wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Pigeonholing intervals »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 8:39am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: william wu, towr, Grimbal, SMQ, Eigenray, Icarus)
   Pigeonholing intervals
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Pigeonholing intervals  (Read 611 times)
ecoist
Senior Riddler

Pigeonholing intervals  
« on: Feb 19th, 2007, 4:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Show that, given any mn+1 real number intervals of any sort (open, closed, half-open, empty, or nonempty), where m and n are positive integers, some m+1 of them are pairwise disjoint or some n+1 of them have a nonempty intersection.
IP Logged
kiochi

Re: Pigeonholing intervals  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:27am »

isn't this just a special case of ramsey's theorem?
IP Logged
ecoist
Senior Riddler

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 11:29am »

Well, a very special, and well-known, case of Ramsey's Theorem says that, in any group of 6 people, 3 are mutual friends or 3 are mutual strangers.  This conclusion is false for a group of 5 people.  Taking m=n=2, the posed problem says, given any 5 intervals, either 3 have a nonempty intersection or 3 are pairwise disjoint, which is true.
IP Logged
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

I am no special. I am only passionately curious.

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:58pm »

I have been trying to prove this along the lines of,
http://www.cut-the-knot.org/pigeonhole/seq.shtml

Bleh and i am not getting anywhere.

-- AI
IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
Eigenray
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 3:43am »

The first thing I thought of is that given mn+1 real numbers, there's either an increasing subsequence of length m+1, or a decreasing subsequence of length n+1.  I couldn't get that apply, but then I remembered that it can be proved by Dilworth's theorem:

hidden:
Let P be a poset.  Then either P contains an antichain of size m+1, or P is a union of at most m chains.

For intervals I,J, write I < J if I,J are disjoint and I is to the left of J.  This is clearly a partial order on our mn+1 intervals.  If P contains an antichain of size m+1, then we have m+1 intervals, any two of which intersect.  Otherwise, P is a union of at most m chains, and one of these chains must have size at least n+1 by Pigeonhole.  This gives n+1 intervals, no two of which intersect.

This can be viewed as providing an improved Ramsey bound R(m+1,n+1) = mn+1 in the case of comparability graphs.  (For the lower bound, take m copies of a complete graph on n vertices.)

It remains to show that if any two intervals intersect, then they have a common intersection.  If they are all closed, this is clear since

[ai, bi] = [ max ai, min bi ],

and pairwise intersections show that no ai > bj.  And if some interval I is not closed, and intersects J1, ..., Jm, then for each i, we can find a closed interval (a point, even) Ii' I which still intersects Ji, and replace I with convexhull(Ii') I.  And if these new intervals have a common intersection, certainly the old ones do.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »