Logged
Michael Dagg
Senior Riddler

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30th, 2006, 2:37pm »

Pietro K.C. result is on track with the classical result.

It also follows that right ideal is infinite as well.

The elements b + ( 1 - b a ) a^i  are all right inverses of [a], and (assuming [ba] is not equal to  1) are distinct.

If the number of right inverses of [a] is finite, it follows that b + ( 1 - b a ) a^i = b + ( 1 - b a ) a^j for some  i < j.  
Subtract [b],  and then multiply on the right by  b^j; from  ab=1 (and thus (1-ba)b = 0) we conclude  1 - ba = 0.

So if there are only finitely many right inverses, it's because there is a 2-sided inverse.

This problem is well known to the ring cognoscenti and it first appeared in N. Jacobson's algebra text and is attributed to Ivan Kaplansky.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2006, 2:42pm by Michael Dagg » IP Logged

Regards,
Michael Dagg
Eigenray
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 12:31am »

This actually came up for an algebra course I was grading.  A student had assumed that:

Any non-unit of R is contained in a maximal left-ideal.

While false in general, before deciding how to grade it I wanted to know whether it was even true in the case under discussion (and how obviously true/false it was):

G is a finite group, F is a field, and R = F[G] is the group ring.

Of course if F were finite it would follow from the proof in this thread, but there was no such assumption.

So, is it true in this case?  And as a followup: can you think of more classes of rings in which it is true that left-unit implies unit?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »