wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Floor Summation »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:05pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: Icarus, william wu, towr, SMQ, Grimbal, Eigenray)
   Floor Summation
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Floor Summation  (Read 8568 times)
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

Floor Summation  
« on: Nov 9th, 2009, 6:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Evaluate

81ntanh/10n
   n=1
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Obob
Senior Riddler

Re: Floor Summation  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 9th, 2009, 2:18pm »

It's roughly 1 - 2.413 * 10-264.  Are you looking for an actual precise answer, or is the point just that tanh pi is close to 1?
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2009, 2:50pm by Obob » IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #2 on: Nov 11th, 2009, 3:25am »

on Nov 9th, 2009, 2:18pm, Obob wrote:
It's roughly 1 - 2.413 * 10-264.  Are you looking for an actual precise answer, or is the point just that tanh pi is close to 1?

As I am not expecting an exact answer, perhaps I should have put this elsewhere.
The point is that the answer, a transcendental number, requires at least 239 decimal places before we can discover it does not equal 1. And even more if we want to consider rounding errors.

Do you normally sum series to such precision?  Smiley
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Obob
Senior Riddler

« Reply #3 on: Nov 11th, 2009, 6:10am »

I just observed that the first time floor(n tanh pi) != n-1 occurs around n = 267 or so, summed the series 81(n-1)/10^n = 1, and then gave as a rough error estimate an approximation of the difference between the two series.

I guess I'm just saying that there is no reason to use tanh pi except for obfuscation; the real result lurking here is that

limx->1- sum (floor(n x))/10^n = 1, and that the convergence occurs very quickly.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »