wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Permutation groups where only 1 fixes two letters »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 9:19am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: SMQ, towr, william wu, Icarus, Eigenray, Grimbal)
   Permutation groups where only 1 fixes two letters
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Permutation groups where only 1 fixes two letters  (Read 808 times)
ecoist
Senior Riddler

Permutation groups where only 1 fixes two letters  
« on: May 9th, 2007, 6:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Let G be a finite group with a subgroup H such that H is its own normalizer in G and any two conjugates of H intersect trivially.  Using character theory, it can be shown that the identity and all elements of G not in any conjugate of H form a subgroup N normal in G.  Is there a proof of this that does not use character theory?

(Oops!  Had left out "any conjugate of" in the original post.)
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2007, 10:21am by ecoist » IP Logged
Obob
Senior Riddler

Re: Permutation groups where only 1 fixes two lett  
« Reply #1 on: May 9th, 2007, 7:11pm »

The subgroup N, shown to exist via character theory, is usually defined as the set of elements of G that act on the coset space G/H without fixed points.  The theorem invoked to prove N is in fact a normal subgroup is called Frobenius' theorem, which states that for a transitive permutation group G on a set X, such that no element other than the identity has more than one fixed point, the set of fixed-point free elements together with the identity gives a normal subgroup of G.  I know I have been told by Jon Alperin that no known proof of Frobenius' theorem without character theory is known.

Now suppose we have a proof that the Frobenius kernel N of any Frobenius group G is normal.  (A Frobenius group is a group G with a subgroup H satisfying the hypotheses of the riddle; the Frobenius kernel is the set of fixed-point free elements of G for the action on G/H, together with the identity.)  Let us show that this implies Frobenius' theorem is true.

We are given a group G acting transitively and faithfully on a set X.  The G-set X is then isomorphic to the coset space G/H as a G-set, since any transitive G-set is isomorphic to such a G-set.  Every element of G fixes at most one coset in G/H.  Now the stabilizer of g_1 H is g_1 H g_1^{-1}, so if g_1 H g_1^{-1} intersects g_2 H g_2^{-1} nontrivially, there is some g fixing both g_1 H and g_2 H, whence g_1 H = g_2 H, and therefore g_1 H g_1^{-1} = g_2 H g_2^{-1}.  Hence any two conjugates of H intersect trivially or are equal.  If g is not in H, then the stabilizer of g H meets the stabilizer of H trivially, since any element of G fixing both is the identity.  This implies H is self-normalizing.  Thus G is a Frobenius group with Frobenius complement H, and N is a normal subgroup.  Thus Frobenius' theorem holds.

In particular, a character-theory free proof of the statement about Frobenius groups implies a character-theory free proof of Frobenius' theorem.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2007, 10:37am by Obob » IP Logged
ecoist
Senior Riddler

« Reply #2 on: May 9th, 2007, 11:06pm »

You are misstaken, Obob.  The number of elements in the set N is |G|-(|H|-1)[G:H], where [G:H] is the index in G of H.  This is because H has [G:H] conjugates and two distinct conjugates have only the identity in common.  Hence |N|=[G:H].  The statement as given is equivalent to G being a permutation group in which only the identity fixes two letters.

If Alperin is right, you have answered my question, but I find it hard to believe that character theory is required for this result.
IP Logged
Obob
Senior Riddler

« Reply #3 on: May 10th, 2007, 8:24am »

Didn't you define N to be the complement of H, together with 1?  I agree that, with the correct definition of N, |N|=[G:H], and in fact G is the semidirect product of H and N.
IP Logged
Obob
Senior Riddler

« Reply #4 on: May 10th, 2007, 8:27am »

I haven't had the time to read it, but this book review seems to support Alperin's position.

http://www.ams.org/bull/1999-36-04/S0273-0979-99-00789-2/S0273-0979-99-0 0789-2.pdf
IP Logged
ecoist
Senior Riddler

« Reply #5 on: May 10th, 2007, 10:25am »

Sorry, Obob.  Just now saw the error in my post and corrected it.

I'd like to see those "partial proofs" in Huppert's book!
IP Logged
Obob
Senior Riddler

« Reply #6 on: May 10th, 2007, 10:33am »

Unfortunately Amazon doesn't have search inside this book for Huppert's book, and it appears to be checked out at my library.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »