wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Calc 3 help »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 9:50am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: william wu, Grimbal, towr, Icarus, Eigenray, SMQ)
   Calc 3 help
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Calc 3 help  (Read 3144 times)
Wardub

Calc 3 help  
« on: Jan 8th, 2008, 11:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys it's me again.  I'd like to thank everyone that helped me in Discrete Math.  Now I'm taking Calc 3 or multi variable Calc.  And i will probably need help in the future.  So I'll have problems.  My main problem now is I haven't taken Calc in like 8 months and I'm a bit rusty.  I remember all the basic derivatives stuff  I think  Embarassed   Anyways i need a refresher and I have a few things to ask.  Hopefully my parents can find my notes and mail them to me.

I remember there is something special with the exponential function and I forgot how to take the derivative and anti derivative of that.

So could someone explain both of those for f(x) = e^-3x ?

Then I believe the anti derivative of 1/x is ln(x) correct?  Just making sure.

Also I want to say the derivative of sin is cosine but i can't remember if its the other way around.

And lastly I can't remember how to do anti derivatives very well.  I can do easy things like 6x^2 = 2x^3 but i Can't do more complicated ones.   also I forgot integration by parts.  So if any of you could help, i would highly appreciate it.  I think after I see a few It will all come back hopefully.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Calc 3 help  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 3:11pm »

on Jan 8th, 2008, 11:27am, Wardub wrote:
I remember there is something special with the exponential function and I forgot how to take the derivative and anti derivative of that.

So could someone explain both of those for f(x) = e^-3x ?
Two things to know
d/dx ex = ex
d/dx ef(x) = f'(x) ef(x)  

[The latter is just a case of the rule d/dx g(f(x)) = f'(x)g'(f(x)) ]

Quote:
Then I believe the anti derivative of 1/x is ln(x) correct?
Yes

Quote:
Also I want to say the derivative of sin is cosine but i can't remember if its the other way around.
sin -> cos -> -sin -> -cos -> sin
Remember the graphs, sin starts at zero and goes up, so its derivative must be positive at the start, so it must be cos.

Quote:
And lastly I can't remember how to do anti derivatives very well.  I can do easy things like 6x^2 = 2x^3 but i Can't do more complicated ones.   also I forgot integration by parts.  So if any of you could help, i would highly appreciate it.  I think after I see a few It will all come back hopefully.
Do you have a specific example?
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Hippo
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 3:56pm »

on Jan 8th, 2008, 11:27am, Wardub wrote:
I can't do more complicated ones.   also I forgot integration by parts.  So if any of you could help, i would highly appreciate it.  I think after I see a few It will all come back hopefully.

It is not so simple in general Wink

Per partes uses formula for derivative of product:
(f.g)'= f'.g+f.g'.
Uf you are looking for "antiderivatives" of f.g', it is f.g - antiderivative of f'.g.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2008, 3:57pm by Hippo » IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 7:43am »

The big problem with integration by parts is trying to pick your two functions in such a way that you can integrate the one differentiate the other to produce an easier expression. The rule is

udv = uv - vdu

or (in a more directly applicable form):

f(x)g'(x) dx = f(x)g(x) - f'(x)g(x) dx

Sometimes, there are obvious ways of writing the expression you are trying to integrate as a product, which allows you to easily figure out how to do something useful:

xex dx = xex - 1ex dx = xex - ex + C   (f(x) = x, g'(x) = ex, g(x) = ex)

Often, though, you have to be creative to figure out what division of the integrand would be useful:

ln(x) dx = xln(x) - x/x dx = xln(x) - x + C.  (f(x) = ln(x), g'(x) = 1, g(x) = x)

It is very easy to choose poorly, and therefore get something worse than you started with:

xcos(x) dx = x2cos(x)/2 + x2sin(x)/2 dx    Sad     (f(x)=cos(x), g'(x) = x, g(x) = x2/2)

Sometimes, you can seem to get nowhere, but in fact, if you do additional integrations by parts, the answer slips out in an unexpected direction:

excos(x) dx = excos(x) + exsin(x) dx = excos(x) + exsin(x) - excos(x) dx. Solving for the integral gives excos(x) dx = ex(cos(x) + sin(x))/2 + C.
(first int by parts: f(x)=cos(x), g(x)=g'(x)=ex; 2nd int by parts: f(x)=sin(x), g(x)=g'(x)=ex)
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Wardub

« Reply #4 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 8:32am »

Thanks everyone I am starting to remember Smiley.  Ok I knew there was something special about e^x so when taking the anti derivative is it e^(w/e)/ derivative of (w/e)  for example e^2x = e^2x/2?  Im pretty sure thats how you take them with the expo function.  

And I get the cycle for sin to cos to -sin ... so thanks for that.

Lastly Icarus thanks for trying to help me understand integration by parts i still am not fully sure of how to do it.  I remember it can often take doing the integration by parts multiple times.  Anyway how i was taught was with the U V DU and DV but i cant remember exactly how to do it.  For your example of xe^x  which is the U?  and which is the DV.  I remember there was like a rule to which was which.  Hmm I'm not explaining myself well.  Could you for your example explain which is the U and why?  also for the other V and DU/DV Because i think that would help me get it.  Thanks again everyone.  I'm starting my first chapter of calc 3 tonight, So i might post question but hopefully i get it Smiley  Good thing is homework isn't graded and we have quizzes that are extracredit so I think I should do pretty well I just need to make sure I understand it for the tests.  Thanks again everyone.
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 9:02am »

on Jan 9th, 2008, 8:32am, Wardub wrote:
... so when taking the anti derivative is it e^(w/e)/ derivative of (w/e)  for example e^2x = e^2x/2?  Im pretty sure thats how you take them with the expo function.  

No.  Not if "w/e" means "whatever".
   (ef(x))' = ef(x)·f'(x)
doesn't imply
   (ef(x)) = ef(x)/f'(x)

It works in your example because f'(x) is a constant, i.e. f(x) = a·x.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2008, 9:05am by Grimbal » IP Logged
pex
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 9:06am »

on Jan 9th, 2008, 8:32am, Wardub wrote:
Thanks everyone I am starting to remember Smiley.  Ok I knew there was something special about e^x so when taking the anti derivative is it e^(w/e)/ derivative of (w/e)  for example e^2x = e^2x/2?  Im pretty sure thats how you take them with the expo function.

This only works if (w/e) is linear - indeed, an antiderivative of eax+b is (1/a)eax+b, if a is nonzero.

However, it does not work for nonlinear exponents. Clearly, eln x = x, so an antiderivative is (1/2)x2. Your "rule" would give  an antiderivative eln x / (1/x) = x2, which is incorrect.

Taking it even further, consider ex^2. Taking antiderivatives as you propose leads to ex^2 / (2x), but it has been proven that no "elementary" antiderivative of ex^2 exists at all!

Edit: I'm slow...
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2008, 9:07am by pex » IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 11:29am »

xex dx = xex - 1ex dx = xex - ex + C  

u = x; dv = exdx  (so v = ex).

ln(x) dx = xln(x) - x/x dx = xln(x) - x + C.

u = ln(x); dv = dx (so v = x)

xcos(x) dx = x2cos(x)/2 + x2sin(x)/2 dx    Sad    

u = cos(x); dv = xdx (so v = x2/2).  A much better choice would have been to make u = x; dv = cos(x)dx, but that would spoil my example!

excos(x) dx = excos(x) + exsin(x) dx = excos(x) + exsin(x) - excos(x) dx. Solving for the integral gives excos(x) dx = ex(cos(x) + sin(x))/2 + C.

First integration by parts: u = cos(x); dv = exdx (so v = ex)
second integration by parts: u = sin(x); dv = exdx (so v = ex)

IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »